Spider-Man Spider-Man: The Clone Saga series discussion (Yep you read that right)

Hm.... Well, in that case, I could see this miniseries intended to be a prequel to the Spider-Girl future universe, yeah?

naw, b/c the whole premise behind Spider-Girl is that the Clone Saga happened as portrayed except that Kaine rescued May (Spidey and MJ's daughter) from Norman. Then everything continued pretty much as in the comics until the Gathering of the Five during which Norman tried to kill Peter with a Pumpkin bomb but something happened involving webbing sticking the bomb to Norman and Norman and Peter's legs to each other and Norman died (for real this time) and Peter's leg got blown off so he retired. 15 years later May is playing basketball and leaps into the air 15 feet, voila Spider-Girl.

It came from a 'what if?' comic.

Yes, Spider-Girl was awesome.

Same goes for Ben Reilly, though the Clone Saga had a lot of problems.

I've always liked the idea of Ben Reilly, being a Peter Parker who is force to leave his life to someone else and find his own place. A spare Spider-man could make for interesting stories.

Also having Ben Reilly being the real Peter Parker and hitting a pregnant MJ could be a compelling story I just dont think that kind of reveal and shock belongs in a Spider-man story.

Still it would be interesting to to see how things intended to play out so I approve this mini.

I cannot defend the Clone Saga against people who hate it. I fully recognize and realize that there were a LOT of problems with it that would make it unenjoyable for many (most?) people.

BUT - to be fair, it never said the stories were fake. It said, briefly, that Peter was the clone. All of the stuff that happened between the original clone appearance and then still happened, just not to the Peter Parker everyone thought was the real Peter Parker. And besides - everything was being manipulated behind the scenes and it ended up not being true anyway.

But the orginal idea that a lot stories, pretty well everything from the late
70s and all of the 80s, featured a clone instead of the real deal and for a lot of fans that tainited the stories.

The point where he hit MJ was one of the most interesting things that happened in the whole thing. I don't think it made him a wife beater - his entire world was falling apart and he lashed out in a way that was completely uncharacteristic of the character. Not justifiable - and that's what was so fascinating about it. It was probably the single most significant thing to happen during the whole story that let the reader know the depths of despair Peter was going through.

But I don't want to see that with the character, Spider-Man is supposed to fun character, a likable, working man's hero, with realistic problems, you have him striking his pregnant wife makes him unlikable and taints his whole character, I don't want to see that. I don't think its a good plot twist and I don't if it fits the story, because I don't like the story in the first place.

It just seems like over the top 90s angst, like when Parker starting acting like a jerk and calling himself "the Spider" for no reason.

Frankly the clone Saga always seemed a bit too sci fi for Spider-Man, clones seems more like something you would see in X-Men rather then Spider-Man.

But the orginal idea that a lot stories, pretty well everything from the late
70s and all of the 80s, featured a clone instead of the real deal and for a lot of fans that tainited the stories.

I guess...it didn't taint anything for me; it just made it all the more tragic and sad. And interesting...all of those things still happened, and now all of the supporting characters who were part of his life would have to deal with that in some way.

Every one is entitled to their own opinions and God knows the story was full of problems, but it seems superficial to hate on it because one doesn't like the fact that old stories have new meanings behind them.

And honestly, a lot of the *****ing I've seen about it seems to be people *****ing because they feel like they should, not because they have any specific problem with the story.

Wanna bet?

Newsarama said:
This month, Marvel will begin telling the "writer's cut" of the originally intended storyline in the out-of-continuity mini-series, Spider-Man: The Clone Saga. Then in October, Amazing Spider-Man writer Marc Guggenheim will tell a story that revisits the story within continuity.

;) Told you.

got it today. It's kind of meh so far.

This was only issue #1, but it was mostly a condensed retelling of the same story.

Question though:
Kaine didn't work for Norman in the original did he? If I remember correctly, he just hated Ben b/c he thought he was the original Peter.

Question though:
Kaine didn't work for Norman in the original did he? If I remember correctly, he just hated Ben b/c he thought he was the original Peter.

I haven't read the new one yet, but
Kaine was manipulated, just like everyone else in the story except for Peter and Ben, behind the scenes. I don't think Kaine was aware of this

I haven't read the new one yet, but
Kaine was manipulated, just like everyone else in the story except for Peter and Ben, behind the scenes. I don't think Kaine was aware of this

Right. That's what I thought.

I'll let you read the issue.

Finally read #1. I'm not sure I'll bother to continue with it.

Even the art is bad. Not sure if they were purposely going for the 90s look but regardless - it's not like that style is "in" right now.

Yeah, it's bad.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. It did 'feel' a lot like the Spider-Man comics I enjoyed when I was younger, but the dialogue was depressingly childish and both Spider-Men were incredibly annoying to the point of disinterest. The way the major story point of May having known Ben Reilly for years was glossed over as "She knew him as a distant relative" was almost Silver Age Superman-esque in its absurdity (where giant, radioactive space-beasts would appear and randomly attack someone and then fly away quickly with no explanation, just so the person would be injured for the rest of the story and create drama for Superman).

I really wanted this to be good. Shame. I might download it when it's over.

For the record though, I really do enjoy the art. The 90s-look of Spider-Man is perfect for the character, methinks.

Last edited:
There's just too much to fit into 6 issues. The clone saga ran in 4 monthly Spider-Man titles for two-ish years, so we're looking at around 200 issues. I know there was a lot of stuff they're cutting out, but the writers were probably planning on telling the story over the course of several months before the editors made them extend it. So a 15-20 issue run isn't going to fit into six issues and still be good.

I've never read 'The Clone Saga'. Not even one tiny snippet of it.

This shouldn't matter in the slightest when it comes to me picking up a comic in the year 2009 entitled 'Spider-Man: The Clone Saga'. If they want to tell a story and fit it into six issues, they can find ways around shortening it, by changing the story or if the case allows, telling it as it was originally envisioned. If they can't fit it into six issues, then either lengthen it to a reasonable length or don't bother trying at all.

I've never read 'The Clone Saga'. Not even one tiny snippet of it.

This shouldn't matter in the slightest when it comes to me picking up a comic in the year 2009 entitled 'Spider-Man: The Clone Saga'. If they want to tell a story and fit it into six issues, they can find ways around shortening it, by changing the story or if the case allows, telling it as it was originally envisioned. If they can't fit it into six issues, then either lengthen it to a reasonable length or don't bother trying at all.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Tom DeFalco (actually that's problem number one right there) wanted to tell it as originally envisioned,but six issues isn't enough to do that...at least not well.

Yeah. I think what I'm trying to say was that even if this story was completely different from whatever the original 'saga was, it's still a hokey, campy, hammy piece of irritating crap, regardless of how many things the writers are trying to cram in.

It's like when the people responsible for 'Batman & Robin' claim that the reason it sucks so hard is because it was 'rushed'. That's not why it's a terrible movie.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think what I'm trying to say was that even if this story was completely different from whatever the original 'saga was, it's still a hokey, campy, hammy piece of irritating crap, regardless of how many things the writers are trying to cram in.

It's like when the people responsible for 'Batman & Robin' claim that the reason it sucks so hard is because it was 'rushed'. That's not why it's a terrible movie.

:) I don't really agree with the comparison, but I understand what you mean

Latest posts

Back