Spider-Man 3 The game

You know what.....you're completely right for not wanting to.

Afer several hours of gameplay I can safely say I'd rather play "Superman Returns".

Yeah. I said it.

You want reasons? I got your stinkin' reasons:

Story: The story is loosely (and I mean loosely) based of the third film. Cut some corners, throw in some random villain at random time and boom! Story. You've seen it all before.....now only lamer the third time around.

Gameplay: This game wants to be so many things it's not. Swinging---
First off, the swinging is like the easy-mode of swining in SM2. Or for those who can't remember that far back---it's just like the swinging in USM. Remember how in SM2 Spidey only really had one or 2 different swining poses? Well this time around he's got 4-7. Too bad they don't do nothing but look passably pretty. I much rather prefer the crispness to the animation in USM game.

Then there's the simulation of speed as you fly thru the air. Ugh is it annoying. You know how everything gets blury is Need For Speed when you hit nitro? There's that fuzziness around the edges of the screen---but not in that good Burnout3 kinda way. I'm talking about early stages of cataracts. Seriously people---it doesn't look fast. It looks like my TV is about to go bad.

But all that takes a back seat to how almost unmanagable the swinging actually is. It's like the designers were so focused on making the swinging look pretty like the movie that they forgot about adding in functionality and manuverability. I honestly prefer the swining mechanics from SM2. It's so bad that swinging around a street corner is damn near impossible.

Fighting---
Haha....silly Spidey, thinks he's Kratos. I can't remember the last time I had to do so many context-sensitive commands. Uh-oh....Harry's dragging me thru the street! I better hit X and O at the right time all while manually steering out of the way of cars with the R2 and L2 buttons. WTF? Some crazy guy is shooting missles at me while I fight 7 of his goons. I better stop punching (which is impossible once the combo starts) and face the missile. Then I better hit O when I see it on the screen to send it back to him.........all while hitting L2 to dodge the laser coming at me from goon#4.

Do not mistake this for saying the game's too hard. I've played Devil May Cry3. So this game does not intimidate me. But yeah....the controls have changed a bit. And they feel unnatural.....even after playing for a few hours. Keep in mind that I'm using a PS controller...

Left analog = Move
Right analog = Move ****ty camera
Square = Light attack
Triangle = Hard Attack
O = Web pellet (hold O to string up)
X = Jump (hold X to charge jump)
R1 = Web zip (think web zip from USM...not SM2)
L1 = Nothing
R2 = Swing
L2 = Dodge

Now I know that that set-up might not seem so weird.....but just play and tell me it's not weird. It's weird.

Mini-games or civilian calls---
Ok....I don't have to save any kid's balloon. But if I have to Kratos yank one more kidnapped person out the dumpster........ugh.

Granted there are a lot more varieties of events......but they're still basically: Spidey swing here and punch 4-5 bad guys and then grab the purse or deactivate the bomb or take the person to the ambulance.

Black Suit use---
Like SM2's Spidey Sense Slow Mo Time......only instead of fuzzy light and slo-mo....you get black edges around your screen. Enough said.

Oh yeah....except that if you wear the black suit too long you lose control and then I think it's game over or something weak like that. I was always able to get it off just in time.

Graphics:
Meh. I was playing on PS2......but I've see the graphics for PS3 and 360. Not impressed. Pretty graphics do not make up for a slightly mediocre game.

Overall-----the game is a slight disapointment. Yeah it has a novelty appeal to it. But it's just not worth owning. I say give it an extended rental.

5.5/10

Trust me people. Do not let the hype fool you.

Superman Returns? Really? You crazy Doom , you crazy.

Still this is really the only review you need to read.

Granted I'm playing the PS3 version, but everything applies.

Really the only thing I dissagree with would be your comment on the visuals, while not perfect they still look great and the animations (at 60 frames per sec.) are really, really good. Like I said they're not perfect, there are some bad things but I feel like to really have it bother me I'd just be nitpicking. Like I said though, I'm playing the PS3 version, it should look really, really good

No, the game is not hard, but the ****ty control sceme makes it harder then it needs to be.

Rent before you buy.

6 out of 10

Last edited:
this game is boring, there i said it this is exactly the reason i hate "sand-box" videogames because it takes to damn long to go do something that actually has something to do with the plot, and when you get there your overrun with too many bad guys too early in the game (those arsenic candy girls are driving me insane)

all the gangster people are frickin jokes right? there rediculously lame and they're goofy videogame stereotypes (you can find pretty much the same thugs in "Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage" on the SEGA Genesis)

the gameplay is pretty good but i find myself just hitting square all the time, the in-game graphics are great, but the "cutscenes" are horrible everyone's eyes look like there about to explode out of there heads and there is all kinds of weird stretching effects going on when Jameson is flailing around that look horrible, and the lip-synching is horrible

i got the PS3 version aswell i have yet to try the new goblin out

i'll give this a 6.5/10, thought this would have been better

Ok....so some slight variations to my original post---

Swinging does get better the further you go along....but not by much. And by better it gets easier. But still kinda annoying. I really missed the "climb" feature from USM.

Ugh....and the random crimes? How many times do I have to return the lost child to his mother 4 blocks down? And why the hell are gangs stealing guitars? And why am I returning dynamite to some random person? And how many doctors am I saving? And am I fighting some kinda Hydra/AIM soldiers?

It doesn't really matter because you only end up doing like 6 random crimes anyways. It gets old. Not fetch the balloon old.....but old nonetheless.

So yeah.....still another wasted opportunity for a game.

I wonder if the developers were givin more time to work on this how it would have turned out? It sucks that it had to come out the same day as the movie.

It would be great to get a Spider-man game that isn't tied down to the movies in any way, and developers could take as much time as they want to make a great game.

It would be great to get a Spider-man game that isn't tied down to the movies in any way, and developers could take as much time as they want to make a great game.

Ultimate Spider-Man?

I'm sure that they'll make more Spidey games, particularly some that aren't bound to any particular incarnation (I'm hoping for something along the lines of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction).

Ultimate Spider-Man?

I'm sure that they'll make more Spidey games, particularly some that aren't bound to any particular incarnation (I'm hoping for something along the lines of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction).

Ultimate Spider-man was cool, I worded that wrong.

It would be great to get a Spider-man game that isn't tied down by the movies or comics.

Yes! Like Ultimate Destruction.

I could post my wish list of things I'd like to see, but I'd just be going way off topic.

Or that spider-man trilogy game that's been announced. Rumours say I'll be playing through all 3 movies with extra villains and extra features like costumes ect...

Or that spider-man trilogy game that's been announced. Rumours say I'll be playing through all 3 movies with extra villains and extra features like costumes ect...

But that is tied down to a movie.:sure:

Hate to break it to you guys, but the spider-man trilogy is now called spider-man : Friend or Foe, and supposedly you only get to play the villians of the trilogy.

ok I bought it and beat it

The game is a mixture of Spider-man 2 the game and Ultimate Spider-man (more Spidey 2 than USM). Is it good? Well, did you like Spidey 2? If you loved Spidey 2 than you already own 3. It can be beaten in a weekend so i suggest renting and if you fall in love buy it. Can you play villains? Kinda... see the PS3 Collectors Edition you can unlock playable New Goblin and missions for him and it seems Xbox360 will have New Goblin playable stuff for a later download. I don't want to spoil anything but theres 10 storylines with multiple villains. Combat is still button mash with a bit more emphasis on dodging. Swinging is improved if you could have improved it. Black suit rocks and the new crime fighting dynamic replaces the random "HEY SPIDEY! HELP ME!!" If your ready for the same game you've played 2 times now and loved every minute its an A+ but if your looking for a change then its a C

Ultimate Spider-man was cool, I worded that wrong.

It would be great to get a Spider-man game that isn't tied down by the movies or comics.

Yes! Like Ultimate Destruction.

I could post my wish list of things I'd like to see, but I'd just be going way off topic.

I just noticed your sig and avatar are 'Would you like to suck my **** BERSERKER" from Clerks

Last edited:
ok I bought it and beat it

The game is a mixture of Spider-man 2 the game and Ultimate Spider-man (more Spidey 2 than USM). Is it good? Well, did you like Spidey 2? If you loved Spidey 2 than you already own 3. It can be beaten in a weekend so i suggest renting and if you fall in love buy it. Can you play villains? Kinda... see the PS3 Collectors Edition you can unlock playable New Goblin and missions for him and it seems Xbox360 will have New Goblin playable stuff for a later download. I don't want to spoil anything but theres 10 storylines with multiple villains. Combat is still button mash with a bit more emphasis on dodging. Swinging is improved if you could have improved it. Black suit rocks and the new crime fighting dynamic replaces the random "HEY SPIDEY! HELP ME!!" If your ready for the same game you've played 2 times now and loved every minute its an A+ but if your looking for a change then its a C

Suits me fine. I'm buying it.

But here's the big question:

Do I trade in Gears of War (diabolically over-rated IMO) for it?

Suits me fine. I'm buying it.

But here's the big question:

Do I trade in Gears of War (diabolically over-rated IMO) for it?

Ya suited me as well. Gears was traded in after i beat it but i loved Gears i just didn't go for the multiplayer (not saying its bad just not for me). Go ahead and trade it in you can get about $23 in trade at Gamestop.

Ya suited me as well. Gears was traded in after i beat it but i loved Gears i just didn't go for the multiplayer (not saying its bad just not for me). Go ahead and trade it in you can get about $23 in trade at Gamestop.

I enjoyed Gears, but it wasn't 'the best game ever made' as some have claimed. What was so great about it? You just move around, shooting things. I never really got into it that much. The only time I really enjoyed myself playing it was when I finished it on two-player with my friend.

Dead Rising
is a far better 360 game.

I got SM3 yesterday and I have a total playing time of about eight hours now, on and off. At the moment, I've just accessed the black suit and I failed the first Sandman mission twice before switching off for a while.

What do I think?

Well, the webswinging is better than it has ever been. It truly looks phenomenal and more like the movies than ever. With the inclusion of bigger, taller buildings, it always looks cool.

On the subject of buildings, however...meh. The whole city doesn't look anything like the funny, happy, friendly NYC that was in SM2. It's all dark, smoky and gritty, like Metropolis in Superman Returns or something. It really doesn't suit Spidey to be in this environment.

The missions are pretty good, I'll admit, although the 'interactive cutscenes' are the dumbest thing ever. The combat is...different. Nothing like before, but again, it looks and feels a lot more like what we see Spidey doing in the movies than anything we've had before. That's not to say that it isn't horribly flawed, though. It's so easy to get your *** kicked if you're not paying attention.

So do I like it? Yeah. I can tell what people's problems are and I completely agree. The game can be damn hard and frustrating, but it still has all of the good points from SM2 and many more on top of that.

Played and beaten it on the Wii and 360.

For the Wii:

It's ugly. No way around that, it's just ugly. The story is meh, and combat can be summed up as random swinging the wiimote around. Boss battles are easy with the exception of Venom; who's massive health is the only thing that makes him difficult. There's no reason for your punches to do so little damage while a good 6 punch combo against you will kill you.

The Wii only fights: Morbius the Living Vampire and Shriek...meh. I want to fight Kingpin, Rhino, Scorpion...not some goth kid and some mental chick with little clothing on!

The city gets gritty and grimy for no reason once you get the suit. Switching the suit on or off changes the city back to normal which leads me to believe that it's supposed to be keyed in with what suit you're wearing.

But it's not.

I've seen the grim and dead tress in central park look while in my Red and blues, and then a switch to the black suit and the city looks clean and the trees are green. Sometimes a load zone will change the look too.

I did like the ability to switch suits at will. It added to the feel of the suit being addictive since...I did get addicted to using the suit. Soon after getting it I refused to fight any punk without the extra damage the suit was giving my punches.

Seems the suit kills you if you wear it too long, so you go into a mini-game to rip it off. The longer the mini-game the longer and more you've worn the suit. If you're like me, it's a long mini-game by the time you hit the church and pass the suit to Brock.

I hated fighting Venom without that suit.

Webslinging is fun. Controls are ****ed up, especially while wall crawling.

3/5

For the 360:

Pretty looking.

Longer game. And I prefer the button mashing of the 360 over the Wii's slapping back and forth.

Boss's are tough! My little brother spent 2 hours fighting Kraven and called that the toughest fight in the game.

I killed Kraven my first run through. Lizard and Kingpin were tougher for me.

Lizard because of the throwing mini-game that I never really got that good at. And Kingpin because of the same reason Venom was tough in the Wii game. Lots of life and lots of damage.

The game's tougher than the Wii game, but I liked that since I breezed through the Wii version in just under 5 hours (and with two lives; Venom killed me the first time I fought him).

I had none of the camera troubles people swear they have; outside of some odd "Now you only see Spidey's ***" shots while wall crawling.

Disabling bombs becomes tedious and by the time you finish the Mad Bomber subplot you're just plain tired of doing them.

This version had some real fun moments, unlike the Wii version.

The city looks dull. So did the Wii version, of course, but the Wii game looked dull due to poor graphics (think everything looks like gray boxes until you're less than a block away from them). This was the 360 and the city should have looked alive.

Voice actors in both versions sucked. Many of them are just phoned in (like Tobey's Spidey lines are rarely worth the money they poured into his wallet. Get a professional voice actor who will bring some character to the game...the dude that played Spidey in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for example)

Despite being the tougher of the two versions some boss fights are just lame. Sandman's first fight is simple and lame. Sandman's second (and last, god he's barely in this game) is terrible; more on that later.

For a brief moment in the 360 game you get to control two OTHER characters. Scorpion and New Goblin.

Both are utter disappointments. Scorpion is just mindless button mashing in a room with no doors and about the size of the screen. Fight a few grunts who die in about 2 hits each (with swiping attacks that can hit 5+ guys easy).

Goblin...Goblin starts off fun. Race to the final fight to save Spidey. And the controls take a bit to get used to, but there's some really fun possibilities with this!

Get to the fight. You're locked in going either left or right circling Sandman while you throw pumpkin bombs for a bit until he dies. There's no chance Sandman will hit you (until you use a fire hydrant on him, don't ask). It's easy.

Followed by the toughest thing in the game. An 'interactive cutscene' which is the fastest one I've ever seen in a game. You need to know the button and stick motions before they come up on the screen. Otherwise you must redo the utterly boring Sandman battle again.

A fate worse than your 360 suddenly catching on fire due to it's sheer boredom.

4/5

Oh wait, that's before the single worst thing about the game was factored in!

No way to start a new game or have two different games going at once!

This is the 360, you're telling me you can't have two games going at once, but the Wii one can?

And once you beat the game...what do you do? Well, you go into the hard drive and delete it and start again, because there's no way to start a new save game!

That brings it down to 3.5/5

Both Games:

Venom's voice is terrible.

Spidey jokes a lot more in the Wii game, but few of them match what's happening in the game. Reminded me of the old Football games where announcers would talk about your play, but say **** that never even remotely happened.

Gangs get boring quickly! Didn't San Andreas teach us all that? Take over gang terrority isn't fun. It's long and boring and it takes center stage since they keep attacking and you don't want to lose ground. (More of a problem in GTA: SA since who cares if the Apocalypse Gang takes over something from the police? It doesn't affect you like it does in GTA).

Web attacks are weak and damn near useless.

I miss webbing people to street lamps. I miss it good.

Overall, decent game. I'd rent the Wii game, and the 360 game might be worth a buy.

Latest posts

Back