The All-About Books thread

Re: Your book forum has arrived

Thanks, E. This is great.

Should we have "All About [Genre] Thread"s? I actually disapprove of the All About threads because I think good discussion gets lost too quickly, but they would be good for a "Hey, does anyone else read this? You do? Okay, I'll make a thread for it." post.

Yeah, it's actually a good gauge of if something is popular enough for it's own forum. It's kind of how we got the Movie and TV forums. It's not really necessary once the forum is in place.

Yeah, it's actually a good gauge of if something is popular enough for it's own forum. It's kind of how we got the Movie and TV forums. It's not really necessary once the forum is in place.

I feel like it might be good to have a thread we can generally banter in about books in general without any particular topic, though.

I think it would be cool if we had like a book club thing too. Like if a load of us read the same book at the same time and we could talk about it afters.

Thanks for the Forum E

Last edited:

I think this is the only forum I will post in now.

Here it is, you whiners.

:D

PS - Mods, please move any book discussion threads to this forum. I'll get the ones I see but I'm sure I will miss some.

I actually missed this until well after I first signed on today. We actually got a book forum out of all this? We predicted the possibility early on, but wow......:lol:

Anyway, awesome, and I'm glad to see it's taking off.

Only to be taken away in 24 hours!

Jokes on you, well-meaning suckers!

Now THAT would've been something.:lol::lol::lol:

[/mole]

I actually missed this until well after I first signed on today. We actually got a book forum out of all this?

It didn't really have anything to do with anything. I had been meaning to do it, Doc mentioned it and reminded me, and I made it.

It didn't really have anything to do with anything. I had been meaning to do it, Doc mentioned it and reminded me, and I made it.

You should of told me that it was because of me.

Than people would like me again.

You should of told me that it was because of me.

Than people would like me again.

TOG told me the other day that I was going to create a book forum. Obviously I had no choice.

Re: The All-about books thread.

Has anyone here read any 'cyberpunk' books?

I know I could go online to see what books fall under the scifi genre, but what I want to know who has read books from there and what would be recommended.

I've heard Snow Crash is great.

Last edited:

Ourchair would recommend William Gibson.

I've started Snow Crash but I think I'm going to have to wait until I have more free time - it's very dense.

I've recently read The End of the Century by Chris Robertson.

It's an interesting read. Three interlocking stories, one set in Arthur times, one described as a gaslamp mystery, set in the late 1800s, and one set in modern times.

The way the story is told, one chapter per story, then revolving around equally, it's not bad, though the gaslamp mystery one is hella dense as all the facts are there, which slows down the action from the previous.

Has anyone here read any 'cyberpunk' books?

I know I could go online to see what books fall under the scifi genre, but what I want to know who has read books from there and what would be recommended.
I've read Neuromancer, by William Gibson, which I think is considered the first "official" cyberpunk novel. It was.... okay. It helps if you like the sub-genre, which I really don't. I've also read Snow Crash, which had some good parts and some not-so-good parts. (Both of these were selections for a science fiction book discussion group, and not something I normally would have picked up on my own.)

You might also want to try the graphic novel Kimmie66, by Aaron Alexovich. This was one of DC Comic's "Minx series" and therefore aimed at girls, but it does involve heavy online role-playing and world building, plus a mystery in cyberspace.

In response to Houde's post: I just borrowed The End of the Century from one of our local library branches, and it's next on my "To Read" list, after I finish Too Many Curses, by A. Lee Martinez.

Last edited:
I watched the The Lightning Thief last night and liked the movie, but I wanted to know if anyone had read the books?

Latest posts

Back