Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
About the kid: People are making too big of a deal about him. The way I can see things panning out, the kid's role isn't expanded all that much in either of the sequels. Doing anything even remotely close to "Superboy" is out of the question. It would just be bad. In the first sequel, I'd like to see Richard and Lois stay together. Having Superman show up out of nowhere and steal Lois and Jason from such a nice guy would just make Superman a douchebag.

The second movie could get a lot of it's emotion from the idea that Superman is not only separated from Lois, but his own son (Superman can't necessarily go to court and demand shared custody). At the end of the first sequel, Richard dies. It's cruel, but it's the only way to get rid of him. At the very end, Clark reveals his identity to Lois. At this point everyone expects things to turn out like Spider-Man 2 (Hero reveals identity, Love Interest is suddenly all over him), but they don't. Lois tells Clark that she can't trust him due to the fact that he's lied to her the whole time they've known each other.

In the third movie, Superman must prove himself to a very overwhelmed and heartbroken Lois. In the end, the two get together and resolve to raise Jason together. Through all of this we only see Jason use his powers in subtle, offscreen ways. If he does overtly display his abilities, it should only be done at the end of the third film (Possibly to Save Supes' from certain death).

Remember, even if the films are in real time and 3 years passes between each installment, that will only make the kid 11 in the last one. Jason isn't going to be some 20 year old Superboy in the next movie.
ProjectX2 said:
For some reason, I'm sure I read that Luthor killed the kid in this one.
I suggested that as a theory in the speculation thread.
Planet-Man said:
No one agrees with you more than me on that one. This movie is supposed to introduce little kids to Superman, not traumatize them!
:roll: It was a goddam joke. It's funny because a dog would never eat another dog in real life.
Victor Von Doom said:
The kryptonite island thing didn't bother me that much. I looked at it the same as Moony. Supes "supercharged" himself right quick and then pushed his body to the limit in an extreme moment. Nothing more.
It should also be kept in mind that this is essentially the Donner Superman, which is essentially the Silver Age Superman. Silver Age Superman was always known (for better or worse) to be able to do incredible things if the occasion called for it.

Victor Von Doom said:
The dog thing was just funny. You're really not supposed to read that much into it. It meant about as much Luthor rolling his Rs in Kryptonite.
Didn't read these posts. Now I'm with VVD. Cuz if you ain't with VVD, you might as well be DDD.

Dead Dead Dead.

It was great. and I'm not a fan at all, very entertaining. Spacey was great and I was expecting alot less from Routh
tu.gif

two thing keeping me from giving it a 5

1. The kid I don't like where they are going with it at all.

2. This doesn't really have to do with the film itself but NOBODY realizing kent is supes................C'MON Lois and just about anybody who's friends with clark has to know

-Kent comes back...supes comes back
-A slightly changed hair due and glasses doesn't hide your identity

besides that
tu.gif

and if some people has said this already please forgive me I've not read through all the pages

Last edited:
moonmaster said:
It was a goddam joke. It's funny because a dog would never eat another dog in real life.

Little kids don't know that. That's my main point. A stupid joke like that isn't worth turning a bunch of little kids off of Superman. The idea of that makes me sad, because Superman is one of my absolute favourite things, and has been since I was like 3.

Planet-Man, I think you misunderstood. I have no problem with a pet of Lex Luthor going all cannible it's just that he ate the other dog and nothing came of it.

Another thing that bothered me was the fans reactions to the kid killing the henchmen. People kept saying there was nothing brought up after it. Did they even watch the same film? The kid (in the cutest saddest way possible) looks at Lois and says "I'm sorry" He was scared ****less. I almost cried.

I can buy the whole Superman rose to the occasion.

Slimjim... you can't put down reason #2. It's all part of the mythology in the superman world people are that naive. It's completely acceptable.

And another thing. The Score was perfect and the beginning credits will never be matched because despite how slightly disappointed I was at the whole movie, at the point of the opening credits the movie was completely perfect.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Another thing that bothered me was the fans reactions to the kid killing the henchmen. People kept saying there was nothing brought up after it. Did they even watch the same film? The kid (in the cutest saddest way possible) looks at Lois and says "I'm sorry" He was scared ****less. I almost cried.
What I didnt like about that scene was that Lois was helpless, she was a black belt I believe in the comics, and she even took out a mugger in Superman one

Random said:
What I didnt like about that scene was that Lois was helpless, she was a black belt I believe in the comics, and she even took out a mugger in Superman one

Damn, if she'd manhandled the Thug on top of walking off unhurt from the plane after having been banged around like broken doll, survived having an heavy pressure door slammed on her head and managed to fish out from the water a man twice her weight that had sunk at apparently at least 10 meter (despite being a smoker), I say give her her own comic book and have her fight super villains right ****in now.

Last edited:
Planet-man said:
Little kids don't know that. That's my main point. A stupid joke like that isn't worth turning a bunch of little kids off of Superman. The idea of that makes me sad, because Superman is one of my absolute favourite things, and has been since I was like 3.
A few months ago, my five-year-old cousin saw King Kong on DVD. He told me that his favorite part was the moment when King Kong tore the T. Rex's jaws apart and stuffed his skull back into his head.

Believe me, a passing, cynical joke isn't going to emotionally traumatize children and send them into spasms of fear whenever they hear someone even mention "Superman Returns".

So tomorrow I'm officially going to see it in IMAX 3D. It's gonna kick ***.

Saw it in IMAX 3D yesterday. Good stuff.

The only problem with the 3D is that it takes a few minutes to get used to, but once you do it's pretty good. The plane sequence is unbelievable in 3D. It's worth seeing it just for that.

Who the hell added that? "Superman" isn't even the title.:?

That list brings a funny story to mind. A few years ago some of the guys and I were going to see AVP. One of my friends couldn't come because even though he's a big fan of the Alien movies, he was going out with his girlfriend that night.

When we all got to the theatre, we ended up running into him in the ticket line. We said "Oh hey man, you came!" and he sighed with a depressed look and said "'Fraid not, the gf's actually meeting me here in a few minutes." Then he turned around to the ticket person and said "Two for The Notebook, please". And we all laughed and laughed as he bitterly watched us walk into the theatre showing AVP.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Well, they should have seen AvP... The greatest Love Story of our time.
AvP.jpg

Today I picked up Superman and Superman II on DVD. $5 each, great deal.

Baxter said:
Superman Returns dethrones the spider-man movies. Atleast to anyone who grew up watching the original movies on saturday afternoons at grandmas :D

Nope sorry. Spiderman 2 or possibly Batman Begins is still the greatest Superhero film. Superman Returns was watchable, but nothing special. Lex Luthor was brilliant, but I was very disappointed by the film overall.

I gotta agree with Baxter. I watch Spiderman 2 and I end up just jumping to certain scenes that I wanna watch and that's it. But I've seen Superman Returns like 5 times now and it just doesn't get old or boring. The time of the film doesn't bother me either. Batman Begins was great too....but I thought Superman was better.

I guess it all depends on which one you like better. To each his own.

I dont think Superman was better than Spidey 2 or Batman Begins but its like right beneath them, and I did grow up watching the movies on saturady mournings at grandma's

From CBR:

SUPERMAN RETURNS 2

Cinescape has an interesting rumor floating in from across the pond. Apparently, director Bryan Singer was at the UK premiere of the Routh-fueled blockbuster, and brought up his writing partners. One of them walked up to the mike and brought attention to what was written on the T-shirt he was wearing -- "Kneel before Zod." A "general" idea of what's planned for a sequel?

Meanwhile, Box Office Mojo lists the tally for the film at $163,648,000, compared to $231,802,193 for "X-Men 3" since its May 26th opening.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back