Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [SPOILERS]

Bass said:
Man... I forgot how cool R2 was.
Poor thing always gets messed up a bit, somehow. But he's very smart in getting out of trouble. :D

UltimateE said:
Most Star Wars fans would worship you for being able to get a girl to watch it with you.
Hehe, would you believe that the show I went to see there were a lot of girls there on their own? And they were HOT girls. :wink:

Seriously, they were! :)

Guijllons said:
When I went it was just full of the local skater kids, couldn't smell a single female.
And trust me, in this town.. you really can smell the women.

:sick: *koff koff*

UltimateE said:
Cool - Ice finally saw it. 8)

Now we're just waiting for Seldes to post her thoughts...
Um, actually, UltimateE, I think it might be better if I didn't. I sat down this weekend to type them up, and I'm sorry to say the rant is almost at the bottom of page 2 and still going.... :sure:

Seldes Katne said:
Um, actually, UltimateE, I think it might be better if I didn't. I sat down this weekend to type them up, and I'm sorry to say the rant is almost at the bottom of page 2 and still going.... :sure:
We can wait until you're done. Least I can. :mrgreen:

I have to say I liked it Waaaaay better the second time. I noticed the Millenium Falcon too. The two things I didn't like were when Mace was about to kill Palpatine and Palpatine goes "No! No!" He sounded like Mr. Bean :lol:
And of course, my other gripe was Vader's "Noooooooooooooooooooo!"

i watched the second time now, did you guys hear Tusken Raiders when Palpatine talks to Anakin about his mother? Or im just insane? :shock:

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
i watched the second time now, did you guys hear Tusken Raiders when Palpatine talks to Anakin about his mother? Or im just insane? :shock:
If you are, then I am too.

Hmmm....

ok....

I think that part III was the best of the series.

Discuss

I'd switch 4 and 6, the Ewoks were crap and all, but we had the emperor in 6 and it's certainly been the most quote worthy of all the films. After a couple of shandies they always pop out.

I go to the bar and get a bag of crisps and offer them round with the phrase, "you want this, don't you"

While halfheartedly attempting to chat up my female friends for the 66th, it's time to scout the room resulting in the "if you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will" quote. (Alas there is seldom a cry of "NOOOOOOOOOoo" from girl number 1)

If ever I have to concede a point in an argument, an authentic sounding "your hate makes you powerful my young apprentice" gets the treatment.

I don't get invited out often.

And Ep4 really only has "these aren't the droids you're looking for", and I've yet to slip that in convincingly.

But it's a dull as hell fight.
And Ep 4 has that stupid snake monster in the trash thing.

Anyway, I prefer 6 to 4. But I think 3 really is the best, and 2 the worse.

Yeah, 3 and 5 are the most emotional ones, and they really make you fell sad for Anakin/Luke, i just dont like 6 because of Luke's attitude he is so cocky in the RoTJ

I think 2 and 4 are the worst. 2 sucks cause george cant do love scenes. 4 just is sort of corny. 4 also just seems so old, for me at least!

"What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish! You don't complain about them!"

"Yeah, but Jar Jar Binks make the Ewoks look like ****ing Shaft!"

Here's a cool bit of weirdness. All the down-ending Star Wars films (2, 3 and 5) end with the character's backs to us, while all the up-ending ones (1, 4, and 6) end with them facing us.

How's that for dull?

Ice, when I made my earlier post, I was referring to the tone of the piece I was writing, not the length. However, for whatever it's worth, here are my thoughts on Episode III. Anyone out there who owns fire-proof or – retardant clothing may want to slip into it, as parts of this post are going to get a bit, ah, toasty, I'm afraid....

Well, after seeing Episode III on Saturday, I guess I'm four for six for the Star Wars films. Liked the Original Trilogy, loved Episode I, disliked Episode II, and was underwhelmed by Episode III.

I'm afraid I have to agree with MWoF and Ourchair. If I had to describe this film in one word, it would be "methodical". I could almost see George Lucas standing there with his list, checking off each required plot point:

• Dooku killed so Anakin can become the next Sith apprentice? Check.
  • Palpatine revealed as the Sith Lord? Check.
  • Kill off all Jedi? Check.
  • Big fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan involving lava? Check.
  • Darth in the Vader suit? Check.
  • Twins named appropriately? Check.
  • Leia shipped off to Alderaan (without any kind of Jedi presence or even checking in because, hey, she's just a girl and therefore of lesser importance than her male sibling, yet again reminding me that despite the fact I love these movies, they really are some of the most sexist films in existence)? Check.
  • Luke sent off to aunt and uncle on Tatooine? Check.

That was pretty much the sum of the film — moving through required elements to set us up for Star Wars: A New Hope, as though the events of that movie were going to take place next week, instead of in 18 years, so we needed to explain absolutely everything by the end of Episode III. For example, I really didn't think we needed to have the Emperor aged to the point where he looked exactly like his appearance 20 years later in Return of the Jedi. Hints of it, yes. The full monte, no — that could have happened during the years between the trilogies. Nor did the construction of the Death Star make sense, either; it took them 18 years to build the first one, but they cranked the second one out in three years? Why did they even need a Death Star, anyway? Darth Vader had "brought peace" to the galaxy, right? The Seperatists were all dead, the Senators thought the re-organization of the Republic into the Empire was a good thing, and there's no Rebellion in sight. (There's a handful of people kinda sneaking around behind the Emperor's back, but that's it at this point.)

To be honest, this was pretty much what I had expected from III; what I had hoped for was that some of the background characters or peripheral subplots would have provided some interest in the midst of a film that would deal heavily with a character for whom I had developed an active hatred by the end of Episode II.

No such luck. Not even the presence of Wookiees in the film could make it interesting. (I really, really wanted to go explore Kashyyyk and all those awesome treehouses and other sites of interest instead of watching the rest of Episode III. *Sigh*)

The one thing that might have saved this movie for me would have been allowing Padmé to behave in a manner consistent with her character in The Phantom Menace, and to some extent in Attack of the Clones. Alas, this not only didn't happen, but the whole "she's lost her will to live" garbage made me want to hurtle my popcorn container at the screen in disgust. This is supposed to be the same girl who, after failing to get any kind of support or help from the duly-elected Republic government, returned to Naboo and kicked the Trade Federation's collective posterior off her planet in TPM? The young woman who insisted on rescuing Obi-Wan and fought off a nexu in the arena in AotC? She just "loses her will to live" after giving birth to twins (apparently she doesn't feel her children need a mother) and finding out her husband has become an evil bad guy (the galaxy doesn't need saving)? Does getting married and being pregnant really cause a woman to change from an intelligent, self-confident individual into a weepy hand-wringer who just gives up? :furious:

For me, a much better ending for Padmé would have been for her to hand the twins off to the various surrogate parents (for safekeeping) and go on to form the early group that would become the Rebellion in later films. This would have been more in keeping with her character, would have given the Emperor and Vader a reason to keep the Imperial fleet and start building the Death Star, and would have shown us that she had come back to her senses after the major mistake of marrying an arrogant, whiny jerk. (I'm sorry, but I really feel that someone should have explained to Obi-Wan the disciplinary value of a rolled-up newspaper when he was training Anakin as a padawan....)

Given that fact that George Lucas manages to produce exactly one, count her, one strong woman who has any major impact in each of the trilogies, he still succeeds in screwing this one up royally (if you'll excuse the expression). In my opinion he tried to do that with Leia, too, by putting her into that annoying "slave dancer" costume which seems to have had the sole purpose of giving the hordes of Star Wars fanboys a cheap thrill. (I mean, really, why would a slug-like alien find a human woman in skimpy clothing to be even remotely interesting or attractive? Unless it was done for the humiliation factor. And good for Leia for keeping her composure and getting even with the no-good louse in the end!)

Okay, there will be a brief pause while I take a few deep breaths and calm down. [Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale....]

Having it revealed that Yoda had apparently learned that trick of reappearing after death because he'd been communing with Qui-Gon Jinn and was going to put Obi-Wan in touch with him while on Tatooine had me rolling my eyes in exasperation. That one pretty much came out of left field. Besides, if Yoda and Obi-Wan learned it from "talking" with Qui-Gon, how did Anakin/Vader learn it by the end of RotJ? Did he have Obi-Wan's hut on Tatooine bugged? Evesdropped on someone's meditational conversations? Why didn't we ever get so much as a hint that Qui-Gon could do this before the end of this movie? What the heck has he been doing all this time? That just seemed like a poor set-up from a storytelling point of view.

Wracking my brain trying to find something good to say, here…. Okay, well, I don't know how "good" this is, but the back-stabbing slaughter of the Jedi by their supposed support troops and allies was heartbreaking to watch and was done well in little snippets of film. I knew some of those characters from either the Dark Horse comics or other Expanded Universe sources, so it was particularly painful to see.

Also, I take a certain satisfaction in knowing that the Jar Jar Binks haters in the fandom are probably disappointed by the fact that Jar Jar and his race survive, apparently all the way to the end of RotJ. (I had been doing some research over at StarWars.com in the databank, and the Gungans were listed as appearing in Episode VI. "What the heck….since when? I don't remember Gungans in that movie," I mutter, and go on to find that they were among the clips added to the end of RotJ in celebration after the Empire is defeated. Cool! I can plan out some post-trilogy Gungan stories now….)

Others of the Jedi may very well have survived the Purge, given that Obi-Wan changes the "distress signal" at the Jedi Temple and warns any survivors away. That's a good thing, at least.

Seeing Wookiees in action was pretty neat, although I wish we had seen more of them. I have a question for people who've seen the film more than once—is it my imagination, or did Yoda just kind of up and desert the Wookiees to the invading Clone Troopers after the troopers tried to kill him? I couldn't figure out what the military situation was on Kashyyyk at that point.

I can't say I really found the film a disappointment, as I was resigned to slogging through the whole "Anakin turns to the Dark Side" theme, but I don't know as I can point to any highlights, either. The space battles and special effects were excellent as always, and the music was good, although a lot of it seemed to be recycled from the other SW movies. [shrugs] Not complaining, though — John Williams is a favorite composer of mine.

Whew. Sorry about the griping — I think I kind of soured the mood of the thread. :oops: And as I did after writing my response to Ultimates 2 Issue 6, I need to remind myself that I'm not really the target group for these movies, either; they again are geared more toward younger male audiences, and I'm just an odd visitor. (Although I bet that after reading this, Widdle Wade is now glad he went to the showing with his girlfriend and not with me…. :wink: )

Latest posts

Back