Avengers Sentry: Reborn discussion [Jenkins/Romita, Jr.] [spoilers]

Re: The new Sentry mini discussion (spoilers)

UltimateE said:
I didn't put too much stock in that...after all it was the Void who said it. Not saying it doesn't mean anything, but it read more like a suggestion just to confuse the doctor.
I thought that too when I first read it but the way it was played out, that Robert/the Void already had the upperhand and wants to kill him anyway because "he knows the truth", makes me belive that he was telling the truth.

UltimateE said:
But that *is* a pretty cool and interesting idea, and could save this mini if it's played right. If they would have dropped that bombshell at the end of issue 1 and had the series exploring that idea instead of the entire first half *****footing around and not following a recognizable plot I'd probably feel a lot different about this.
Agreed.
UltimateE said:
The art is still terrible though.
Agreed 110%.

Last edited:

I only realized last issue this was an 8 issue mini-series. I'm just not sure what they're going to do for three more issues. Issue 5 was the first issue where I felt like the Sentry character was changing.

This mini better not end with him flying off to some distant galaxy because "he's too powerful to stay on earth." That seems to be the MO of "god" characters. The only way I see him sticking around is if he has a major power loss.

I really liked how cloc is in the ally behind the bar with an array of lasers and says they've been deemed a risk to over 6 billion human lives and just kills thems. For an artifical life form, he's surprisingly interesting character.

MaxwellSmart said:
I only realized last issue this was an 8 issue mini-series. I'm just not sure what they're going to do for three more issues. Issue 5 was the first issue where I felt like the Sentry character was changing.

There was little to no plot in the first 4 issues. Assuming things continue from issue 5, it's basically a 4 issue mini with a few preludes.

MaxwellSmart said:
This mini better not end with him flying off to some distant galaxy because "he's too powerful to stay on earth." That seems to be the MO of "god" characters. The only way I see him sticking around is if he has a major power loss.

I don't think so...he's an Avenger now and as far as I know Bendis is using him. I would guess there's some kind of internal battle and he "absorbs" both personalities. I'm hoping that it's a give-and-take thing, where the stronger one gets, the stronger the other gets. Certainly would save him from being a Superman clone.

MaxwellSmart said:
I really liked how cloc is in the ally behind the bar with an array of lasers and says they've been deemed a risk to over 6 billion human lives and just kills thems. For an artifical life form, he's surprisingly interesting character.

He's probably the most interesting character so far. I like how he is working around his limitations in programming.

Ultimate Warrior said:
That the Sentry is the seperate entity and Robert is actually the Void.

WTF?

I didn't pick up #2 of this stupid series. How the hell does this even make sense? I thought Robert was Sentry and the Void. Doesn't him not being the Sentry negate the whole 'addict' metaphor?

Bass said:
WTF?

I didn't pick up #2 of this stupid series. How the hell does this even make sense? I thought Robert was Sentry and the Void. Doesn't him not being the Sentry negate the whole 'addict' metaphor?
THIS IS JUST MY ASSUMPTIONS AND NOT EXPLAINED (YET) IN THE COMICS!!!
I might have some problem explaining this so bare with me:

From what I can tell, when Robert became the Sentry and the Void (how is unsure at the moment) his body split in two and we where made to believe that the "soul", in lack of a better word for our bodily controlling part, from Robert was transferred into the Sentry part and the Void got the dark, more sinister part of Robert which made a new entity with a new "soul" (because the soul can't be split in two, only being transferred or something) that Robert didn't have when not in the Sentry/Void form. However now we learn that it was the opposite. The "soul" of Robert was actually transferred into the Void and a new "soul" was made into the Sentry from the good parts of Roberts (or something).
Hope that made sense.

If I have made some mistake, please post and correct me.

Last edited:

This is a simpler way to put it:

It was suggested that instead of the Void being the "dark side" of the Sentry, the Sentry is the "light side" of the Void. As in, Robert became the Void and is developing the Sentry as a persona to battle that, because he is inherently evil and knows he has to stop himself.

UltimateE said:

It was suggested that instead of the Void being the "dark side" of the Sentry, the Sentry is the "light side" of the Void. As in, Robert became the Void and is developing the Sentry as a persona to battle that, because he is inherently evil and knows he has to stop himself.

i dig...suddenly it all seems so interesting

selfproclaimed said:
i dig...suddenly it all seems so interesting

It really is. It's just too bad it took 5 issues to get to this point. And I'm not even sure it will be the main plot of the series.

UltimateE said:

Thank you. That sounded much better than my explanation. I always complicate things by trying to explain into the smallest detail. I have to work on that.

UltimateE said:

If that's how it goes... then the Sentry just got back to becoming as interesting as he was in the original mini and then some.

TheManWithoutFear said:
If that's how it goes... then the Sentry just got back to becoming as interesting as he was in the original mini and then some.

I agree, but again given how the first 4 issues rambled I don't know if I trust Jenkins to carry this out and make it all it can be. Like I said, drop that bomb at the end of #1 and this is a completely different series.

Granted the art would still be bad...

UltimateE said:
It really is. It's just too bad it took 5 issues to get to this point. And I'm not even sure it will be the main plot of the series.

it's just rather unfortunate that it took this long b/c they probably lost some readers by not dropping the bomb in issue #1 and now they have to play catch-up in order to redeem themselves

Last edited:

selfproclaimed said:
it's just rather unfortunate that it took this long b/c they probably lost some readers by not dropping the bomb in issue #1 and now they have to play catch-up in order to redeem themselves

Yes, and also think of what a cool background and history the Sentry has. He could be uncovering things about his past, this time looking for answers or clues for 4 issues instead of having all that filler junk with Hulk and whatnot, which did nothing to contribute to the overall plot (again, assuming that we are now into the meat of the plot/book).

Well we got confirmation that Roberts IS the Void and the Sentry is the separate being. When that is out in the open the blockade that had keeping the two together is finally broken. Roberts/the Void is now working separately. The Sentry visits Doc Strange to find out if he really exists and if he does who/what he is. Strange sees a vision of a building that could have the answers the Sentry is looking for but warns him that he shouldn't go there.
The Sentry, curious for answers, doesn't do as he is told and visits the facility.
Well inside he sits down on a chair and slowly transforms into a drooling man in a straitjacket who is looked in a cell.

Pretty good. It keeps me in suspense. I'm gonna get #7 too.

It's a shame that this is just now becoming one of my favorite comics right when it's wrapping up. The "Ultimate Sentry" thing with Robbie being a teenage drug addict made me laugh because it perfectly mocked the Ultimate Universe. I have a feeling that that's not going to be his true origin.

No comments on #7. Interesting.

Because I read it, and I have no idea what is going on. This series is baffling. It's all over the map and doesn't seem to have a central plot. It's like a bunch of unrelated stories in one series with no hope of being tied together.

It makes no sense. I can't even say I hate it because I don't have a clue what it's about.

I keep thinking they're going to explain everything in the next issue, but they never do. I've gotten to the point where I think they already have and I missed it. I couldn't say for sure. I'm still reading it though because I'm convinced it's going to have a great ending, but I starting to consider it might not.

Latest posts

Back