Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
He then flies underneath the island, WHICH IS NOT MADE ENTIRELY OF KRYPTONITE and lifts it up.

Stop assuming it is. It's clear that the island is rock with traces of Kryptonite throughout.

Stop screaming at people without actually reading their posts.

sjmole never, ever said anything about it being made "entirely of Kryptonite". He said it was "filled with Kryptonite", which it clearly was. There were huge veins of Kryptonite running through the whole thing. It shows them right to us.

Also, when Superman is doing the actual lifting, there are a bunch of huge, 5-foot-long chunks of real, bright green Kryptonite literally inches away from his face. It's been established that much, much less than that can remove his powers in seconds, yet here he's maxing them out. There's no way you can justify that. It's a huge, honking, movie-ruining plot hole.

I don't understand how people can't understand this.

Superman flies up above the clouds. Where he can get the full effect of a yellow sun as it's not blocked by clouds. You see him take a breath as a physical cue that he's absorbing as much power as possible. He then flies underneath the island, WHICH IS NOT MADE ENTIRELY OF KRYPTONITE and lifts it up.

Stop assuming it is. It's clear that the island is rock with traces of Kryptonite throughout.

So Superman at average power lifting an island made of all kryptonite is ridiculous. But that's not what happened here.

yes but it was like it didn't effect him until he let go.

He may be at full power but still has the weakness because the he powered up on sun thing means OK i'll say for arguments sake that he was at full power thanks to the sun so there for he could.

but then that raises the question of then why did he faint in space. Space is closer to the sun so surely he would of powered up even more?

There were huge veins of Kryptonite running through the whole thing. It shows them right to us.

Also, when Superman is doing the actual lifting, there are a bunch of huge, 5-foot-long chunks of real, bright green Kryptonite literally inches away from his face. It's been established that much, much less than that can remove his powers in seconds, yet here he's maxing them out. There's no way you can justify that. It's a huge, honking, movie-ruining plot hole.

thank you! you agree

Last edited:
Stop screaming at people without actually reading their posts.

sjmole never, ever said anything about it being made "entirely of Kryptonite". He said it was "filled with Kryptonite", which it clearly was. There were huge veins of Kryptonite running through the whole thing. It shows them right to us.

I'm not screaming at anyone. No seriously, I am not screaming at anyone. I'm not just saying it because I feel embarassed to be called out on it. I'm sick of the general reactions to my posts. I Capitalized and underlined to make the point valid.

It's a mixture of being Superman and adreneline pure and simple. His powers were maxed and he used every ounce of his energy to the point where he fainted. How many times has he fainted? And people say there were no consequences?

sjmole said:
but then that raises the question of then why did he faint in space. Space is closer to the sun so surely he would of powered up even more?
Because it's not an issue at that point if he's powered up or not. He's physically exhausted. It's not like he lost his powers when he let go of the island, he was able to crash to earth without a scratch on him. They're two different things you're thinking about.

And sorry if you took my post the wrong way.

Because it's not an issue at that point if he's powered up or not. He's physically exhausted. It's not like he lost his powers when he let go of the island, he was able to crash to earth without a scratch on him. They're two different things you're thinking about.

And sorry if you took my post the wrong way.

I didn't take it the wrong way dude.

Would that be another **** up because they took out small parts of kryptonite from him so should of died or at least been very very messed up when he hit the floor.?

How the **** does Kryptonite work?

like in superman I and II , the animated series , smallville , lois and clark the comics and every other NON-Superman returns superman stories :lol:

it should of drained him of his powers but it didn't

I think Superman Returns could have been perfect if it was a reboot instead of another sequel.

I think Superman Returns could have been perfect if it was a reboot instead of another sequel.

Yeah alot of ****-ups would be erased and they could of done the best to make it a great film and more like comics.

I choose to ignore the sequel aspect and look at it as a reboot....only with past already built into it.

I throw out the movie continuity and replace it with general Superman lore. I know it sounds stupid---but it makes sense to me.

The fact that the plot mirrored Donner's film doesn't bother me. It's still just a great film.

MWOF sums up my view of the island thing too. It was just a representation of Superman pushing himself to the limits and displaying superhuman (even for him) strength in a time of desperation. You hear about it on the news all the time about a mother who'll rip the car door off the hinges to save her baby trapped inside. Normal fathers lifting stuff that they couldn't normally lift in order to save their child trapped underneath. This was no different.

You hear about it on the news all the time about a mother who'll rip the car door off the hinges to save her baby trapped inside. Normal fathers lifting stuff that they couldn't normally lift in order to save their child trapped underneath. This was no different.

Except Kryptonite makes him like 10x weaker than a human. It would be like a normal human injected with a drug to make them not even be able to walk suddenly lifting a mountain. It just makes no sense.

But it's cool that you liked it.

Superman lifted up an island which had some Kryptonite in it. Alright.

He went back in time by flying around the planet. He made Lois forget his identity with some telepathic kiss. I believe those two are both worse.

He went back in time by flying around the planet. He made Lois forget his identity with some telepathic kiss. I believe those two are both worse.

yes but it was not shown that he COULDN'T do those things. Maybe silly but they didn't have a scene where they said "You can not reverse time by flying around the planet" like they did with "near kryptonte he's powerless" type thing

plus it wasn't some it was ALOT

Last edited:
But like MWoF said: he absorbed quite a lot of the solar rays, which made him invincible for a few moments, and gave him enough strength to throw the island into space.

BINGO!

I don't see how people can cry bloody murder when he lifts an island with some Kryptonite......but let brainwash Lois with a kiss or have him reverse time by flying around the world really fast and their like "Ok...I can dig it."

But like MWoF said: he absorbed quite a lot of the solar rays, which made him invincible for a few moments, and gave him enough strength to throw the island into space.

and that answer lead to the whole but if he still had Kryptonite in him when lex stabbed him (they pulled it out of same spot) why was he not hurt from fall? and why could he fly up to get solar energy?

The solar power would of given him a boost I can admit that but Kryptotite still would of effected him too much.

This film basically ignores that kryptonite effects him. expect for one tiny scene. and even if Ignore the kryptonite flaw there are too many goofs to make it a good film yes about 80% = because it's a sequel but the other 20% of goofs are too in your face.

Now i can see that alot of people here like this and that's cool. I just think it's a horrible movie that says it all when the best thing about it is the cgi. cgi enhances a movie it is not the movie and the person who made it should be ashamed.

BINGO!

I don't see how people can cry bloody murder when he lifts an island with some Kryptonite......but let brainwash Lois with a kiss or have him reverse time by flying around the world really fast and their like "Ok...I can dig it."

because those are 2 little scenes that are in a great film. Superman I + II are the best made superhero movies ever.

Latest posts

Back