Supreme Power (and Squadron Supreme)

Re: Supreme Power

(****, that guy never gets to finish his comics)

I don't know if he is done working for Marvel, but if I were him I would be. They might have been diplomatic about it but they treated him with complete disrespect.

Yeah, I doubt he's going to work for Marvel again. His current DC work is very poor though.

Yeah, I doubt he's going to work for Marvel again. His current DC work is very poor though.

People seem to like his work on Brave and the Bold, but yeah, reaction to everything else has been mixed at best. I'm reading his Wonder Woman. It's okay.

I don't know if there is a better thread than this for this, but I just finished re-reading the original Mark Gruenwald Squadron Supreme series. I haven't read it in a few years.

It's...worse than I remember it being. The overall concept of super powered beings reshaping society and government is good (and predates Miracleman if I'm not mistaken), but the execution is terrible. I mean, really, really terrible. It's full of really bad comic book science crap like a machine that modifies a person's behavior by putting a bowl on their head, or a guy who can leech energy absorbing someone's ability to fly by touching their wings, as if the wings were magic or something. I really, really hate bad comic book science.

Why invent a machine like that which works by putting a bowl over their head? It's embarrassingly stupid; something I would have come up with in 1st grade. You've got all of these powered beings; why not just give one of them the ability to read or modify their minds like Charles Xavier?

It's an 80s comic so you get what you get, but it's still frustrating to see what was at the time a high and original concept executed so poorly.

I think you're being a bit harsh. I agree with what you said but not with the level of disdain you have. Content is important, and I wish more big comic events were as original as this. Everyone has been ripping this off for thirty years and all that's changed is that the story is either the same or worse, it's only been *told* better.

Latest posts

Back