Superman: Last Son discussion [spoilers]

E

Excelsior Club
I just read Superman: Last Son and thought it was pretty good. It was the first story I have ever read with General Zod.

Basically, a ship crash lands in Metropolis carrying a young boy. it is soon determined that he is Kryptonian. Clark and Lois adopt him to keep him safe and name him Christopher Kent.

Turns out he's actually General Zod's son and came from the Phantom Zone. A bunch of former Phantom Zone prisoners break out and attack Metropolis, and Superman is forced to team up with Lex Luthor (with the aid of Bizarro, Parasite, and Metallo.

General Zod attacks and, long story short, Luthor, Parasite and Metallo kill most/all of the Kryptonians. Luthor opens up a portal back to the Phantom Zone which will pull in anyone who has had contact with it - including Superman. Those that aren't killed are sucked back in, and Christopher Kent allows himself to be taken back to close the portal (he is linked to the portal because it was opened from his ship).

Chapter 4 is kind of cool because it is done in 3D and comes with 3D glasses. But you have to cut them out of the book, and I wasn't about to cut up my book for a few scenes.

Pretty good story, great art (I love the cover image). 3.75/5

(covers Action Comics 844, 845, 846, 851, & Action Comics Annual #11)

I just read Superman: Last Son and thought it was pretty good. It was the first story I have ever read with General Zod.

That's not surprising this story marks first appearance of the true general Zod in the post Crisis Universe.

Before now, the only versions of Zod that showed up in the post crisis were one in an alternate dimension (thus not in the main DCU), a Russian villain who took Zod's name, but had nothing to do with him otherwise and a villains that were Zod "fake outs" (pretended to be Zod, but weren't the real deal) its kinda confusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Zod

All you really have to know is, this Zod's first true appearance in post crisis DCU.

Though interesting enough Superman did kill the alternate universe Zod, marking the first time Superman has ever killed a villain, to my knowledge.

I like Zod though, I liked him in the movies and I liked him in this story. Zod is a good evil reflection of Superman, he is a villain that represents everything Lex fears about Superman, a villain with the same powers as Superman, but uses them to dominate rather then serve.

Last edited:
No one else read this? Was it not liked by most Superman readers?

Nah, it was cool. We briefly discussed it in the Action Comics/Superman thread. I really dug the Superman team-up with the Revenge Squad. And the Supes/Bizarro throwdown at the bus depot was classic.

From the look of things, I think this upcoming New Krypton story might essentially be a sequel.

Last edited:

I loved it. It was basically a better use of the concepts from Superman II and Superman Returns and it's one of the best Superman stories I've read in years.

Gold Kryptonite can now work as a Kryptonite condom. Yay.

Does Zod do his "kneel before zod" thing?

Does Zod do his "kneel before zod" thing?

He doesn't say that exactly, but he sort of hints at it (e.g. "I swear to you Kal-El, I will make you kneel!"). It works a lot better, while still paying tribute to the classic OTTness of Terrence Stamp.

Latest posts

Back