Seven Soldiers of Victory series discussion (spoilers)

A SOLDIER MUST DIE! Will it be...

• Total voters

Friday

Seven Soldiers of Victory discussion

Is anyone other than myself and Our Chair reading this?

So far I've loved The Gaurdian and Zatanna, but I can't get Shining Knight for some reason. Morrison's done a good job so far of tying things together losely, without forcing it all together. News reports, the right person in a support group, none of it feels forced.

I think I'm looking forward to Mister Miricle the most. I really want to see an update on him work.

Baxter said:
Is anyone other than myself and Our Chair reading this?

So far I've loved The Gaurdian and Zatanna, but I can't get Shining Knight for some reason. Morrison's done a good job so far of tying things together losely, without forcing it all together. News reports, the right person in a support group, none of it feels forced.
It's actually compound who collects The Guardian, but now I'm jealous he's got dibs on it because as you probably already know, I loved Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart's collaboration on Seaguy.

compound can't really afford to pick up all the Seven Soldiers titles because comics are proportionately expensive here, but I'm still figuring out if I can afford to pick up at least one other title, maybe Zatanna or something else.

If anything, I'm hoping DC puts these titles into trades.

ourchair said:
It's actually compound who collects The Guardian, but now I'm jealous he's got dibs on it because as you probably already know, I loved Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart's collaboration on Seaguy.

compound can't really afford to pick up all the Seven Soldiers titles because comics are proportionately expensive here, but I'm still figuring out if I can afford to pick up at least one other title, maybe Zatanna or something else.

If anything, I'm hoping DC puts these titles into trades.
Zatanna's worth it. There are 2 splash pages in it that after I read them I almost couldn't figure out how it was laid out to make sure that you read it all corectly. And there's a bit of an easter egg for SSoV 0 readers in it.

Baxter said:
And there's a bit of an easter egg for SSoV 0 readers in it.
I'd like to think of myself as a pretty observant guy, but I can't figure out what exactly you're referring to.

You might as well spoil it, because nobody else seems to be contributing to this thread...

Was it just the appearance of *plot details*Gimmix during the super-power support group?

Or did I miss something else that was mentioned during Zee's *plot details*astral travels?

Did the *plot details*"man of her dreams" have some obvious connection to *plot details*The Harrowing, which I failed to notice?

compound said:
I'd like to think of myself as a pretty observant guy, but I can't figure out what exactly you're referring to.

You might as well spoil it, because nobody else seems to be contributing to this thread...

Was it just the appearance of *plot details*Gimmix during the super-power support group?

Or did I miss something else that was mentioned during Zee's *plot details*astral travels?

Did the *plot details*"man of her dreams" have some obvious connection to *plot details*The Harrowing, which I failed to notice?

I was refering to Gimmix, but I wouldn't be supprised to see more of it all tie together as we go

7 Soldiers is very good. I'm enjoying it a lot. My favourite though, by far, is Zatanna. Maybe because I prefer the art, I'm not sure, but they're all good.

Baxter said:
Sweet Jeebus! Personally, the art looks gorgeous -- reminds me of Ted Naifeh (sp?), of Courtney Crumrin and How Loathesome fame. The color scheme is suitably creepy, and I love the pilgrim-like visual motifs. It's also got a Tim Burton-esque vibe, and I mean that in the best way possible. I'm very intrigued.

But honestly, I worry that its approach will not do new readers any favors -- I was expecting the individual parts of this crossover/event/whatever-it-is to resemble more straightforward 'mainstream' DC books, aesthetically, but with Morrison's trademark sense of manic wonder, and inventive concepts driving the story forward. Instead, it's looking more and more like 'Vertigo house style invades the DC Universe' with each new title.

Zatanna was immensely entertaining, no doubt, but I still felt like it was "Promethea lite" with a more sassy, down-to-earth attitude.

And with Klarion it seemingly takes a further step into superheoric mysticism, rather than mystical superheroics (if that makes any sense).

I'll probably hold back on Klarion until I check out Bulleteer and Mister Miracle.

compound said:
Zatanna was immensely entertaining, no doubt, but I still felt like it was "Promethea lite" with a more sassy, down-to-earth attitude.

Yes, I felt so too. But I didn't think neccessarily of "lite" in a condescending way, but rather, it's less pure than Promethea as it is part-superhero too.

I'm particularly looking forward to Mister Miracle.

Man, Klarion #2 was cool, especially the way it linked into The Manhattan Guardian. Morrison is really doing a good job of linking the world together, but not the plot, thereby actually fulfilling the promise of seven mini-series that are linked, but don't require you to read them all to understand.

Also, I don't think the magic dice in Klarion and The Manhattan Guardian is the same as the one in Zatanna. If you look, the one in Zatanna uses roman numerals, not dots. While it could be an artist's mistake, I find it odd that Zatanna would come out before Klarion if the case is that the stone will go from Klarion's hands to Zatanna's apprentice's. It might still do, though.

Okay Bass, you've got to check THIS out.

Scroll down, a comprehensive breakdown of Seven Soldiers so far. Mine was a bit more DCU minded, color of the "true lantern" in Shining Knight, things like that.

My brain hurts. I will look at it.

Though I'm a pit peeved at Morrison. The fourth issues of Shining Knight and Manhattan Guardian, I thought, were poop.

Bass said:
My brain hurts. I will look at it.

Though I'm a pit peeved at Morrison. The fourth issues of Shining Knight and Manhattan Guardian, I thought, were poop.
I was fine with Guardian, but I didn't like Shining Knight atall. The entire mini felt too loose, wile the others have been alot more focused.

Bass said:
My only real problem with the latter half of Guardian was that it completely marginalized its own title character. Jake's story was practically the B-plot. Sure, he's at the center of the action, and he no doubt
comes across looking like the real hero
, at the end of the mini-series. And yet, none of this is really happening BECAUSE of him, is it?

If anything, the resoltion of Guardian at least wraps up a lot of nice loose ends from elsewhere in the cross-over:
the dark secret of Ali-Ka-Zoom's cabinet, the possible origin of Gimmix, more info about the Terrible Time Tailor and Slaughter Swamp.
And I loved the Kirby-esque sense of insanity that pervades the final issue.

compound said:
My only real problem with the latter half of Guardian was that it completely marginalized its own title character. Jake's story was practically the B-plot. Sure, he's at the center of the action, and he no doubt
comes across looking like the real hero
, at the end of the mini-series. And yet, none of this is really happening BECAUSE of him, is it?

If anything, the resoltion of Guardian at least wraps up a lot of nice loose ends from elsewhere in the cross-over:
the dark secret of Ali-Ka-Zoom's cabinet, the possible origin of Gimmix, more info about the Terrible Time Tailor and Slaughter Swamp.
And I loved the Kirby-esque sense of insanity that pervades the final issue.

I thought the end of Shining Knight was poop because I couldn't read the bloody thing, it was so incoherent.

I thought the end of Manhattan Guardian was poop because it wasn't even remotely self-contained.

Bass said:
I thought the end of Manhattan Guardian was poop because it wasn't even remotely self-contained.
Didn't bug me so much, because I planned to read both book-ends anyway. At this point, I'm basically expecting SSoV #1 to serve as a de-facto fifth issue for EVERY series, tying up the loose plot ends that were set up in EACH title, and showing how they're all inter-connected to the Sheeda/Harvest/Neh Bu Loh/Gloriana master-plot.

The delays on this are killing me! I haven't been to the comic shop in nearly a month, but apparently the only thing I've missed so far is the first issue of Mister Miracle.

Zatanna #4 is FINALLY scheduled to be released first week November.

On the plus side, the lag has given me time to re-read the parts of the cross-over that *have* been published, so my enthusiasm si not completely dead yet.

But the consensus among those who have been reading the entire cross-over is that each of the mini-series, taken on its own, is self-contained enough to be reradable, but not incredibly interesting, in and of themselves. The real drama comes mostly from comparing the narrative details between each title, and piecing together the real nature of the Sheeda threat.

Oh, and coming up with speculations by cross-referencing it with similar concepts that Morrison has eplored before, in his other non-7S titles (links to mythology, folklore, etc.)

Re: Seven Soilders of Victory

compound said:
The delays on this are killing me! I haven't been to the comic shop in nearly a month, but apparently the only thing I've missed so far is the first issue of Mister Miracle.

Zatanna #4 is FINALLY scheduled to be released first week November.
I haven't really mentally computed the exact measurement of the lags and delays you speak of, but aren't all the books technically bi-monthly? That means if you count backwards then Zatanna would be on schedule if the first issue was released last March.

Latest posts

Back