Star Trek discussion (Spoilers!)

What did you think of Star Trek?

• Total voters
Okay, I want to start by saying I liked the movie. I did, quite a bit. Get that out of the way before I start the *****ing!

First things first, this is a total reboot. Total. Not just after Nero went back in time, from the start. Kirk's dad's death could not possibly affect the timeline in the way this movie claims it did. Ages, relationships, timelines, technology. . . all completely different. Even pretending it was supposed to be the same until the point Nero came back in time is preposterous.

Also, the tone of the movie is not Star Trek. It is purely and simply an action movie. There are no morals, there is no dilemma. It's a bad guy vs. the good guys. It actually bears little to no resemblence to the franchise as it once existed. It seems hardly worth using the name Star Trek just to tell a story like this.

Further, plot problems I had. Somehow Nero goes back in time and hides away undetected forever and yet still finds Spock when he comes through twenty-five years later. Then Old Spock puts the entire Federation in jeopardy just to prove apoint to Kirk and Young Spock, by not joining Kirk back on the Enterprise. Then there's a massive black hole near Saturn that has no effect on anything in the solar system or galaxy at all.

But whatever, it was a fun action movie with some good bits. Though Star Trek is pretty much officially dead, it seems to be the start of an entertaining, albeit more stupid, franchise.

So they Transformer'd it, sacrificed the series original appeal that captured it's fanbase, in favor of a new angle that appeals to a much wider audience.

sweet

So they Transformer'd it, sacrificed the series original appeal that captured it's fanbase, in favor of a new angle that appeals to a much wider audience.

sweet

No, they sacrificed the very nature of the franchise to make something wholly different.

Just do a new thing if you're going to do that.

sweet

Pretty much, which is why I am absolutely fine with it as I have no attachment to the franchise. I imagine people who are fans of Star Trek will enjoy it but won't like it as much as the people who aren't really into Star Trek, like me.

Great movie! I loved how they opened it up so they can re-due the whole series, but differently if they wanted to. Also how they didn't make it just for the fans. I was never much of a fan of the show(s) or even the movies. But this got me excited about them doing more.

I have always been a Trek fan (Apart from Enterprise, as it was bollocks. And that is coming from someone who normally quite enjoyed Voyager).

This rocked.

Excellent reboot to a franchise that was starting to stagnate. They took classic characters, refreshed them for a new generation and made Trek awesome.
I did not expect the planet that was destroyed in the trailer to be Vulcan, which really does set up the prospects of a new universe to play in, a universe where the Vulcan people are now a dying race.

More when I am more awake.

This was one hell of a movie. I now feel compelled to watch Wrath of Khan! :D
My girlfriend is really into Star Trek, despite never having really followed the original crew AT ALL.

I recently brought her up to speed with Wrath of Khan (as well as The Undiscovered Country).

She totally fell in love with Khan, describing him as "He's so hot it's insane."

I didn't see that one coming.

My girlfriend is really into Star Trek, despite never having really followed the original crew AT ALL.

I recently brought her up to speed with Wrath of Khan (as well as The Undiscovered Country).

She totally fell in love with Khan, describing him as "He's so hot it's insane."

I didn't see that one coming.

Isn't your GF in love with one of the Transformers as well?

Latest posts

Back