Superman/Batman series discussion *Spoilers*

I how random and odd this series under Green. They are entertaining and odd stories. I am entertained by what are really stupid ideas and make them entertaining in a way that doesn't take itself to serious.

A kryponite infused Doomsday? Sure

Chibi Batman & Superman? Hilarious

Batman gains the powers of Superman and never stops fighting crime? Makes sense.

The Justice Titans? With characters such as Star Canary and Green Wing? Great. Even the odd looking Doomstroke and Lex Joker.

So, I picked up this month's book when I saw Joe Casey listed as the writer. When did this book suddenly become good?

It's derelict space horror with both of the characters in atypical situations, no slash fan-fiction internal monologues, no ugly blocked translations of "Kryptonian language", smart but understated characterization... As far as I understood, this book was being phoned in by primetime genre television writers. Is good writing a sudden phenomenon, or have I been missing out on something for the past few months?

I haven't read the latest issue yet but the one before that (I think?) was also really good. I don't know how or when it happened.

I haven't read the latest issue yet but the one before that (I think?) was also really good. I don't know how or when it happened.

I think I saw that in the shop too, but it was written by Michael Green, so I passed on it. That's the one with Grodd on the cover, right?

I think I saw that in the shop too, but it was written by Michael Green, so I passed on it. That's the one with Grodd on the cover, right?

Yeah. It was simple but a lot of fun and I really liked the art.

And now I've just noticed that Francis Manapul drew a few issues before that. I'll have to check those out too.

Yeah. It was simple but a lot of fun and I really liked the art.

And now I've just noticed that Francis Manapul drew a few issues before that. I'll have to check those out too.

Hm. I'll probably pick up the torrent and then maybe pick up some back issues if I enjoy it. ;) I won't hold out too much hope though. I'm kind of a snob, but Casey is one of my favorites. The back of the issue seems to indicate that this Casey issue is a prologue to something coming out in December or January. I don't know if he's taking over writing chores or if there's some other project this is spinning into, but next month is a Halloween issue by more TV writers and then there's a two part Blackest Night story by Scott Kolins... I like his art, but has anyone checked out his writing? Is it any good?

Edit: Apparently starting next year, the book is going to be about flashbacks to earlier event storylines. Huh.... That's not terribly appealing is it?

Last edited:
Hm. I'll probably pick up the torrent and then maybe pick up some back issues if I enjoy it. ;) I won't hold out too much hope though. I'm kind of a snob, but Casey is one of my favorites. The back of the issue seems to indicate that this Casey issue is a prologue to something coming out in December or January. I don't know if he's taking over writing chores or if there's some other project this is spinning into, but next month is a Halloween issue by more TV writers and then there's a two part Blackest Night story by Scott Kolins... I like his art, but has anyone checked out his writing? Is it any good?

He wrote the Solomon Grundy mini which I believe the Superman/Batman issues follow on from. It was decent but I found it boring.

He wrote the Solomon Grundy mini which I believe the Superman/Batman issues follow on from. It was decent but I found it boring.

Hum. Yeah. I'll probably pass on that, then. From the sound of things, I doubt I'll like the new direction of the book any more than I liked the old.

Last edited:
I really liked Michael Green's odd creative run on the title.

His Darksied arc was the best.

I read the story where Superman and Batman were trying to get rid of all the kryptonite, and I thought it was just atrocious.

That was Michael Green, right?

I picked up #75 today for Adam Hughes' two-page comic about Supergirl and Batgirl. It's poignant and subtle, and reminiscent of the opening of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN (even though I know he hasn't read it).

Also, Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo have a two-page story called "Joker & Lex" but it's done as a CALVIN & HOBBES strip. It's delightful.

I also enjoyed the Conner and Damian bit at the ending, with the mentions of Terry as Batman.

I don't get why it has to be marketed as a "super sized special". That seems biased. Can't it be a "bat sized special"?

Latest posts

Back