Spider-Man Spider-Island

I just read ASM #669. Usually I'm a fan of Ramos' art, but there were some terribly drawn faces in there, especially Glory Grant.

So the big reveal at the end was that the mysterious woman pulling the strings behind the scenes is
The Queen
. Just one question though, who the heck is she?
I was expecting Ms. Arrow/Ero AKA The Other.

(EDIT: I just looked her up, apparently she's from Paul Jenkin's run on Spectacular in the early 2000s - his first encounter with her resulted in his organic webbing and ability to "talk" to insects.)

Also, I heard that in Venom they revealed who "Spider-King" really is, is anyone reading that?

Last edited:
Also, I heard that in Venom they revealed who "Spider-King" really is, is anyone reading that?

I am! It's
Captain America
, I was like "WTF?".

Also, I'm enjoying the Spider-Girl tie in. She teams up with
Kingpin and Hobgoblin
to take down the Society of Wasps.

Last edited:
So, this event is way better than it should be. I don't know if it's because it's a smaller event or because of how it's framed or just because they picked the best books to loop into it, but even the tie-ins are great.

After reading the first issue of Nick Spencer's Cloak and Dagger tie-in, I'd buy an ongoing in a heartbeat.

So, this event is way better than it should be. I don't know if it's because it's a smaller event or because of how it's framed or just because they picked the best books to loop into it, but even the tie-ins are great.

After reading the first issue of Nick Spencer's Cloak and Dagger tie-in, I'd buy an ongoing in a heartbeat.

Exactly. All of the writers completely get the characters, and make the tie-ins actually have something to do with the story. They even brought
Ai Apaec
back in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu! It's such an obvious thing to do, I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

This is completely and utterly idiotic. It might be the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read.

JJJ has turned into a mutated Spider-Man and bitten Alisaire Smythe.

And Mary Jane has spider powers.

Yeah.

I am! It's
Captain America
, I was like "WTF?".

wait, seriously?

Was this teased in an earlier issue that I just missed? Because it really very clearly is not.

Spider-Island is wonderful. I'm loving every installment and tie-in (save for the Spider-Woman one). (I haven't read the latest, the one with JJJ on the cover, yet.) Nick Spencer's CLOAK AND DAGGER is glorious. (Ongoing please!) Chris Sims' review on ComicsAlliance basically sums up my feelings on it. I haven't gotten the Shang-Chi tie-in though, as I wasn't interested at first, so I guess I'll pick up that trade (many months) later.

I've been enjoying the story so far, the last issue was sort of all over the place. It sort of touched on a bunch of stuff that I guess has been happening in the tie-ins (which i haven't read any of) and really felt like the "this is the middle of the story where we show you how much chaos is going on before we actually start to resolve it" issue. Which is exactly what it was, so I wasn't too bothered by it, it just wasn't as strong as the previous issues of ASM.

And E, are you really upset that JJJ and MJ are mutating into spiders/getting powers? Or do you just think the whole premise is dumb?
B/c if you just haven't bought into the premise as a whole, well then okay, to each his own. But if you're upset about those two characters specifically, that seems kind of silly. It's not happening to just them, it's happening to everyone.

Was this teased in an earlier issue that I just missed? Because it really very clearly is not.

Apparently it's revealed in the pages of Venom.

Exactly. All of the writers completely get the characters, and make the tie-ins actually have something to do with the story. They even brought
Ai Apaec
back in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu! It's such an obvious thing to do, I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

I have no clue who that is, so I'm relieved I didn't get spoiled!

Im a die-hard Spidey fan (Spidey Clone, Mephisto Brand New Day and other unmentionables)

I still cant get Spider-Island!!!

I hate it, and I have read every issue :(

Captain Canuck said:
And E, are you really upset that JJJ and MJ are mutating into spiders/getting powers? Or do you just think the whole premise is dumb?
B/c if you just haven't bought into the premise as a whole, well then okay, to each his own. But if you're upset about those two characters specifically, that seems kind of silly. It's not happening to just them, it's happening to everyone.

Upset is not the right word. That would indicate I have something vested in the story. I don't.

I've said this before but it bears repeating since it applies here - I have a problem when "regular people" - people without powers - are given powers. In a temporary capacity it is even worse. And in Spider-Man it is the worst. He needs regular people. Giving powers out like this is the ultimate display of poor plotting and lack of direction. Developing characters is fine. Changing them like this is not. This weak writing at its worst.

So to answer your question, the premise is dumb and applied to these particular characters it's even worse. To me, this is no different than putting Aunt May in an Iron Man suit (shudder) or turning Ultimate Mary Jane into Hobgoblin.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I would usually agree with you, but this story feels different in my opinion. It's not just a "let's give Spidey's supporting cast powers" story, it's a "lets mutate all of New York into Spider-Monsters" story. Which, admittedly isn't the strongest plot Spidey's ever had, but in my opinion it's been handled well so far and has been a fun read.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I would usually agree with you, but this story feels different in my opinion. It's not just a "let's give Spidey's supporting cast powers" story, it's a "lets mutate all of New York into Spider-Monsters" story. Which, admittedly isn't the strongest plot Spidey's ever had, but in my opinion it's been handled well so far and has been a fun read.

I agree, plus it's not like this will be permanent.

But what feels different? That is a genuine question. I'm interested in knowing because to me there is absolutely nothing different about it.

I agree, plus it's not like this will be permanent.

To me, that makes it worse.

Latest posts

Back