Simpsons vs. Family Guy

Steve GMan

I hear constant comparisons between the two, how the shows (mostly on The Simpsons' side) have a sort of rivarly, and that many people hail Family Guy as better than Simpsons.

I was just wondering everyone else's opinions, because while how the shows are now, I would say that Family Guy trumps Simpsons in humor alone, back in Simpsons' heyday (seasons 4-9) the show mixed laughter, intelligence, pop-culture, and most importantly, emotion into the series. Like the episode where Maggie's first word is "Daddy" after Homer puts her down for bed and leaves, or when Homer gives up his role as Colonel Homer and spends the night with his wife.

Family Guy, while hilarious, just seems content on settling for immature, wacky comedy. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but could the best of Family Guy ever hold a candle to the best of Simpsons? Not to me, it couldn't.

Am I just a rambling lunatic, or are there others that agree with me?

Old Simpsons stuff was was got me into comedy. But now, it's boring.

I love Family Guy more.

They really shouldn't be compared :?

Simpsons kicked in the door for adult cartoons. they get my vote.

AND I LOVE FAMILY GUY!

Family Guy all the way, there's enough show with cheesy moments I frickin tired of it. FAMILY GUY WOOOO!

simpsons satirizes. family guy parodies.

i might laugh at family guy a lot more, but god knows that i respect the simpsons infinitely more.

Simpsons is the longest running cartoon of all time.

The Simpsons seasons 3-7 cannot be beaten. When I first saw Family Guy I thought, "This is just a worse version of the Simpsons". Peter Griffin is just an unfunny Homer. Now, the Simpsons have turned into Family Guy, a pale imitation of what they once were.

But then, everyone loves Family Guy but me. I think it's a crock of ****.

Actually, I don't get why Family Guy has become so popular. I think the dad is annoying, the talking baby is there to make the geeky kids laugh, and the dog talks for no reason. I'd rather watch the Simpsons. I don't care how boring anyone thinks they are, they've been holding it down for so long... There's no comparison.

Bass said:
The Simpsons seasons 3-7 cannot be beaten.

I agree that those middle seasons of Simpsons can't be beat. And it's unfortunate that the kids that are just starting to get into that kind of humor will miss out on it and just call it a pale imitation of Family Guy, like Goodwill pointed out.

The episode where bart is on those drugs and steals the tank is my favourite episode ever!

"Dont stop thinking about tomorrow!"

This is like comparing stan lee and kirby to to a writer and artist today. You can't compare to the originators.

Last edited:
I'll have to go with the Simpsons. Family Guy just gets to...offensive i guess is the word I'm looking for. I love Family Guy, it's one of the greatest shows ever, but the Simpsons. theres somthin about Matt Groening that i liek more then Seth Mcfarlene i guess because i like Futurama too and i am pretty close to hating American Dad.

Originally Posted By Planet-man
Older Simpsons > Family Guy

Family Guy > Newer Simpsons

Couldn't agree more.
One my favorites is where Homer steals the gummi-di-milo and of course the treehouse of horror episodes rock.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Family Guy is a smarter comedy. Even moreso than old simpsons.

I have to disagree. Simpsons at its best was clever and original, while Family Guy is more lowbrow, usually emphasizing something bad about a celebrity, someone falling down really fast, or someone doing something repeatedly (Peter banging his knee in the episode where he becomes a musical genius).

The show is hilarious, but in my opinion, it's in no way smarter than The Simpsons.

Steve GMan said:
I have to disagree. Simpsons at its best was clever and original, while Family Guy is more lowbrow, usually emphasizing something bad about a celebrity, someone falling down really fast, or someone doing something repeatedly (Peter banging his knee in the episode where he becomes a musical genius).

The show is hilarious, but in my opinion, it's in no way smarter than The Simpsons.
"I finally get it, it's a show too smart to be funny"

By the way thats a Family Guy quote. The thing is Simpson really only made me laugh out loud a few times, As with Family Guy I'm craking up every other 2 minutes

Random said:
"I finally get it, it's a show too smart to be funny"

By the way thats a Family Guy quote. The thing is Simpson really only made me laugh out loud a few times, As with Family Guy I'm craking up every other 2 minutes

I still laugh out loud at both of them. Though, that doesn't make it smarter or dumber. Millions laugh out loud at jackasses like Steve-O, and in no way is that smart humor.

But I see where you're coming from, Simpsons hasn't been the way it was in a long, long time.

And yes, I knew that was a Family Guy quote. ;)

Latest posts

Back