Spider-Man Spider-Island

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
detail.jpg

Marvel is proud to announce Spider-Island, the comic book event of the summer from the creative team of Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos. Kicking off this August in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #667 with a special prelude in #666, the citizens of Manhattan—including some of Spidey's closest allies and deadliest foes—begin exhibiting the web-slinger's very own powers! But as Spider-Man must stop a seemingly insurmountable super powered crime wave, he must also find out just who's responsible for mutating Manhattan…and the truth will irrevocably alter his world. Fans will get their first full-length lead in to Spider-Island in Marvel's special issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, available for free at all participating comic shops on May 7, Free Comic Book Day.

More on Marvel.com

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

Yeah, that's the Jackal.

Last edited:
Okay I get why they are all wearing a version of Spider-man's costume, to show they have spider powers. But Spider-woman already has spider powers. Her name IS Spider-woman. Why add the scarlet spider hoodie at all?

b/c she pulls off the 90s ripped hoodie look so well.

btw, is that Luke Cage with a handlebar mustache behind Iron-Spider-Hulk?

more info on Spider-Island at Marvel.com

this is the most interesting part to me:
@xXJAllenXx (Joshua Allen): will spidey regain his spider sense or will it remain gone?
Steve Wacker: Spider Sense is a cool power, but it was too much of a crutch. I think Dan made the interesting choice to get rid of it. The next writer can bring it back maybe.

The Spider-Sense is gone long term. JMS gives Spidey extra powers, and then Dan Slott takes his classic powers away. As I've said in the ASM: Big Time thread, I actually don't mind Spider-senseless Spidey. It's a neat concept and I like that he has to be trained to fight now.

I think this might be my jumping off point. Thanks guys - it's been fun.

All the ridiculous stuff that's happened to Spider-Man in the past 10 years and this is what makes you drop ASM?

A city full of people that suddenly have Spider-Man's powers...yeah, that eclipses any other ridiculous that comes to mind.

I wasn't on board for Disassembled or The Other, by the way, if that's what you're referencing. I followed Amazing Spider-Man very closely in the issues of ASM immediately post-Carnage debut and dropped it right after his parents were revealed to be robots. I picked it back up for One More Day (which I still say was great) and have been reading it regularly since.

oh right, i forgot you were a OMD fan. And yeah, I was talking about that, the Other, and Sins Past specifically. All crazy controversial Spider-Man stories that were met with outcry from fans. (personally, I have very little problem with the Other, liked the story of Sins Past but not so much the retcon's significance for Gwen, and am still rather bitter over OMD).

I guess now that you mention it, Spider-Island is a pretty ridiculous concept, but I'm loving Dan Slott's stories in ASM so far, and I can't get enough of Ramos' art, so we'll see.

oh right, i forgot you were a OMD fan. And yeah, I was talking about that, the Other, and Sins Past specifically. All crazy controversial Spider-Man stories that were met with outcry from fans. (personally, I have very little problem with the Other, liked the story of Sins Past but not so much the retcon's significance for Gwen, and am still rather bitter over OMD).

I guess now that you mention it, Spider-Island is a pretty ridiculous concept, but I'm loving Dan Slott's stories in ASM so far, and I can't get enough of Ramos' art, so we'll see.

I really, really liked Sins Past, too.

So the Prelude, Part One, and several tie in issues have come out so far.

I thought it was interesting in Part One (issue #667) that when
Carlie got powers
, she immediately told Peter.

It's been pretty fun so far. I'm always intrigued when they bring back classic villains that haven't been used in a while and do something interesting with them.

Also: In the "Deadly Foes" Tie-in one-shot the
Gwen Clone gets killed by an earlier Gwen Clone who is infected with the Carrion virus
(if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it, there's a lot of convoluted Spider-Man history involved). Then t
hat Gwen Clone is killed by Kaine-Taranchula
. And
Randy dumps Nora (good move) and she immediately hooks up with Phil "Hobgoblin" Urich.

Also, more hints about
Ben Reilly
from the mysterious shadow-lady who's manipulating the whole deal.

Took one look at this event, with Shang-Chi and Iron Fist (and Bride of 9 Spiders) and 'jumped on' - already enjoying it more than the bloated FI (and I'm a huge Fraction fan!)

Why didnt they wait until "Fear Itself" was over before they launched this event? I think this whole concept must have looked pretty good when they pitched it, but so far the only highlight (in my opinion) has been to see Hawkeye trying to throw an arrow with sticky hands..

Still waiting for more...

I have virtually no interest in this and I'm forcing myself to read it, but I will admit that the writing is better than the concept indicates it should be.

Latest posts

Back