Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / 2007 (Spoilers)

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / 2007

Oh man, I hope that didn't come off as snotty. I didnt mean to sound like that to you.

Sometimes it's hard to tell, but no, I didn't take it that way. :wink:

Y'know, I thought they were aiming for a darker, more adult TMNT.

Why would they do that? It'd be the first nail in the coffin. You have to understand that the TMNT will now and forever be known as a license for kids (with the exception of some of the Mirage comics). The original TV show, the new TV show, the toys, video games, original movies, etc all set this tone.

Realistically, it wouldn't make sense financially to release a TMNT movie for adults (PG-13 or R). Not many would go and see it, honestly. Therefore, the movie wouldn't make any money, and would have been the exact opposite outcome they wanted.

So, again, its mainly marketed towards kids. The kids, in turn, drag their parents to see it (cuz they're usually too young to go alone), meaning that at least two tickets (one child, one adult) must be bought for each kid who wants to see it (the other for their parent who probably doesn't want to).

Thats my theory anyway.

So what is it then? Just another sequel years after the last film?

Yeah, thats exactly what it is. Hence Shredder not being in this move, cuz he's dead (end of TMNT 2). Which might not make sense to you, but don't forget that in the comic continuity Shredder died early on, was resurrected, then killed off again, all early into the TMNT comic history. Ever since its been just random other villains (Karai - Shredder's daughter, etc). Thats not to say it'll work here, however.

Even if it's not officially a reboot the movie should be geared towards making the TMNT popular again and not just among people who still watch cartoons. They ****ed this up already.

I think thats still the idea. However, they went the "safe" route and still aimed it at kids, I believe.

from they said in interviews ect.. It's a sequel to films.

either a) set after 3
or
b) replaces 3 like Superman returns replaces 2+4

Exactly. Though unlike with the Superman Returns movie replacing 2-4, this one can still include TMNT 3 as there aren't any continuity issues.

Really? Hmm. Wonder why they dont put sequel as part of the genre, as Ive seen for other sequel films.

I'm not so sure about this as a sequel to the films. They had a tone to them that worked. This seems more like something that would be better off following the show instead of the films.

Maybe in some respects, but not in others. While this movie appears to have alien demons or something in it, the show is way, way, way more over-the-top and ridiculous.

I'm not asking you directly Ice. I'm saying why the hell would they make a TMNT movie when the main audience who would be looking forward to the film are now in their early 20's. Making a TMNT movie to put in theaters for kids is a bad move. Give them pokemon movies or something. Young Adults want to see Turtles too. So why **** them over?

Because they're trying to get a new generation of kids interested in the TMNT. Adults are rarely the ones who go out and buy the toys and related merchandise, but kids are.

Its a business, man. They're trying to make as much money as possible. Hence what I said above.

And I'm sorry, but there's no question that a TMNT movie (and associated merchandise) aimed at kids versus adults will do much better financially, for the reasons I listed already.

My son will want to see it, so depending on what it's rated I'll take him. But other than that I couldn't care less either.

Thank you, E, you just proved one of my points for me.

Last edited:

Exactly. Though unlike with the Superman Returns movie replacing 2-4, this one can still include TMNT 3 as there aren't any continuity issues.

superman returns replaces 2?

i thought it was just 3-4. the second one is the best one why would they do that?

i thought it was just 3-4. the second one is the best one why would they do that?

No, it only replaces 3 and 4.

Im gonna wach ..but becouse of the old cartoon not this crappy new one...man i remember i would ask my dad for a bunch of TMNT i still have the around.

Im sure some of the guys who grew up seeing it too will want to see it too...just like the guy's who grew up seeing Trasnformers will go see the Trasformers one.

Piss that shreder isnt in this one...i love that guy.

and im guessing there is not chance that Bebop and Rocksteady will be in it huh?

Why would they do that? It'd be the first nail in the coffin. You have to understand that the TMNT will now and forever be known as a license for kids (with the exception of some of the Mirage comics). The original TV show, the new TV show, the toys, video games, original movies, etc all set this tone.

It's not what I thought, it's that every time I read an article having to do with the film, I always see the same quote from the director/producer/whoever where they say just that: that even though it's a CGI film, they're trying to make it darker, less of a 'kids' movie.

It's not what I thought, it's that every time I read an article having to do with the film, I always see the same quote from the director/producer/whoever where they say just that: that even though it's a CGI film, they're trying to make it darker, less of a 'kids' movie.

Wich isorprising since originaly it was dark.

Besdies most fans of the original cartoons are adults or or in colledge

welll im waching it either way

Yeah, I'll definately go see it. I grew up with TMNT and I still love them even though I followed their last bunch of incarnations. I had all the toys, though, back in the day. I remember going into Toys R Us and seeing them for the first time, I was so excited. Heck, even my mom was excited because she knew how much I loved the Turtles. I came home with a Donatello.

I have no idea what your talking about, so I'll disagree

I'm onto you, Houdey--you gender mystery, you.

I don't know. I pulled that out of my ***. Probably not.

No, it only replaces 3 and 4.

See?

Oh. They're full of ****, then. Unless by darker they only mean "more shadows".

The original TMNT movie was fairly dark, or at least moreso than the cartoon and Archie comic (which was awesome!). I think you can kind of push the limits a little more with kids' movies and still keep them safe for the little ones. Even Disney is putting out PG rated cartoons these days.

Last edited:

The original TMNT movie was fairly dark, or at least moreso than the cartoon and Archie comic (which was awesome!). I think you can kind of push the limits a little more with kids' movies and still keep them safe for the little ones. Even Disney is putting out PG rated cartoons these days.

But a PG rated Disney cartoon by no means qualifies as "dark". Maybe moreso than Snow White or The Jungle Book, but that isn't saying much.

Not to say this won't be so, but the trailer leaves a lot lacking in that respect.

Meh. I was never anything more than a casual fan of TMNT, so I was wondering whether I should have checked it out or not. From the looks of the teaser, it seemed good. From the full trailer... not as much. It seems more like the generic kids stuff that have been coming out lately. Why must all the jokes in every kids show/movie be exactly the same and not funny in the first place? (I blame SpongeBob!) Please tell me there's going to be more Pixar movies, they actually have individual personalities.

But the CGI animation looks pretty good. *thumbs up*

Last edited:

Since I was like, 8, I did like Mask, Thundercat, Heatchcliff.
Am I the only one who thinks Heathcliff is an *******?

Also, I don't understand how 'for the kids' and 'PG-rated grim and grittiness' are supposed to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Also, I don't understand how 'for the kids' and 'PG-rated grim and grittiness' are supposed to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Thats only because while the rest of us were watching Sesame Street, The Muppets, and Saturday morning cartoons, you grew up on a steady diet of bukkake and nipple torture videos.

Actually, a lot of the G-rated Disney movies are darker than anything PG-rated these days would be. Sleeping Beauty (my favorite Disney movie) alone ends in a violent and bloody sword battle with a dragon. And of course Fantasia is enough to give one nightmares.

Latest posts

Back