Star Wars Canon Expanded Universe - Timeline - Reading Order

Updated with all the latest material, and I've finally caught up with the excellent 2020-2022 post-ESB runs of the latest comics, through the War of the Bounty Hunters and Crimson Reign crossovers. Wookieepedia's timeline was useless as a reading order, frequently doubling back on itself and spoiling upcoming issues, particularly during the WotBH arc. The order I've put them in makes much more sense, especially for a first-time reader!

Updated with all the latest material, and I've finally caught up with the excellent 2020-2022 post-ESB runs of the latest comics, through the War of the Bounty Hunters and Crimson Reign crossovers. Wookieepedia's timeline was useless as a reading order, frequently doubling back on itself and spoiling upcoming issues, particularly during the WotBH arc. The order I've put them in makes much more sense, especially for a first-time reader!
Idk if I'm asking too much but is it possible to include the year (in the BBY and ABY format) in the viewing order? :oops:

Day 1
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x09, "Old Friends Not Forgotten" (0:00:36 - 0:16:23)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (0:01:49 - 0:33:17)

Day 2
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x09, "Old Friends Not Forgotten" (0:16:24 - 0:26:17)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x10, "The Phantom Apprentice" (0:00:30 - 0:02:58)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (0:33:17 - 0:48:00)

Day 3
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (0:48:00 - 0:56:01)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x10, "The Phantom Apprentice" (0:02:58 - 0:08:42)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (0:56:02 - 1:00:53)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x10, "The Phantom Apprentice" (0:08:43 - 0:24:15)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x11, "Shattered" (0:00:35 - 0:02:51)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:00:54 - 1:01:54)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x11, "Shattered" (0:02:52 - 0:04:46)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:01:55 - 1:09:04)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x11, "Shattered" (0:04:47 - 0:09:41)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:09:05 - 1:19:12)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x11, "Shattered" (0:09:42 - 0:15:03)
Star Wars: The Bad Batch 1x01, "Aftermath" (0:01:19 - 0:13:23)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:19:13 - 1:29:54)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x11, "Shattered" (0:15:04 - 0:23:31)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x12, "Victory and Death" (0:00:36 - 0:19:12)

Day 4
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:29:55 - 1:34:00)
Star Wars: The Bad Batch 1x01, "Aftermath" (0:13:24 - 0:18:54)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:34:00 - 1:36:38)
Star Wars: The Bad Batch 1x01, "Aftermath" (0:18:54 - 0:21:25)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:36:38 - 1:38:33)
Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel - Chapter 12, "A Cog in Something Turning"

Day 5
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:38:33 - 1:42:18)
Star Wars: The Bad Batch 1x01, "Aftermath" (0:21:25 - 0:41:15)

Day 6
Star Wars: The Bad Batch 1x01, "Aftermath" (0:41:16 - 1:10:21)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1:42:19 - 2:08:54)
Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1, pg. 1 - 14

Day 7
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2:08:55 - 2:11:23)

Day 8
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2:11:24 - 2:13:46)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars 7x12, "Victory and Death" (0:19:13 - 0:21:17)

I have a fairly rough timeline of all concurrent canon media that I've gone through with time stamps (@joshjodalton I'd love to see yours) so this is what I came up with through rewatches and comparing with other timelines and fan edits online. I'm sure I have some timestamp typos and mistakes. Old Legends reference books had dated Revenge of the Sith as starting at 15:5:20 as in May 20. That doesn't entirely work out with Padme's pregnancy considering that Ahsoka's trial is dated the same year as ROTS and the space twins conception is implied to be an event afterwards in a Thrawn novel (haven't read yet), unless Star Wars' humans have faster pregnancies. For my personal timeline I have the old Legends dates in parenthesis but keep it primarily in Day __ format.
This is great!! Now we just need updates with ObiWan haha

I will say that I think Bad Batch S1E1 may possibly span beyond Episode 3. In space, time is relative so it's hard to pin-point exactly how it lines up.

I will say that I think Bad Batch S1E1 may possibly span beyond Episode 3. In space, time is relative so it's hard to pin-point exactly how it lines up.
Absolutely, it's very hard to pinpoint any passage of time in the series unless it's explicitly stated. I tend to just go by hyperspace travel = probably enough time for it to be the next day upon arrival, unless we're told otherwise.

I do want to correct myself that in canon the most we have for ROTS' month placement is that it's probably mid-July according to one of Pablo Hidalgo's tweets, and Ahsoka's trial is dated to be in March of 20 BBY in the Scum and Villainy reference book (I haven't been able to read myself but this is what I've gathered), where more in-universe dates are given.

The community over at r/StarWarsReference have seemingly decoded the dates such as the warrant for Leia's arrest in ANH being May 1st, resulting in the Death Star exploding on May 4th. The reddit page hasn't been active this past year, but if anyone is interested that much then feel free to check it all out. Due to the living mythology that is Star Wars, dates have already been moved around and will never be officially put in place in order to make more room for further stories, but it is insightful to me.

I've added the (approximate) years to the timeline, mostly using the Wookieepedia timeline. Let me know if you think any of these need tweaking!
Very nice thanks! I was planning to do a proper "rewatch" (before the Ahsoka show) because I only saw the movies and live-action shows so it would be very useful, thank you. :)

Is it canon? :oops:

They say that Kelleran Beq is related to a character in Star Wars 2?

With Andor taking place during Rebels, we definitely need to start figuring out how much time occurs between episodes of Rebels.

Is it canon? :oops:

They say that Kelleran Beq is related to a character in Star Wars 2?
I imagine it's one of those things where the characters might show up in other stories, but I think because of the nature of it being a game show it's hard to directly call it canon. I'll leave it off the timeline for now, but if stuff from the show ends up being referenced in other media, I might add it in.

Looks like for Tales of the Jedi, we're getting an Ahsoka story in 33?BBY, one between Clone Wars 3x9 and 3x10, and one maybe shortly after her arc in tcw

And then Dooku stories from 60ish??BBY, and one shortly before Phantom Menace maybe. And then one between Phantom Menace and attack of the Clones

Last edited:
Don't you think you should make the "timeline" more specific, I mean put every minute/page that each movie/series/series/book/comic happens so you don't take a book (in this case Queen's Peril) to year 0 ABY, just for the epilogue that happens in that year, since the whole book happens in year 32 BBY?

In "501 plus one" Anakin has no scar.

In Star Wars Adventures (2020) # 9-10 both Anakin and Windu wear their phase 2 uniforms while we are still in phase 1

Don't you think you should make the "timeline" more specific, I mean put every minute/page that each movie/series/series/book/comic happens so you don't take a book (in this case Queen's Peril) to year 0 ABY, just for the epilogue that happens in that year, since the whole book happens in year 32 BBY?
He won't ever do that

Like I say whenever people ask for this, if you want this kind of timeline, you're more than welcome to make one yourself, it's not like this has to be the only Star Wars timeline on the site! :) I'm only personally interested in it as a reading/viewing order.

Latest posts

Back