Spider-Man 3 (discussion and spoilers)

Sony already announced their intention of making Spider-Man 4-6.

What's up in the air is if Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst return.

Of the three, I'd say Maguire is the most important. MJ doesn't even need to be in the movie. She could be off doing a model shoot in England or something while Peter makes time with Gwen.

And eventually Maguire could get phased out as well. I just think it's too soon just yet.

I just don't "get" why comic book fans seem to have to either LOVE a movie or HATE a movie... there seems to be precious little room left in the middle. I guess that is just alien to my personal experience. To me, there is a pretty big range, a spectrum, of outlooks... But with a lot of fans, it seems to be ALL or NOTHING. I see quite a bit of that here, and elsewhere. ...

I liked this movie. A lot, actually. That doesn't mean that every last minute "worked" for me, that I couldn't find fault, that there weren't some questions raised, etc, etc, etc. It wasn't "perfect". It just means that, overall, I thought it was fun, exciting, and, IMHO, it felt pretty true to "SPIDERMAN".

For me, the "bad Peter" scenes mostly worked. Keep in mind, Peter DID essentially try to "kill" Sandman, out of a desire for vengeance. He humiliated Brock and took sadistic pleasure in doing so (the fact that Brock was a total jerk who in some senses deserved it doesn't take away from Peter's motivations coming from a dark place!). He tried (in his very dorky way!) to humiliate MJ, he USED Gwen to do it in a really lousy way, and then he struck MJ AND threw around a crowd of innocent people like a common bully. He tried to humiliate Harry (and yes, as with Brock, Harry was "asking for it", but Spiderman/Peter is supposed to be better than that!) and then all but tried to KILL him (throwing that bomb back at Harry could EASILY have killed him). For Peter Parker, that is pretty bad. Not WOLVERINE bad, but... SPIDERMAN AIN'T WOLVERINE AND NEVER HAS BEEN. And to me, the "dorkiness" of "Dark Parker" was very much in line with what we have seen of Peter... that is, "Dark Parker" seemed, to me, very much like what a kind of sweet, dorky young guy MIGHT act like if he suddenly THOUGHT he was cool, "all that". Sure, it made you cringe and laugh. What would you expect? The symbiote heightens aggression and negative aspects of one's personality, it doesn't suddenly provide you with a primer on "cool"! Peter was a clumsy, uncool jerk. Made sense to me - and brought a few laughs in what was, generally, a pretty somber story.

Again - perfect? No. Hardly. I really think the Peter/MJ dynamic was odd - she kept reminding me of (CRINGE) the Margot Kidder Lois Lane who told Superman she was "jealous of the whole world" (UGH). And all that talk about a husband having to put his wife FIRST... can a superhero do that? Honestly? A BIG issue...

But ... for me... between "BEST MOVIE EVER" and "TOTAL PIECE of @#$#@" there is a wide range. And, for me, this was a fun and entertaining movie that I enjoyed. For whatever THAT is worth...(not much if you hated it, I know! *S*)

Shadow

Last edited:
I can say with some confidence that Spidey 4 won't happen. The makers know this. The Spidey franchise wouldn't have been complete for a large chunk of the fanbase without Venom in some form. It was either Venom-lite, or no Venom at all.
Care to repeat that?

CBR:

Marvel had one of their lesser known characters headline a small-budget sequel this past weekend, you may have heard about it? Sarcasm aside, CBR has been watching the money stack up all weekend, coming to an estimated total of $148 million domestically, and an estimated $375 million world wide. Not bad, Parker ...

Meanwhile, Freeze Dried Movies has a rumor that the villains for the next sequel have already been chosen -- Carnage and the Lizard, maybe with the Black Cat along for the ride.

Don't worry about whether you'll run out of sequels to enjoy -- Sony head honcho Michael Lynton told the BBC "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on." There would be "as many as we can make good stories for," he pledged.

Proj.'s gonna be pissed!

Last edited:
Carnage? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I want Electro. Lizard's OK.

Carnage? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I want Electro. Lizard's OK.

I want Electro.

Villains I would like in 4 (not all of them at once just my top picks) If i had to choose

Venom (duh)
Electro
Kraven
Scorpion
Morbius
Carnage

But I would love Man-Spider mutation to happen in a film but I guess that might scare the kiddies

Last edited:

Carnage is inevitable and, to be honest, they completely set up both the Lizard and Carnage in 3, with Connors getting a piece of the symbiote. I'm cool with Black Cat, too. I just wished they would wait on this idea for Spidey 5 and give us something else (Like Electro and Kraven) in Spidey 4.

I just wished they would wait on this idea for Spidey 5 and give us something else (Like Electro and Kraven) in Spidey 4.

Nice team up.

I love the idea of those two in same movie. One challanges him beacuse his city is filled with electricity (the main point of modern civilization) , the other turns the environment in to a jungle with traps making him show his intelligence but also a more primitive side

Genius dude.

Care to repeat that?

CBR:

Oh come on..... "Everybody has every intention of making a 4th, 5th, 6th, and so on". Gimme a break. I've read/watched 3 or 4 interviews with Raimi this weekend and he has said he's so exhausted he probably won't be up for even a 4th, Dunst says she refused to come back without Sam, and I have no cause to believe that Maguire would do a Spidey film without either of them.

When I say there won't be another sequel, I mean a REAL sequel, continuing the story with the same cast. And so far, nothing leads me to believe their will be.

Also, why does everyone think that even if this happens he won't be with Mary Jane in the next film? They're the whole point of the series!

I have to say, I liked the ghost rider more than this, Eva Mendes is hotter than whoever played MJ :p. during this movie I almost fell asleep 3 times and couldn't stand the split shots.

ex: you see the stunt man do this spidy thing all buff and ****, and then you go to toby.....fat and short, with rolls of fat coming out of the whole suit.\

3/10

I think if kraven is in a movie it should be him hunting the lizard while spider-man is trying to save Dr. Conners and revert him to normal..

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, was pouring all their hate on the film today at school. One of my best friends says it was the worst movie she's ever seen... and she liked 1 and 2.

I'm still going again this weekend. :D

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, was pouring all their hate on the film today at school. One of my best friends says it was the worst movie she's ever seen... and she liked 1 and 2.

I'm still going again this weekend. :D

Wow.... I'd say about 90% of the people I know who saw it said it was great. One person who even said he thought it looked worse than the first two said "Spidey 3....best movie ever, or THE BESTEST movie ever?".

I was actually surprised at how well it went over.

I think if kraven is in a movie it should be him hunting the lizard while spider-man is trying to save Dr. Conners and revert him to normal..

Dude - that's really cool. I like it a lot. *steals idea for future use*

Well, I saw it today. Not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Certainly not X3 Bad. I think I got $6.50 worth of entertainment out of it.

I did like when Peter was just being a horrible ***. That was lovely.

Latest posts

Back