Super Mario (and Nintendo Business)

The reason Waluigi's retarded is that he's soley there to be the opposite of Luigi.

Wario makes sense, because his name starts with a "W", and the fact that it's an upside down "M" is like a side-joke. Waluigi's name also starts with a "W", so what does he have on his hat? An upside "L".

:roll:

The reason Waluigi's retarded is that he's soley there to be the opposite of Luigi.

Wario makes sense, because his name starts with a "W", and the fact that it's an upside down "M" is like a side-joke. Waluigi's name also starts with a "W", so what does he have on his hat? An upside "L".

:roll:

Wario's and Waluigi's names are Japanese inventions:

Wario is a blend of Mario's name and warui, the Japanese word for bad or evil.
Waluigi is a portmaneau of Luigi and warui, hence, "bad luigi".

In Japanese, Luigi is pronounced like 'ruiji' in Japanese which means analogous, or copy.

L's are pronounced like R's in Japanese.

So warui+Luigi=warui+ruigi=waruiji=Waluigi

His name makes sense in Japanese. Also, the symbol on Waluigi's hat and gloves is an inverse L.

links:

http://www.answers.com/waluigi
http://www.wikipedia.org/wario

Last edited:
Methinks Waluigi works if you view him as a parody. He's the Hypno-Hustler of the Mario world.

Mavericker said:
What was the point of Bowser Jr. if the Koopalings already exist?
To have an awesome character.

Although making him look almost exactly like Baby Bowser was more retarded than Vito. Then they went and changed Baby Bowser's design to make them look even *more* alike. Stupid.

Last edited:

In Japanese, Luigi is pronounced like 'ruiji' in Japanese which means analogous, or copy.

His name makes sense in Japanese. Also, the symbol on Waluigi's hat and gloves is an inverse L.

Wow... I'm actually impressed. Thats interesting and I've never heard it before.

Wow... I'm actually impressed. Thats interesting and I've never heard it before.

I've seen it before.

While I know for a fact that's how Waluigi came to be, Wario is less certain. The fact that a W is a reverse of an M is far more likely than using the same pun that was used for Waluigi.

I've seen it before.

While I know for a fact that's how Waluigi came to be, Wario is less certain. The fact that a W is a reverse of an M is far more likely than using the same pun that was used for Waluigi.

Wario's name stems from the word warui.

From http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mario_history.shtml:

Wario
Wario's name is a combination of Mario and warui, which means "bad" in Japanese.

Waluigi
Nintendo Power magazine Vol. 135 (August 2000 issue) enlightened us with the fact that Waluigi's name "comes from a rearrangement of the word [ijiwaru]—Japanese for 'someone who's bad.'"

Last edited:
There's info on the etymology of Wario's name here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Nintendo

There are a few sites that state the same thing-it's a coincidence that the "W" in Wario's name is an inverse "M".

I still say it's a vague connection. Wiki, again, isn't a legitamate source. For all we know, all of these sites took it from Wiki or Mushroom Kingdom and claimed it as fact.

Super Paper Mario is the best Mario game ever.

Vito, the "lost" Mario brother.

new-super-mario-bros-20050515005341.jpg

HOTT.

links:

http://www.answers.com/waluigi
http://www.wikipedia.org/wario

That's neat, but the "Wa" business still doesn't work with Luigi the way it does with Mario. Like I said, the fact that Waluigi has an upside-down "L" means he's only there to be the opposite of Luigi, unlike Wario, whose upside-down "M" is also a W, the first letter of his name.

It sounds like it makes more sense in Japanese, but then they should've changed it for the North American version. I mean Bowser is just called "Koopa" over there.

That's neat, but the "Wa" business still doesn't work with Luigi the way it does with Mario. Like I said, the fact that Waluigi has an upside-down "L" means he's only there to be the opposite of Luigi, unlike Wario, whose upside-down "M" is also a W, the first letter of his name.

It sounds like it makes more sense in Japanese, but then they should've changed it for the North American version. I mean Bowser is just called "Koopa" over there.

It's continuity of theme. That's an upside-down backwards L on Waluigi's hat and gloves.
You can't spell his name with that symbol in English.
You can ask someone in an Asian forum if you don't believe me-they'll tell you the same thing.

How else would you cross "Mario" with "warui"? Warumario would look weird.
I read somewhere Waluigi was going to be called "Warluigi".

I've got some suggestions for new items and power-ups in Mario-related adventure games:

Silver Coins-you collect 200 of these to get a 1-up
Bronze Coins-you collect 500 to get 1-up
Asterisk Blocks-you Mario or Luigi hit them they unlock either Question Blocks or Exclamation Blocks-to heighten the mystery of what items are in them
Acid Power-up-some kind of power up that grants Mario/Luigi acid powers
Drill Power-up-a power-up that grants Mario/Luigi power to dig through blocks, stone and through the ground and enemies
Atomic Power-up-power up that grants Mario/Luigi powers like alchemy, pass through solid objects, radiation blasts, snatch hard-to-get-to items
Beaver Power up-power up that Mario/Luigi beaver-like abilities
Ice Flower-power up similar to Fire Flower-grants Mario/Luigi ice powers
Liquid Power-up that grants Mario/Luigi fluid powers

Last edited:
While it sounds interesting I'm wondering where you got the idea for beaver powers.

Beaver powers for Mario/Luigi would include: the power to gnaw through things, pick up, carry, and flip objects and enemies with tail, build and whack things with tail, and aid in swimming.

There should also be:

A Rocket Power-Up: Gives Mario/Luigi flight. ability to launch missiles
Laser Power-Up: Gives Mario/Luigi ability to fire lasers
Some kind of Camoflage Power-Up
Rock Power-Up
Tornado Power-Up

Last edited:
Beaver powers for Mario/Luigi would include: the power to gnaw through things, pick up, carry, and flip objects and enemies with tail, build things with tail, and aid in swimming.

Other than the "building things with the tail" part I think your idea would be great for a 2D Mario adventure, sorta like Racoon Mario in SMB3.

Latest posts

Back