Supergirl Series Discussion *Spoilers*

For those that care....

There's been a change of plans! the Joe Kelly story originally planned for Supergirl#12 has been rescheduled. In it's place will be a story from newly aquired talent Justin Gray/Jim Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. Their plans? Introducing an all new Terra!!!

The story finds Supergirl and no match against a monster that's using her emotions as a weapon. Instead this looks like a job for Terra!

Story coming in Novemeber.

Plus--this issue will pave the way for a 2007 Terra miniseries.

No link but reported as read in CSN.

So now there's PowerBoy? I both love and hate where this is going.

It's a shame that the secret identity thing didn't work out. But now we have Kara trying to become an Outsider because she thinks Nightwing's hot?

I still love this book.....but the plots for this book get dumber and dumber by each arc. It needs direction......and FAST!

I picked this up for the first time since that horrible Kandor storyline, and I don't know what to think about this book.

On the plus side, the writing's fairly sharp, the eart's good, and they're quick with the dialogue. The Outsiders are characterized pretty well, and the villains are pretty interesting. Pirates are always awesome. Plus, the writer's got mad respect for T&A. It's like he's writing the comic book equivalent of VIP, but it's actually well written. I also dig the flashbacks to her childhood. Something seriously ****ed up is going on.

OTOH, it's like he's writing the comic book equivalent of VIP. Supergirl comes across as ditzy (although that line where she breaks down exactly how the hostage situation needs to go was dope), and I don't see where the plot is going in the long term.

But, it's good enough that it's got a place on my regular comics rotation (and I've just recently purged a number of DC titles), and I might actually track down the back issues for it. What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
I picked this up for the first time since that horrible Kandor storyline, and I don't know what to think about this book.

On the plus side, the writing's fairly sharp, the eart's good, and they're quick with the dialogue. The Outsiders are characterized pretty well, and the villains are pretty interesting. Pirates are always awesome. Plus, the writer's got mad respect for T&A. It's like he's writing the comic book equivalent of VIP, but it's actually well written. I also dig the flashbacks to her childhood. Something seriously ****ed up is going on.

OTOH, it's like he's writing the comic book equivalent of VIP. Supergirl comes across as ditzy (although that line where she breaks down exactly how the hostage situation needs to go was dope), and I don't see where the plot is going in the long term.

But, it's good enough that it's got a place on my regular comics rotation (and I've just recently purged a number of DC titles), and I might actually track down the back issues for it. What does everyone else think?

The Kandor arc was was just stupid. There's no getting around it. But the issues that followed it were actually ok. They didn't have a real direction per se....but they followed kara trying to find herself and establish her as a real person and not some Superman clone.

The issue where she goes on a date with Capt Boomerang and the other where she tries to develop a secret identity were topnotch. This issue was pretty good too.

I loved the part where she explains how she took down the guy without actually shooting him. Pretty ingenious. The problem is that the story jumps around so much that you can't tell if it's in the past or present.

Since prior to the Kandor arc there's only one TPB (Supergirl: Power) I suggest giving it a read. It actually had a good story to it. I also suggest reading Batman/Superman Vol2: Supergirl, first even before you read the main Supergirl trade.

The Batman/Superman story reintroduces her into the DC main universe and kinda revamps the character a bit. According to Dan Dido and Jeph Loeb---this is the definitive Supergirl origin (for now).

So in order:

Batman/Superman Vol2: Supergirl
Supergirl Vol1: Power

The Kandor arc was was just stupid. There's no getting around it. But the issues that followed it were actually ok. They didn't have a real direction per se....but they followed kara trying to find herself and establish her as a real person and not some Superman clone.

The issue where she goes on a date with Capt Boomerang and the other where she tries to develop a secret identity were topnotch. This issue was pretty good too.

I loved the part where she explains how she took down the guy without actually shooting him. Pretty ingenious. The problem is that the story jumps around so much that you can't tell if it's in the past or present.

Since prior to the Kandor arc there's only one TPB (Supergirl: Power) I suggest giving it a read. It actually had a good story to it. I also suggest reading Batman/Superman Vol2: Supergirl, first even before you read the main Supergirl trade.

The Batman/Superman story reintroduces her into the DC main universe and kinda revamps the character a bit. According to Dan Dido and Jeph Loeb---this is the definitive Supergirl origin (for now).

So in order:

Batman/Superman Vol2: Supergirl
Supergirl Vol1: Power

Thanks, Vic. I'm actually fairly well verse in the stuff up to this point. I read both the Batman/Superman trade and Power during Infinite Crisis. Both were pretty alright, even though I hate Loeb on that book. His internal monologue sucks.

"I don't get why Batman's so dark."
"I don't get why Superman's so cheery."
"Once I brought him a bouquet of daisies, and he stomped them out right in front of me."
"Once I tried to write him a poem about my feelings, but he said it was 'too dark'."
"I cried."
"I cut myself."

All I really need to catch up with is the post-Kandor issues. Kandor SUCKED BALLS.

Personally, I didn't have a lot of trouble with the time jumps. The first read through it's damn confusing, but if you just flip back, most of it makes sense with a second skim-over. At first I thought his portrayal of Supergirl was a little too silly, and then I looked back at girls I knew in high school, and it's actually pretty spot-on. I think if they keep developing her in the same way she has been, she'll be a damn interesting character in her own right.

Last edited:
Gotcha. So Kandor arc concludes with #8.

Then in issue #9 that's the date with Boomerang. #10 is the secret identity issue. Both capture the character of Kara and Supergirl absolutely perfect. And #11 is this week's issue.

So you really only need to read 2 issues. But those 2 that you missed happen to be the best issues by far.

Gotcha. So Kandor arc concludes with #8.

Then in issue #9 that's the date with Boomerang. #10 is the secret identity issue. Both capture the character of Kara and Supergirl absolutely perfect. And #11 is this week's issue.

So you really only need to read 2 issues. But those 2 that you missed happen to be the best issues by far.

Giggity. I was planning on catching issue 9, because the new Cap Boomerang is easily one of the coolest characters around, but I didn't for some reason. It was either a delay, or me forgetting to pick it up or something, and then I just lost track of it. I'll probably pick up the two back issues the week that the Palmiotti ish comes out, so that I can wait until the reviews come out to pick it up. Palmiotti is meh.

And his Supergirl issue was good.

The new Terra is creepy.

I really like the direction they are goin with this. Especially the relationship of her and Cap.Boomrang.

And his Supergirl issue was good.

The new Terra is creepy.

I really like the direction they are goin with this. Especially the relationship of her and Cap.Boomrang.

Just read this issue over the weekend. A few points--
  • Palmiotti and Grey should take over Supergirl. They have the character spot on.
  • Art was awesome.
  • Was actually underwhelmed by Terra.

This title has so much potential that it's scary. I just wish they'd settle on a storyline and stick with it. Too bad Palmiotti was a one-shot. :(

I also just realized that Boomer is a perv. Isn't he like in his 20s along with Nightwing? But yet he's totally wanting Kara (a 16 year old girl)? Perv. :lol:

Last edited:
Ugh.

Why can't this book ever find a story and stick with it?

The Terra issue was great. Palmiotti/Grey should totally stick with the book and the art was awesome as well.

But then we get right back to the PowerBoy mystery and we gets nothing. Now backstory, no explanation, no drag out. And now in the next issue its Kara Vs Batgirl (which is kinda stupid since Cassie hung up the cape and cowl in order to lead the League of Assasins).

Kelly is seriously ruining a possibly great book. The book needs direction.....and fast.

Anyone reading Supergirl and the Legion? I ordered the first 3 trades since I needed me a Legion Fix after finding some old Silver Age Legion books while reorganizing. Have I made a mistake?

But then we get right back to the PowerBoy mystery and we gets nothing. Now backstory, no explanation, no drag out. And now in the next issue its Kara Vs Batgirl (which is kinda stupid since Cassie hung up the cape and cowl in order to lead the League of Assasins).

Kelly is seriously ruining a possibly great book. The book needs direction.....and fast.

No crap, and now in Teen Titans, she's wearing the costume again

Please, like Bruce would let her do that.

No crap, and now in Teen Titans, she's wearing the costume again

Please, like Bruce would let her do that.

See...I didn't even know that since I dropped TT several months ago.

Ugh....

This is a shame too since bothe Cassie and Kara have to be 2 of the most intriguing characters DC has right now. But all they do is squander them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back