Supergirl Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Ugh.

Why can't this book ever find a story and stick with it?

The Terra issue was great. Palmiotti/Grey should totally stick with the book and the art was awesome as well.

But then we get right back to the PowerBoy mystery and we gets nothing. Now backstory, no explanation, no drag out. And now in the next issue its Kara Vs Batgirl (which is kinda stupid since Cassie hung up the cape and cowl in order to lead the League of Assasins).

Kelly is seriously ruining a possibly great book. The book needs direction.....and fast.

I see the direction is that Kara is still trying to find her direction. It makes sense to me.

I see the direction is that Kara is still trying to find her direction. It makes sense to me.

But they can do that without having the story jump around like that. And I know the Kandor story will and is supposed to tie into everything else......but they're just not doing a good job of it.

It helped that she gave the reason she was acting all emo in the past few issues. But having her jump around from one superhero to the next is just fustrating.

The new issue was a real disappointment.

The fight between my girl's was no where as cool as it should be.

The art was very very off than usual.

And the diamond thing....wtf is that?

But there is some interesting devlopments with Powerboy.

I am starting to hate this book. This issue was a complete waste.

The only good thing from it was that we're starting to see some further development in the PowerBoy aspect. But I expect that to end in about 2 issues or so. Which means they'll have wasted another opportunity to do something great.

Man....after IC---OYL was shaping up to be awesome. But poor stories from several titles are starting to make DC look like crap.

This was the first book in months to actually be good. I mean yeah the Palmiotti/Gray issue with Terra was pretty good......but it was a one-shot so it doesn't count.

But this latest issue finally gave the book some much needed direction. We finally get the reason why Kara has crystals coming outta her. And why she must kill Superman. Finally some answers! And the answers made sense...............kinda.

My biggest worry is that Kelly will squander this new direction in favor of something stupid like another team-up or big name battle. He did the same thing with the "Secret Identity" story.....but in retrospect---that story played into a bigger picture. If not for that alienation...she wouldn't have taken to Power Boy so quick. And if she didn't take to Power Boy they wouldn't have had that space fight. And if that had never happened we wouldn't have gotten this issue where everything is explained.

Granted Kelly is building on stuff here much like Kirkman......but Kelly is leaving too many and too huge plotholes.

The one thing I did enjoy was the art. It was perfect. Garza (I think that's his name) was pure magic on this. His art seemed to be a perfect fusion of his own/Kelly's/Kubert's Action Comic book. It all worked so well. I hope he continues on this book and isn't just a filler artist for this arc.

TOG will like this one.

This was the first book in months to actually be good. I mean yeah the Palmiotti/Gray issue with Terra was pretty good......but it was a one-shot so it doesn't count.

But this latest issue finally gave the book some much needed direction. We finally get the reason why Kara has crystals coming outta her. And why she must kill Superman. Finally some answers! And the answers made sense...............kinda.

My biggest worry is that Kelly will squander this new direction in favor of something stupid like another team-up or big name battle. He did the same thing with the "Secret Identity" story.....but in retrospect---that story played into a bigger picture. If not for that alienation...she wouldn't have taken to Power Boy so quick. And if she didn't take to Power Boy they wouldn't have had that space fight. And if that had never happened we wouldn't have gotten this issue where everything is explained.

Granted Kelly is building on stuff here much like Kirkman......but Kelly is leaving too many and too huge plotholes.

The one thing I did enjoy was the art. It was perfect. Garza (I think that's his name) was pure magic on this. His art seemed to be a perfect fusion of his own/Kelly's/Kubert's Action Comic book. It all worked so well. I hope he continues on this book and isn't just a filler artist for this arc.

TOG will like this one.

Mind giving a summary? I dropped Supergirl after last month's issue.

TOG will like this one.

That I did. I hope he stays on as the series artist.

I do agree with the answers sort of made sense. I do like that her father wasn't evil. I hated that idea and that he was all over her naked. It was very disturbing. I did like the two fallen El brothers thing they had goin.

Last edited:
Numerous inconsistencies in the latest issue in a lame attempt to resolve bad writing. Spoilers ahead, so yeah.

1. Sunstone invented by Zor-El - How is this even possible? It's been stated numerous times since IF and even before that that sunstone has been used on Krypton for millenia and that Kryptonians specifically bred the crystalline element of their planet to do so. Anybody remember that ancient Kryptonian warship that Lex brought up from the ground? Made of, you know, SUNSTONE? This is just dumb.

2. Phantoms - They obviously put this one in from the Smallville TV show. If you don't watch it, in the show, the Phantom Zone turns its subject into literal phantoms that can escape the Zone and possess people. Now, while I have no problem at all with that, it's the fact that it's never been mentioned before. The Phantom Zone's been around for a long time, and surely Clark would have discovered something like this.

3. Jor-El is a dick - This I'm definitely not buying. Jor-El has been shown to be a kind man who seeks the best for all of Krypton. Surely he would have listened to his brother. They just portrayed Jor-El as this gigantic ******* throughout the whole issue.

In conclusion, this book blows. I think Kara should have stayed in the Silver Age where she belonged. If they can pump out this crap, somebody please bring back Ace the Bat-Hound.

I think Kara should have stayed in the Silver Age where she belonged.

This version of Kara could have been incredibly interesting, but it's been pretty crap through the past few issues. It's a damn shame, because I like her. I really do.

Doc Comic said:
If they can pump out this crap, somebody please bring back Ace the Bat-Hound.

Morrison is. On Batman. Seriously.

Morrison is. On Batman. Seriously.

bkgodtk2.jpg

Numerous inconsistencies in the latest issue in a lame attempt to resolve bad writing. Spoilers ahead, so yeah.

1. Sunstone invented by Zor-El - How is this even possible? It's been stated numerous times since IF and even before that that sunstone has been used on Krypton for millenia and that Kryptonians specifically bred the crystalline element of their planet to do so. Anybody remember that ancient Kryptonian warship that Lex brought up from the ground? Made of, you know, SUNSTONE? This is just dumb.

2. Phantoms - They obviously put this one in from the Smallville TV show. If you don't watch it, in the show, the Phantom Zone turns its subject into literal phantoms that can escape the Zone and possess people. Now, while I have no problem at all with that, it's the fact that it's never been mentioned before. The Phantom Zone's been around for a long time, and surely Clark would have discovered something like this.

3. Jor-El is a dick - This I'm definitely not buying. Jor-El has been shown to be a kind man who seeks the best for all of Krypton. Surely he would have listened to his brother. They just portrayed Jor-El as this gigantic ******* throughout the whole issue.

In conclusion, this book blows. I think Kara should have stayed in the Silver Age where she belonged. If they can pump out this crap, somebody please bring back Ace the Bat-Hound.

I'll give you the sunstone, but the phantoms and Jor-El as a dick could be just perspective. I mean, it is the story of Supergirl and her father. He could be insane and seeing phantoms, in his insanity he could convince his young daughter that he is right. I didn't think Jor-El was a dick, his brother was obviously insane, I would totally ignore him too.

The tale could be the truth, but I don't think it is the absolute truth, her father was a sick man, he made experiences with his daughter!

Last edited:
I'll give you the sunstone, but the phantoms and Jor-El as a dick could be just perspective. I mean, it is the story of Supergirl and her father. He could be insane and seeing phantoms, in his insanity he could convince his young daughter that he is right. I didn't think Jor-El was a dick, his brother was obviously insane, I would totally ignore him too.

The tale could be the truth, but I don't think it is the absolute truth, her father was a sick man, he made experiences with his daughter!

Explosion experiences?

That's it. I'm done.

I can't take anymore of this stuff. This book has no direction...at all. Ever. After the next issue which concludes this "arc" (if you can call it that) I'm dropping this book. There's only so much mediocrity one can take.

Basically, in the new issue---Kara is back on Earth. The Phantoms have taken over everyone and everyone is now some hate-spewing zombie. Ugh. And the only way to bring them outta the trance is for Kara to stab or cut them with the sunstones coming outta her body.

You get that? Yeah--me neither.

And then...right when they think they have a plan....another Supergirl shows up and claims that Kara isn't the real Supergirl (In the pages of WWIII---J'onn says he sees Kara flying back to Earth from sapce and then she splits into 2 different beings). Yep. Still confused.

I'm done.

The only real good thing about this book is that Ale Garza's art is awesome. It's just a shame that Kelly's writing is worse than Bendis' USM.

Done and done.

That's it. I'm done.

I can't take anymore of this stuff. This book has no direction...at all. Ever. After the next issue which concludes this "arc" (if you can call it that) I'm dropping this book. There's only so much mediocrity one can take.

Basically, in the new issue---Kara is back on Earth. The Phantoms have taken over everyone and everyone is now some hate-spewing zombie. Ugh. And the only way to bring them outta the trance is for Kara to stab or cut them with the sunstones coming outta her body.

You get that? Yeah--me neither.

And then...right when they think they have a plan....another Supergirl shows up and claims that Kara isn't the real Supergirl (In the pages of WWIII---J'onn says he sees Kara flying back to Earth from sapce and then she splits into 2 different beings). Yep. Still confused.

I'm done.

The only real good thing about this book is that Ale Garza's art is awesome. It's just a shame that Kelly's writing is worse than Bendis' USM.

Done and done.

ugh. When's a new writer coming on?

Sadly....I have clue. I haven't heard any news about them taking the book from Joe Kelly.

For those who continue to read.....you're stuck with him. Which is a shame too. A few issues back they did a stand-alone issue with the new Terra, written by Palmiotti/Grey. It was pretty damn good.

The should stick with the artist they have now....and get Palmiotti to do this book.

Latest posts

Back