• All of the Above

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaggyd

The member formerly known as skotti-chan
Apple Inc. will use a special media event on September 5th to introduce a new array of digital media offerings, according to digital invitations issued to analysts and members of the media Tuesday afternoon.

The invites, which arrived by e-mail, depict an enlarged CoverFlow interface with the caption, "The beat goes on." The wording appears to have been borrowed from the trailing line of The Beatles' final press release, which was issued by Apple Records on April 10, 1970, following the band's split.

"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you," read the 1970 Beatles release. "When the spinning stops -- that'll be the time to worry, not before. Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."

Apple's event is scheduled to take place at the Moscone West in San Francisco on September 5 at 10:00 a.m.

Apple is widely expected to use the gathering to usher in a new breed of Mac OS X-based iPods. Additional announcements relating to the company's iTunes software and digital media download service are also expected.

Hmm, I dunno if I'm the only one excited about this. So, I posted.

I'm hoping the rumors that the 6th Gen iPods will be touch sensitive like the iPhone.

Hmm, I dunno if I'm the only one excited about this. So, I posted.

I'm hoping the rumors that the 6th Gen iPods will be touch sensitive like the iPhone.

Not at all - I'm geeked.

The Beatles thing is cool but doesn't really mean much to me, because I've got all of their stuff on CDs as well as numerous bootlegs. But it is nice that this will expose a new generation to their music.

But if the next iPod is indeed a full touch screen, I'm there on launch day. I'm to the point where I'm only listening to music on my iPhone because it's so much easier to use and the click wheel is a chore to operate.

There is also a rumor that they will announce a ringtone application for the iPhone...something that either sells ringtones through iTunes or lets you crate them from songs purchased in iTunes (or both).

Not at all - I'm geeked.

The Beatles thing is cool but doesn't really mean much to me, because I've got all of their stuff on CDs as well as numerous bootlegs. But it is nice that this will expose a new generation to their music.

But if the next iPod is indeed a full touch screen, I'm there on launch day. I'm to the point where I'm only listening to music on my iPhone because it's so much easier to use and the click wheel is a chore to operate.

There is also a rumor that they will announce a ringtone application for the iPhone...something that either sells ringtones through iTunes or lets you crate them from songs purchased in iTunes (or both).

Oh god...that'll make me so happy, I mean seriously, who wants a siren for a ringtone...

Yeah, the other big rumor is the Nano will become video capable with more memory.

Oh god...that'll make me so happy, I mean seriously, who wants a siren for a ringtone...

Yeah, the other big rumor is the Nano will become video capable with more memory.

Yeah, did you see the leaked photos? Every site that had them were contacted by Apple legal to take them down, so a bunch of the sites put up mockups.

They look exactly like the video iPod except they are shorter. So instead of being long and skinny they are short and fat. I'mnot sure if the screen is the same size.

Some people thought that was great because it makes it less prone to snap in half, like if was in your back pocket and you sat down on it. But I've never heard of that happening.

Not at all - I'm geeked.

Wait so iTunes will have Beatles stuff now? That'd be sweet cuz I always hated not being able to get Beatles music on iTunes (forcing me to buy CDs).

Yeap, my brother is the same way. He doesn't uses the iPod anymore since he has his music on his iPhone.

But that iPod I would love to get.

Wait so iTunes will have Beatles stuff now? That'd be sweet cuz I always hated not being able to get Beatles music on iTunes (forcing me to buy CDs).

It will eventually...no one seems to know when. The entire catalog was remastered a while back. Beatles solo records have been popping up lately - they just put up John Lennon's catalog and Ringo's new Greatest Hits album.

It will eventually...no one seems to know when. The entire catalog was remastered a while back. Beatles solo records have been popping up lately - they just put up John Lennon's catalog and Ringo's new Greatest Hits album.

That's awesome. Now all they need is to get Led Zeppelin on iTunes.

That's awesome. Now all they need is to get Led Zeppelin on iTunes.

Led Zeppelin are extremely adverse to their music in any form other than the original albums, and that includes soundtracks and compilations. Unless they change their mind I don't see it happening any time soon.

Sadly, George's estate refuses to allow his solo work online.

I'm so psyched about the idea of new iPods and the Beatles AND Ring Tones....

C'mon Steve, at least one....PLEASE.

Well, according to the NY Times (which has been wrong before), we will be getting customizable ringtones for the iPhone.

As well as a Product(red) Shuffle.

There better be at least an iPod refresh.

Well, according to the NY Times (which has been wrong before), we will be getting customizable ringtones for the iPhone.

As well as a Product(red) Shuffle.

There better be at least an iPod refresh.

There has to be - no way they'd do a media event just for that.

Digitimes relays more rumors about Apple's expected announcements on Wednesday September 5th.

According to "sources at Tawiwan-based contract manufacturers", Digitimes expects Apple to release an iPod video with touch-control interface.

The new iPod video will also come with a wide-screen panel, high storage capacity and Wi-Fi connectivity, the sources indicated. In addition, the new iPod video is expected to be powered by NAND flash, instead of a hard disk drive (HDD).
Many had assumed the high-end iPod would continue to use a hard drive, but this report indicates Apple may move to entirely to Flash based storage.

Vnunet cites a "reliable industry insider" and claims that Apple's new iPods will be able to receive digital radio and include a "buy-now" function that will allow the user to download and buy tracks as they are being played.

Vnunet's accuracy is unknown, but there have been whispers of wireless/radio integration into the new iPods, but the exact implementation has been unknown.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/03/apple-to-unveil-new-flash-based-ipods-digital-radio/

Totally Flash-based high capacity devices? Wow.

Wi-Fi with purchase capability will be cool.

o.o seriously...NAND??

As far as I can figure, a 32GB NAND based touch screen iPod would cost like....$700

I was kinda hoping to get a new one...but I was kinda hoping to get a bigger one than my current 30GB model.

o.o seriously...NAND??

As far as I can figure, a 32GB NAND based touch screen iPod would cost like....$700

I was kinda hoping to get a new one...but I was kinda hoping to get a bigger one than my current 30GB model.

I was holding out for an 80/90 GB model...I can't see them doing that in NAND.

So while that is pretty cool...I'm a little disappointed.

I was holding out for an 80/90 GB model...I can't see them doing that in NAND.

So while that is pretty cool...I'm a little disappointed.

Yeah, I mean, they make up to 160GB 1.5" drives.

But, I have you admit, flash is pretty attractive on the whole responsiveness and battery life though.

so um as we are mostly talking about iPods here, I figured out how to get music from your iPod back into iTunes for Macs without using a third party program.

Go to the program Terminal.

type in the following command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool yes

then hit enter.

then relaunch finder.

This displays all hidden files, and when you hook up your iPod, you can search through and find your music files (though they are named differently and it is hard to find what you are looking for, you can still get them back on your computer).

then, when you want the hidden files to be hidden again, just go back to Terminal, type in this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool no

then relaunch finder, and BAM they are hidden again.

apple, you sneaky bastards, not letting us easily reverse upload the iPod musics. I figured you out.

This is really useful if your hard drive was erased like mine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back