Superman: Secret Origin Discussion *Spoilers*

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
By far my favorite book to come out this week... Having just read John Byrne's take on the Superman origin and Mark Waid's Birthright in the last couple of months, I have to say that this little book might be giving them both a run for their money. Gary Frank's art is fantastic, and I love the tone... Can't wait to see the rest of this series...

I've been waiting for this and it didn't disappoint. I love Geoff Johns and Gary Frank has become a fantastic artist.

I don't think I've heard about this - this is another origin story? What has changed since Man of Steel that they have to do that?

Bottle City of Kandor back in continuity... Kryptonians can feel emotions... It was a rocket, not a birthing matrix... Superboy meeting the Legion of Super-Heroes is back in continuity... And Lex Luthor grew up in Smallville.

There's a good deal that MoS didn't address, that this seems to be covering well.

And it's Geoff Johns, so I presume he'll be adding his own things that may come into play later on, just like the Secret Origin arc in Green Lantern.

I forgot Krypto! Krypto is from Krypton again. I can't wait for some awesome Krypto action because Krypto is the best fictional dog ever.

I think a better question is "What has changed since Birthright that requires that?".

The fact that nobody has used anything built off it since it was written?

I'm a big fan of Birthright, but it was pretty clear that they were ignoring it

This was a story about Superman's Origin, which is something I shouldn't care about reading but I'll be damned if the first chapter wasn't fun.

It was okay...

Yeah.

There wasn't really much new stuff in it and a lot of it was just referencing stuff that Johns has already mentioned in passing dialogue in other stories (Clark breaking Pete's arm, for example).

Also, no matter how awesome Johns is, I will never be happy about him bringing Clark-as-Superboy back. It's silly and it takes away from the dramatic impact of Superman-as-an-adult. Even if he only works with the Legion secretly, it cheapens Superman's eventual reveal.

I'm not too fond of Luthor the alien-conspiracist-from-Smallville either, but that's a lost cause.

It was pretty good though and I'll keep reading.

Also, no matter how awesome Johns is, I will never be happy about him bringing Clark-as-Superboy back. It's silly and it takes away from the dramatic impact of Superman-as-an-adult. Even if he only works with the Legion secretly, it cheapens Superman's eventual reveal.

I don't want to judge it without actually reading it, but this is exactly what I was thinking, for the same reasons and everything.

The whole thing being hyped as a "definitive" Superman origin when it includes Superboy and LoSH seems silly to me.

I think in a way, that this origin is shaping out to be the best possible 'compromise' origin for Superman, rather than the 'definitive' origin. It basically has all of the most popular elements. The only problem is that a lot of people don't like those elements, either (Superboy, Krypto, etc).

I wish Geoff Johns would write a Teen Titans Secret Origin. I know they did a Teen Titans Year One, but that was very childish.

he seems to like writing secret origin stories, and none of his stuff is bad, even if you don't love all of it.

That's all, back to Superman.

I liked this. It is fun. And while I like Gary Frank's art, he draws some funky a** looking people. The giant horse teeth are just too much. And some of the expressions...at a couple points in the book I found myself actually laughing at some of the silly expressions. (like Clarks' face when he is telling Pa how he saved Lana)

And the de-aged Chris Reeves he is basing Clark on....just plain creepy and it really doesn't look right.

I wish Geoff Johns would write a Teen Titans Secret Origin. I know they did a Teen Titans Year One, but that was very childish.

he seems to like writing secret origin stories, and none of his stuff is bad, even if you don't love all of it.

That's all, back to Superman.

I just want him back writing Teen Titans again.

I liked this. It is fun. And while I like Gary Frank's art, he draws some funky a** looking people. The giant horse teeth are just too much. And some of the expressions...at a couple points in the book I found myself actually laughing at some of the silly expressions. (like Clarks' face when he is telling Pa how he saved Lana)

that expression may look funny to you, but it was based on the expression on watcher's face when he talks about saving Kristen Kreuk.

Latest posts

Back