That Thread About Work: "Custom kitchen deliveries...!"

Maybe they have an elastic definition of 'write'.

"I saw him type it out, so he must have written it!!!"

Incidentally, how do these situations usually end?

Usually? With the administration/department chair supporting me and the student getting a 0 and an administrative detention. If the parent screams loud enough? The kid gets a chance to redo the paper because the administration tells me to give them a chance to redo the paper.

I know that it's a job like mine that can lead to situations like these.

I originally started my post with some choice words towards you and your profession. Then I realized I was being a complete ***-wipe and that I would be no better than people who get mad at gun companies for making guns. Really, I'm just mad at the people who use the guns to kill people.

Incidentally, ShaggyMarco, have you ever encountered a situation where a person plagiarized a paper that doesn't even have anything to do with what you asked them to write?

I had a student last year who pretty much turned nothing in all year long. He came to me, near in tears, with a sob story about how he needed to graduate and that he'd get the papers to me soon. It was the last day of school. I told him I'd look at whatever he turned into me.

He e-mailed me a bunch of stuff. One of them was an analytical essay on Beowulf. I never assigned an analytical essay on Beowulf. They were supposed to write their own Epic Poem...but never an analytical essay.

This made me very suspicious, so I proceeded to google every essay he turned into me, found they all came from the same webpage, and then I sent him an e-mail about how offended I was that I would give him a last chance one-shot to pass, would stay late on my LAST DAY OF WORK for the year to grade his papers, and then all he would turn in would be copy-paste work that wasn't even answering the assignment!

So yes, that has happened.

I hate how someone who you are training thinks that you are friends, and constantly asks you to hang out.

Then sits in your cubicle, and stares at you.

He's doing it right now.

WTF?

You wanna know the reason why diseases never get cured? Cause the scientists behind them suck complete ***.

Case in point.

Not to belittle this person, considering she is only one a huge group of people, but people who act like her are what slow down scientific research. Some guy somewhere found an alternative method to loading Affymetrix chips. It's suppose to be cheaper, and easier to do. Great.

But it's not feasible.

The average DNA sample we start with is 250ng in 5 ul, or 50ng/ul. Nanograms is ****ing small for all you ******* English Standard users. Seriously? Grow a ****ing pair and use the damn the metric system.

Anyways, 50ng/ul is completely feasible in a research assignment. It's easy to PCR up too, requiring in most cases, one simple PCR reaction.

Malaria, who this person works for, wants to try out this new protocol. All well and dandy, but I look at the beginning amount of DNA in this reaction.

It calls for 100ug, or micrograms for the ****tards in our audience, which is completely infeasible for a research setting. It requires at least 70 PCR reactions to get the correct amount. But, Malaria DNA tends to be easily corruptible, and every time you PCR it, you need to run half of it in a Real Time PCR machine to make sure it didn't bind with other DNA in the air. If it does, then BAM! your back at square one, which is draining the poor soul for more DNA in his blood.

I mention this. They counter saying that there is an agency who mass produces DNA, and they will get some from there. I counter with the fact there are rareforms that this will not work for. Why spend time pursuing something that will not work with all the forms.

"Cause it's not our problem."

That's what they told me.

It's not their problem.

I got up and left the meeting. I had too. I was going to flip out on them. You only care about a form of Malaria that a facility mass produces for you. That's three Strains, there is 70 different strains of Malaria out there.

What.

The.

I hate this business I'm in.

Usually? With the administration/department chair supporting me and the student getting a 0 and an administrative detention. If the parent screams loud enough? The kid gets a chance to redo the paper because the administration tells me to give them a chance to redo the paper.

Parents are ruining schools.

I had a student last year who pretty much turned nothing in all year long. He came to me, near in tears, with a sob story about how he needed to graduate and that he'd get the papers to me soon. It was the last day of school. I told him I'd look at whatever he turned into me.

He e-mailed me a bunch of stuff. One of them was an analytical essay on Beowulf. I never assigned an analytical essay on Beowulf. They were supposed to write their own Epic Poem...but never an analytical essay.

This made me very suspicious, so I proceeded to google every essay he turned into me, found they all came from the same webpage, and then I sent him an e-mail about how offended I was that I would give him a last chance one-shot to pass, would stay late on my LAST DAY OF WORK for the year to grade his papers, and then all he would turn in would be copy-paste work that wasn't even answering the assignment!

So yes, that has happened.

I'm surprised you didn't get fired for that e-mail.

The administration is usually pretty good at supporting the teachers and my department head is amazing at it. That's important because I live in a very litigation-happy area. (Ban Harry Potter Mom=my school district)

I was VERY careful not to get mad in the e-mail I sent the student, just to let him know how unacceptable his behavior was, how I took it personally, and how his chances where gone.

Also, I think I let him know I was doing him a favor by not reporting it. That way he only earns himself a failing grade, not a failing grade and 4 adminstrative detentions.

Plus, the kid was a football player. I say was because he didn't get to play in the playoffs that year due to my class and another class. He got to stand on the sidelines in no pads and watch his teammates (tie) for the State Championships. I got to point to him and tell my family, "See that kid, he failed my class and now he only gets to watch his team win (tie) state. ***."

He pulled similar crap the next semester and is gracing the school again this year.

Funny side-note: I had his younger brother the very next semester. He turned everything in on time and either never plagurized anything, or was so good at it I never caught him. Model student.

Last edited:
Parents are ruining schools.

Yes. But it's a love-hate relationship. Parents who support us as educators, trust our professional judgement, and take a constructive support role in a student's education make my job easy, fun, and doable. More parents like that and American education would instantly improve. This parent is an all-too-rare and valuable resource.

Parents who think I'm just a hack who couldn't make it at a "real job," and are more interested in making sure their little darling has all of the newest hawtest stuff, including the best colleges and therefore the highest GPAs and like to blame everyone excpt their own hellspawn for the little brat's problems are the bane of my existence. Unfortunately, in many places, these are the loudest, most noticable parents--but in my experience, they are not the majority either.

The majority stay silent until there is a serious problem, obsess until the problem is solved, and then silently fade away from their child's school life once again. They honestly want what is best for their child and respect that, when it comes to educating them in English, I might have some kind of idea what that is.

You wanna know the reason why diseases never get cured? Cause the scientists behind them suck complete ***.

Case in point.

Not to belittle this person, considering she is only one a huge group of people, but people who act like her are what slow down scientific research. Some guy somewhere found an alternative method to loading Affymetrix chips. It's suppose to be cheaper, and easier to do. Great.

But it's not feasible.

The average DNA sample we start with is 250ng in 5 ul, or 50ng/ul. Nanograms is ****ing small for all you ******* English Standard users. Seriously? Grow a ****ing pair and use the damn the metric system.

Anyways, 50ng/ul is completely feasible in a research assignment. It's easy to PCR up too, requiring in most cases, one simple PCR reaction.

Malaria, who this person works for, wants to try out this new protocol. All well and dandy, but I look at the beginning amount of DNA in this reaction.

It calls for 100ug, or micrograms for the ****tards in our audience, which is completely infeasible for a research setting. It requires at least 70 PCR reactions to get the correct amount. But, Malaria DNA tends to be easily corruptible, and every time you PCR it, you need to run half of it in a Real Time PCR machine to make sure it didn't bind with other DNA in the air. If it does, then BAM! your back at square one, which is draining the poor soul for more DNA in his blood.

I mention this. They counter saying that there is an agency who mass produces DNA, and they will get some from there. I counter with the fact there are rareforms that this will not work for. Why spend time pursuing something that will not work with all the forms.

It's not their problem.

I got up and left the meeting. I had too. I was going to flip out on them. You only care about a form of Malaria that a facility mass produces for you. That's three Strains, there is 70 different strains of Malaria out there.

What.

The.

OMG I'm with you. I hate when that happens.

I have been recombinatering DNAs in my spare time and when stuff like this happens it makes me not want to do it any more. I was almost clsoe to a cure for broken DNAs but now I have to recombinatify all of my datas again.

I have been recombinatering DNAs in my spare time and when stuff like this happens it makes me not want to do it any more. I was almost clsoe to a cure for broken DNAs but now I have to recombinatify all of my datas again.

I will hurt you.

In Chicago.

WIZARD WORLD!

Case in point.

But it's not feasible.

It's not their problem.

What.

The.

I swipe cards through a machine and make sure anyone with alcohol is 21 or over. That's all I do. At least your job has the potential to have meaning or make a difference.

Completely gobsmacked.

I'm a full time student, and I was recently asked by a pro-comic artist to be his full time colorist...

Even though he claims I'm as good as him (and he BSes me that I could be better), as a penciller, this is still my foot in the door.

I'm just overwhelmed by the gravity of this request... I can't think straight.

Do it. Do it and let us know who. Then hook me up. I mean us up. Yes. Us.

We have off-topic threads, and social threads but I can never really tell where to post about work, so I figured we should have a thread devote entirely to our day jobs: complaining, telling stories, etc.

Right now, I just found the most awesome order at work today:I'll make a safe bet and say that the client has never ever visited Ultimate Central.

Where do you work and who do I have to kill to get a job there?

Oh, and nice Dire Straights reference in the title.

Last edited:

I swipe cards through a machine and make sure anyone with alcohol is 21 or over. That's all I do. At least your job has the potential to have meaning or make a difference.

McCheese is right. He contributes nothing to this world.

Case in point.

But it's not feasible.

It's not their problem.

What.

The.

I wish I could someday post a long complaint about my crazy, complex job and make everyone feel dumb.

When I work at the Magic factory.

I shall make the Magixx all day.

All day long.
The majority stay silent until there is a serious problem, obsess until the problem is solved, and then silently fade away from their child's school life once again. They honestly want what is best for their child and respect that, when it comes to educating them in English, I might have some kind of idea what that is.
Yep, that's my parents.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
McCheese is right. He contributes nothing to this world.
TERMINATE HIM!!

McCHEESE DEPRESSES ME!

TERMINATE HIM!!

The intention was not to make people feel dumb.

The intention was to vent. I've had a bad day.

*******s.

And E, kudos to the spelling error.

Asshat.

McCheese.

Make me some pizza.

Latest posts

Back