South Park series discussion *spoilers*

Isaac Hayes Quits South Park!

From today's IMDB news page.

14 March 2006

Hayes Quits 'South Park' Citing "Bigotry" and "Intolerance"

Soul legend Isaac Hayes has quit animated TV series South Park after accusing the show of promoting intolerance and bigotry. Hayes, a Scientologist, has played Chef on the hit cartoon series since 1997, but feels he can no longer stomach the show's take on religion. He says, "There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begin." The 63-year-old singer released a statement yesterday, severing his ties with the series and controversial co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. In it he fumes, "Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices." Stone has fired back at Hayes saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of checks - with our show making fun of Christians." Last November South Park satirized the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers in a top-rated episode entitled Trapped In The Closet. In the episode, a cartoon version of Scientologist Tom Cruise locks himself in a closet and refuses to come out. Stone adds that he and Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and, to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin." Parker has previously said the show had avoided the controversial topic of Scientology out of respect for Hayes and his religious beliefs. He explains, "Finally, we just had to tell Isaac, 'Dude, we totally love working with you, and this is nothing personal, it's just we're South Park, and, if we don't do this, we're belittling everything else we've ripped on.'"

Like I said earlier, I loved South Park for years, right up until the last season when I found it just wasn't funny anymore. Nothing to do with bigotry or offense, I just don't find it to be the least bit clever anymore. I thought the Scientology episode was terrible. Not because it was offensive to Scientologists, but because "Tom Cruise is gay" and "Tom Cruise is crazy" jokes had been re-hashed and beaten to death by every comedian in the world for the past 6 months. To see the "Kings of Satire" stoop to such a low was depressing.

Anyway, Discuss.

Re: New Season of South Park

Random said:
Now I pose the question to you all, whose side are you on?

SPCW.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Re: Isaac Hayes Quits South Park!

Planet-man said:
From today's IMDB news page.

Like I said earlier, I loved South Park for years, right up until the last season when I found it just wasn't funny anymore. Nothing to do with bigotry or offense, I just don't find it to be the least bit clever anymore. I thought the Scientology episode was terrible. Not because it was offensive to Scientologists, but because "Tom Cruise is gay" and "Tom Cruise is crazy" jokes had been re-hashed and beaten to death by every comedian in the world for the past 6 months. To see the "Kings of Satire" stoop to such a low was depressing.

Anyway, Discuss.
Actually the didn't do any common Tom Cruise jokes, just the trapped in the closet. They didn't do any couch jumping or any jokes anbout when he was squirt with water, or any katie holmes or any other joke there was. Infact their jokes were extremely original compared to everything else on Tom Cruise in the past year. They just made fun of the gay rumors and his sciencetolgy connection. Which they probably would still have done even if he wasn't freakin out on Oprah or anything else. That whole trapped in the closet was hilarious and I pitty the fool who didn't laugh

MrT3.gif

Random said:
Now I pose the question to you all, whose side are you on?

SPCW.jpg
That there is frickin awesome!

And on Isaac "Chef" Hayes quitting. It would have been a HUGE deal years ago on the show, but over the past few seasons they've slowly downgraded his role. I've barely seen Chef on the show lately. So at this point, not a huge deal.

UltimateSpiderBuggy said:
That there is frickin awesome!

And on Isaac "Chef" Hayes quitting. It would have been a HUGE deal years ago on the show, but over the past few seasons they've slowly downgraded his role. I've barely seen Chef on the show lately. So at this point, not a huge deal.
Yeah but still, I will miss Chef

Ice said:
Explain the story on this. And the episode. :D
Did you see the episode when it first aired?

Here's the story: "Scientology vs 'South Park'-The Tom Cruise Episode Controversy".

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this :lol: :

Trey Parker and Matt Stone sent a letter to Variety saying: "So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! … You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

What I don't understand is why Tom didn't just use his SCIENTOLOGIST MIND TRICKS to make them get rid of the episode.

"This is not the episode you are watching!"

EDIT: A slightly longer version of my earlier quote from Trey Parker and Matt Stone:

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful
man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

Last edited:

Man scientologists are a bunch of whiney *****es, that episode was freakin hilarious. And I haven't heard anyone else complain about their jokes on religion, except the bleed mary one but that was pretty graphic. Listen all religions get made fun of, and lets face it scientology is one that deserves intense mockery (in my opinion). Its okay if you believe in it, I'm just going to make fun of you. And really they have it easy, other religions when they are persecuted happens with genocide. So calm the **** down. Everyone and everything gets made fun of and that episode was actually funny and very smart.

And on the M:I 3 good, I hope that movie gets no money, it looks like its going to be exactly lik the second one, all action with absolutely no intelligence. I wish Stone and Parker would stannd up to them cause lets face it, South Park probably makes much more money than M:I 3 will, and I'm betting that it is in Tom's contract to promote the movie, so they could sue the crap out of him. And I'm really sick of hearing about Tom, his new publicist tells him to shut the **** up an act, or else his public image will be nothing more than another dumb *** celebrity and will completely ruin any good movies with him for me.

Well that's it for my insensitive rant for the week

Random said:
Man scientologists are a bunch of whiney *****es, that episode was freakin hilarious. And I haven't heard anyone else complain about their jokes on religion, except the bleed mary one but that was pretty graphic. Listen all religions get made fun of, and lets face it scientology is one that deserves intense mockery (in my opinion). Its okay if you believe in it, I'm just going to make fun of you. And really they have it easy, other religions when they are persecuted happens with genocide. So calm the **** down. Everyone and everything gets made fun of and that episode was actually funny and very smart.

And on the M:I 3 good, I hope that movie gets no money, it looks like its going to be exactly lik the second one, all action with absolutely no intelligence. I wish Stone and Parker would stannd up to them cause lets face it, South Park probably makes much more money than M:I 3 will, and I'm betting that it is in Tom's contract to promote the movie, so they could sue the crap out of him. And I'm really sick of hearing about Tom, his new publicist tells him to shut the **** up an act, or else his public image will be nothing more than another dumb *** celebrity and will completely ruin any good movies with him for me.

Well that's it for my insensitive rant for the week
The problem is that the same companies that are making M:I3 also own Comedy Central. That's how he was able to get the episode pulled.

But that doesn't matter, because whatever he does he will never defeat
THE POWERS OF THE DARK LORD XENU!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

moonmaster said:
The problem is that the same companies that are making M:I3 also own Comedy Central. That's how he was able to get the episode pulled.
Well I'msaying that the company probably could sue Tom for not promoting th film, depending on the contract and that they should hanve the balls to do so.

Random said:
Well I'msaying that the company probably could sue Tom for not promoting th film, depending on the contract and that they should hanve the balls to do so.
B-but...He's a Level VI Original Thetan! He could explode their heads with his MIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!!

moonmaster said:
B-but...He's a Level VI Original Thetan! He could explode their heads with his MIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!!
I don't give a ****! BRING IT ON TOM CRUISE I DARE YA!!! GO AHEAD AND FORCE ALIEAN SPIRITS IN ME INORDER TO MAKE ME SAD AND A EASIER TARGET! GO ON I DARE YOU!!!

I DARE YOU!!!

Random said:
I don't give a ****! BRING IT ON TOM CRUISE I DARE YA!!! GO AHEAD AND FORCE ALIEAN SPIRITS IN ME INORDER TO MAKE ME SAD AND A EASIER TARGET! GO ON I DARE YOU!!!

I DARE YOU!!!
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Strange, I just saw an advertisement for a new episode of South Park about Chef's return? I guess its his final episode

Random said:
Strange, I just saw an advertisement for a new episode of South Park about Chef's return? I guess its his final episode

No, Trey and Matt can make SP episodes in 3 days or less if they want to, and I know that they made this episode after Isaac's statements last week, hence the summary for the episode including something like "but the kids notice that something's different about Chef, yet they can't quite put their finger on it." :D

I bet Chef will return for the series, but be completely and utterly different. A skinny dude, or perhaps a white guy. Then, for the rest of the shows history, instead of being a voice of reason, he will be just another town idiot.

also: I wouldn't make fun of Scientologists, you guys. They have spies everywhere. Whose Thetan levels are OFF THE CHARTS!

Latest posts

Back