Avengers Sentry: Reborn discussion [Jenkins/Romita, Jr.] [spoilers]

Bass

Nexus of the World
I got this today and I have to say, I was blown away.

Considering how good the original Sentry mini by Jenkins (who is also doing this mini) and considering how invented Sentry and the Void and everything - I was just completely blown away by how much it sucks.

This mini was just ****ing awful. Here we have the most powerful superhero and they turned all these amazing feats he does; saving people across the world, keeping the most powerful supervillain - himself - in check, all this they turned into a monotous, dull, and insipid desk job.

He's just busy.

Terrax comes down and tells us he's going to destroy the planet because we're guilty of having sentience. He takes out an army. Sentry shows up, ignores Terrax's death blasts, then - with one hand - breaks Terrax's hands and his cosmic axe.

Where's the goddamn drama. I found the Void, sitting there with a ****ing stupid cartoon grin on his face and in a purple Dick Tracy suit complete with hat, to not be a credible threat at all. I just thought, "Let him out and kick his ***. You can probably do it while you're asleep". I thought this because I had to read the issue twice to make sure Sentry had his eyes open when he defeated both Attuma and Terrax in this issue since it required no effort on his part to dispense with either.

The original mini was wonderfully original, and the Void was a living nightmare. The story had the aesthetic of a night terror, and it was wonderful.

The new Sentry reads like ****ty Superman comics from 15 years ago.

Complete waste of my time and money.

Sorry.

I was going to start this earlier and didn't have a chance.

I almost agree. I wouldn't say it sucked, but it was disappointing.

The art - now THAT sucked. Sorry - I just don't like JRJR's art. At all. I drew better than that in 4th grade. What a disappointing step down from Jae Lee and Steve McNiven. Blech.

I can see why he'd have more trouble against Void than Terrax or Attuma. I can accept that he'd have a harder time fighting himself than anyone else, especially since he's the most powerful anyone in anywhere. I also don't really have a problem with how he looks...he takes on different forms. And he's had the "Dick Tracy" look before.

But Bass you're right - they made it look like saving the world is a desk job. 1 issue in, and I'm not impressed. If it contributes to his psyche in a negative way (i.e. Void), then maybe something is going on that I can wait out.

But yeah - the original Sentry series was...profound. This just isn't.

I thought Romita's art was the saving grace. I loved his Terrax.

But... this was just crap. I'm not picking up #2. The Sentry is just a bollocks Superman. **** him.

I'm waiting for All-Star Superman. That is something I'm really excited about.

I must say that I don't like where they're taking the character. I have been a Sentry fan since the original miniseries, back when people would say "Who the hell is the Sentry?" The original mini was very intellectual and it was supposed to just be a one-time deal. It shows how Superman would have been in the Marvel Universe and it showed it well. But bringing him back and using these excuses, it doesn't fit. If Bendis wanted a Superman for New Avengers, he could have easily plucked Gladiator out since he's not doing anything these days. The Sentry was an amazing, touching character who made the ultimate sacrifice: he gave up ultimate power to become an agorophobic schizophrenic in order to save the world, nay, the universe. But having him turn into a typical superhero and taking away the dynamic that because of him being the greatest hero that his subconscious was also the greatest villain, it just ruins the character. **** you, Bendis.

There is quite a bit here that either contradicts the last issue of New Avengers or makes no sense from a psychological point of view. Robert Reynolds can't really be considered schizophrenic - that's defined as a person whose view of reality is distorted, often to the point of hallucinations or delusions. So either he IS the Sentry or everything he does as the Sentry is just a personal delusion. I suppose it could be that the Void is still an "implanted" condition and that the Sentry "persona" has become more rigid and less "regular human" in order to fight off the Void and the drugs and the counseling are to try and bring Robert and the split Sentry/Void entity back together. In many ways, Robert is FAR sicker than the Scarlet Witch ever was and much closer to snapping.

I'd prefer the "Sentry isn't real" answer, because I really disliked the way the New Avengers were portrayed, just waiting for the Sentry to come and save them. It seemed... un-Avengerish, as does the Sentry just blowing the head off of Attuma.

I liked Jenkin's first Sentry mini, but that one had the advantage of being a more-or-less "what if" issue, only loosely tied to regular Marvel continuity. In this one, Sentry has to be tied firmly back into continuity, and I don't see how this is going to happen.

Also, wasn't this exactly what one of Busiek's characters in Astro City did (Samaritan?)? He had an AI that alerted him to problems all around the world and he spent his days and nights fighting disasters and crime, becoming ever-more weary and depressed.

Rhyo said:
There is quite a bit here that either contradicts the last issue of New Avengers or makes no sense from a psychological point of view. Robert Reynolds can't really be considered schizophrenic - that's defined as a person whose view of reality is distorted, often to the point of hallucinations or delusions.
Chiming in from a non-reader perspective, he's likely comics-schizophrenic. Meaning he's got multiple personalities.

Doc Comic said:
**** you, Bendis.

Say that louder and more often.

Rhyo said:
Also, wasn't this exactly what one of Busiek's characters in Astro City did (Samaritan?)? He had an AI that alerted him to problems all around the world and he spent his days and nights fighting disasters and crime, becoming ever-more weary and depressed.

This is what I mean. Instead of being new and interesting, a clever take on the Superman myth or the Superhero genre as the original was, he's become a giant yellow cliche with a ****ing S on his waist.

I'm just really pissed off. I was looking forward to seeing something... good. Instead I got this tired old bollocks.

Bass said:
This is what I mean. Instead of being new and interesting, a clever take on the Superman myth or the Superhero genre as the original was, he's become a giant yellow cliche with a ****ing S on his waist.

I'm just really pissed off. I was looking forward to seeing something... good. Instead I got this tired old bollocks.
Exactly. That's the point I was making.

Re: The new Sentry mini discussion (spoilers)

This mini blows. I takes all the good part of the original sentry series, the sentry part of New avengers, throws it away and makes a big pile of CRAP.

Hate it.

And i like the Sentry as a Character as well.

Meh.

Hate is a strong word...I don't hate it, but it certainly is disappointing.

I haven't got the foggiest idea what the point is supposed to be. Although judging by what Void was saying in this issue, it seems as if we might finally be getting somewhere. Maybe.

Sentry #6 (DEC052030D, $2.99; FOC 02/02/06) is part of an eight-issue mini-series, not six-issue mini-series as indicated in the December Marvel Previews. It is correctly listed in the December Previews Retailer Order Form.
Just posting incase.

icemastertron said:
Just posting incase.

Thanks - I assumed they had cut back like they did 1602 New World.

UltimateE said:
Hate is a strong word...I don't hate it, but it certainly is disappointing.

I haven't got the foggiest idea what the point is supposed to be. Although judging by what Void was saying in this issue, it seems as if we might finally be getting somewhere. Maybe.

Maybe is right. I'll keep buying this book because I have to think that, in the end (or pretty soon), everything makes sense.

The Sentry #5:

Not the biggest fan of the series but I'm glad that we got an revelation that was new even for those who had read the original mini.

Ultimate Warrior said:
The Sentry #5:

Not the biggest fan of the series but I'm glad that we got an revelation that was new even for those who had read the original mini.

#5 was more interesting than the previosu 4 issues.

Which revelation are you talking about?

Ultimate Warrior said:
That the Sentry is the seperate entity and Robert is actually the Void.

Ah. Gotcha.

I didn't put too much stock in that...after all it was the Void who said it. Not saying it doesn't mean anything, but it read more like a suggestion just to confuse the doctor.

But that *is* a pretty cool and interesting idea, and could save this mini if it's played right. If they would have dropped that bombshell at the end of issue 1 and had the series exploring that idea instead of the entire first half *****footing around and not following a recognizable plot I'd probably feel a lot different about this.

The art is still terrible though.

Latest posts

Back