Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
Ice said:
From CBR:

SUPERMAN RETURNS 2

Cinescape has an interesting rumor floating in from across the pond. Apparently, director Bryan Singer was at the UK premiere of the Routh-fueled blockbuster, and brought up his writing partners. One of them walked up to the mike and brought attention to what was written on the T-shirt he was wearing -- "Kneel before Zod." A "general" idea of what's planned for a sequel?

Meanwhile, Box Office Mojo lists the tally for the film at $163,648,000, compared to $231,802,193 for "X-Men 3" since its May 26th opening.
...I so want that shirt

Baxter said:
...I so want that shirt

You and me both. I am now looking forward to Superman Returns' sequel more than anything else........................except for Punisher 2.

I actually have this tee at home.

Kneel_Before_Zod-T.jpg

Jude Law would be perfect for that role....if he adds on about 15-20 pounds.

Last edited:
Zod would be fine,...But I'd much prefer Brainiac.

This will also be released next week on DVD. 2-Disc Widescreen (my pick), one disc widescreen, one disc fullscreen, or 14 disc extravaganza with all the Superman films.

How about Zod, and his Kryptonian computer is brainiac?

Hmmm? HMMM?!

Or Brainiac is the artificial intelligence program created by STAR Labs to take control of the world's defenses and fight the kryptonian threat.

So my sister let it slip that the family was getting me the 14-Disc Collection for Christmas, so I held off on buying the Superman Returns DVD.

But I just had to see it again so I rented it and have watched it two nights in a row. I still LOVE it!

I still stand by my original statement that the film is absolutely amazing. It is. And to see it up close on my widescreen, in the comfort of my own home made it that much more better. Being able to pause, rewind, slo-mo certain scenes that you might've missed or wanted to examine further just enables me to indulge my glee even more.

Seriously. I love this movie. When you look past some of the obvious faults that only fanboys care about---it still stands as just a great movie.

I cannot wait for the sequel.

I bought the DVD a couple of days ago and it's better than I remembered it.

I still want the missing New Krypton scene though, which wasn't on the deleted scenes. Disappointing.

Saw it a second time, and I liked it so much more than I originally did.

That was the case with me too when I saw it again in theatres. I think it had to do with the fact that I wasn't shocked at how ridiculously bad some parts were(the Kryptonite island-lift being the prime example), so I could just enjoy the movie as a whole.

By the way, here's how the phone call I got last week went...

My dad: So I caved and bought Superman Returns today.

Me: Are you serious? You have to take it back, we're ordering the Ultimate Collector's Edition when Amazon gets more in January, remember?

My dad: Yeah, but I just can't wait any longer. We'll get the Ultimate Collector's Edition then, but in the meantime we can watch SR.

Me: Why didn't you just rent it? It must've been $30!

My dad: Well it came with some other discs.

Me: What else?

My dad: Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV....

Me: Wait, did you just buy it with the plain Chris Reeve set?

My dad: Pretty much, oh, except it also has Superman II: The Donner Cut, Look! Up In The Sky!, All the Fleishers, a disc of Singer's video journals...

Me: ...and by any chance did it come in a big metal case?

My dad: Yeah, and it says "14-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition on the side"

I love my dad. And we now own the last Ultimate Collector's Edition in the CITY.
:D :D :D

I saw Superman Returns for the 3rd time last night(and it's definitely a movie that gets better with repeated viewings) and since it was on DVD this time, I noticed something I hadn't before...

When Lex walks up to the Fortress control panel and it rises up to him, the crystals emerging as it does, in the center of the console there's another hole, similar to the ones the other crystals came out of, but empty. Later, when Superman enters to Fortress, the hole can be seen with all the other empty ones, and it looks identical to them.

Could this mean that there's another crystal that wasn't there when Lex was? Maybe Superman keeps it with him somewhere else? Maybe it's the "Father Crystal"?

I was pretty intirgued at this. Take a look for yourself, and discuss.

So I just finished watching all the special Singer features on the Superman Returns.

Really impressed with how they brought Brando back. I would have never guessed.

I was really hoping they'd show some of the other hopefuls they were thinking about casting as Clark. But oh well.

The more I see this stuff--the more I am impressed with how they captured Superman in flight. The slight variations Routh makes to his body as he changes directions. All of it is just really breathtaking from a film creator standpoint.

Singer did right on editing out some of the scenes. Certain scenes just didn't fit in with the movie pacing. I also liked how the addressed the kryptonite Island he threw into space. They mentioned how scientist say it's still leaving our galaxy and that it's still growing in size. When Perry asks what are they gonna call it....Lois says just call it "New Krypton". So there's open possibilities for that.

Another thing I always wondered---and this has nothing to do with the movie---but just Superman in general............we know he's bullet, fire, etc proof.....but how is his costume? What got me thinking this was in the film on the rooftop, where he is being shot at---the bullets just bounce off him. Now obviously this is a big duh....but I though his mom made the suit. Where in the hell did she find material that is impervious to damage? I know it's a stupid thing to wonder about---I just thought of that outta the blue.

The more I see this stuff--the more I am impressed with how they captured Superman in flight. The slight variations Routh makes to his body as he changes directions. All of it is just really breathtaking from a film creator standpoint.

I was impressed by that stuff too, but also disappointed, because there were so many screamingly obvious CGI shots in the film that resembled that exact live-action wirework....so why didn't they just use more of Routh himself instead of all that CGI?

Singer did right on editing out some of the scenes. Certain scenes just didn't fit in with the movie pacing. I also liked how the addressed the kryptonite Island he threw into space. They mentioned how scientist say it's still leaving our galaxy and that it's still growing in size. When Perry asks what are they gonna call it....Lois says just call it "New Krypton". So there's open possibilities for that.

I dunno, when I watched the deleted scenes me and my whole family said that they should've all been left in, especially the stuff back on the farm. It added some depth and characterization.

Another thing I always wondered---and this has nothing to do with the movie---but just Superman in general............we know he's bullet, fire, etc proof.....but how is his costume? What got me thinking this was in the film on the rooftop, where he is being shot at---the bullets just bounce off him. Now obviously this is a big duh....but I though his mom made the suit. Where in the hell did she find material that is impervious to damage? I know it's a stupid thing to wonder about---I just thought of that outta the blue.

In some comics it's protected by his "invincible energy aura" which extends a millimetre or two out from his skin. I think that's dumb, because his suit is obviously more that a few millimetres thick, especially the boots and belt.

The older and more classic explaination is that Martha Kent made it from the Kryptonian blankets he was wrapped in as a baby in the starship.

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend that I havent seen for a while and he mention Superman Returns and how much he loved it which shocked me. Because he's not that into comics, in fact the only knowledge he has pretty much comes from me. I'd thought he wouldnt like it cause its more of a character/love story/no big fight sequence kinda movie. But he really loved it. This shows me how good of a movie this is cause me and members on this bored may be bias or have the background to be able to enjoy it on different levels.

I was talking to a friend that I havent seen for a while and he mention Superman Returns and how much he loved it which shocked me. Because he's not that into comics, in fact the only knowledge he has pretty much comes from me. I'd thought he wouldnt like it cause its more of a character/love story/no big fight sequence kinda movie. But he really loved it. This shows me how good of a movie this is cause me and members on this bored may be bias or have the background to be able to enjoy it on different levels.

On the contrary, I don't know any non-Superman-fans in real life who thought it was anything better than okay.

Myself, on the other hand, thought it was only okay the first time I saw it, but with repeated viewings I've enjoyed it a lot more.

I watched it finally thanks to the boxset.

I'll admit it's better than 3 and 4 but only barely.

Now things I liked is This lex seemed closer to what Lex is in the comics I've read. Still not as good as smaville Lex he's better than original movie. Clark was not a comic relief like the first ones. And the cgi not the best but still pretty cool shame that IMO they built the film around it not the other way around.

Things I hated. This is a sequel to Superman I and II now its set in 2006 but clothes are like 80's style , The costume - the red looks brown alot and is just horrible , originals were in the late 70s-early 80s and no one has aged? if anything lois looks younger! Superman having a child lame story. And how the hell did he lift the island? It was filled with Kryptonite. Now you could say it was his Will that did it but come on. A little baseball sized Kryptonite kept him down in 1 until it was removed so a island full should of killed him or at least kept him down.

All in all this film was done horrible I normally do not give films this but this only gets 1 star. Overhyped piece of crap I'll never watch again. After hulk I thought they wouldn't make a modern superhero film that was this bad. I stand corrected

next time instead of a really bad sequel that makes NO sense just re-launch the franchise like they did with batman begins.

Last edited:
shame that IMO they built the film around it [the CGI] not the other way around.
The costume - the red looks brown alot and is just horrible
Superman having a child lame story. And how the hell did he lift the island? It was filled with Kryptonite. Now you could say it was his Will that did it but come on. A little baseball sized Kryptonite kept him down in 1 until it was removed so a island full should of killed him or at least kept him down.

I agree with the above statments 100%.

Last edited:
And how the hell did he lift the island? It was filled with Kryptonite. Now you could say it was his Will that did it but come on. A little baseball sized Kryptonite kept him down in 1 until it was removed so a island full should of killed him or at least kept him down.
I don't understand how people can't understand this.

Superman flies up above the clouds. Where he can get the full effect of a yellow sun as it's not blocked by clouds. You see him take a breath as a physical cue that he's absorbing as much power as possible. He then flies underneath the island, WHICH IS NOT MADE ENTIRELY OF KRYPTONITE and lifts it up.

Stop assuming it is. It's clear that the island is rock with traces of Kryptonite throughout.

So Superman at average power lifting an island made of all kryptonite is ridiculous. But that's not what happened here.

Latest posts

Back