The All-About Books thread

I had a chance to read the whole series at work over the weekend

This was a VERY enjoyable read, some parts were predictable to me, but I still wanted to know how they played out. The storyline was executed very well, putting everything together in the end. I have no real complaints about this series.

if you get the chance, i would recommend reading it.

the 3rd book is one of my favorites. and the ending of the 4th.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a very good series, and while there are similarities between it and the Harry Potter books, Riordan's series stands well on its own. One of the best features of The Lightning Thief is that kids read it and then want to track down and read the Greek myths (and sometimes other mythologies as well. I had a kid at Barnes and Noble ask me for the Prose Edda, which is a writing of some of the Norse hero stories and myths).

If you haven't read the books, you can still follow the movie pretty well. The script writer did leave out what I thought was a pretty major plot point in the book, but it would be possible to insert it into the second movie if they continue filming the rest of the series.

I have Joe Hill's Horns. Excellent.

Just finished McCarthy's The Road. It's not usually my style of reading but it was still rather good and a nice change of pace from the kind of lit I normally read.

Now I'm re-reading The Sound and the Fury. Just finished Benjy's section and in Quentin's now. I love this kid.

I loved The Road. The pure emotion of the story got me through McCarthy's unusual style.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into Blood Meridian. :(

I loved The Road. The pure emotion of the story got me through McCarthy's unusual style.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into Blood Meridian. :(

The ending kind of struck me as sudden and a little too abruptly cute a way to tie things up. but.... That last paragraph was spectacular enough to make up for any doubts I had about it.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a very good series, and while there are similarities between it and the Harry Potter books, Riordan's series stands well on its own. One of the best features of The Lightning Thief is that kids read it and then want to track down and read the Greek myths (and sometimes other mythologies as well. I had a kid at Barnes and Noble ask me for the Prose Edda, which is a writing of some of the Norse hero stories and myths).

If you haven't read the books, you can still follow the movie pretty well. The script writer did leave out what I thought was a pretty major plot point in the book, but it would be possible to insert it into the second movie if they continue filming the rest of the series.

are you referring to the ares plotline?

Re: Your book forum has arrived

Finished Good Omens and am currently reading Snow Crash. I may drop it. Like Proj said, it's very dense.

I'm seriously considering Les Miserables. For any of you who have read it, would you suggest the abridged or unabridged version?

I'm currently on the last one, and I'm pretty sure she's talking about the Kronos plotline.

but the kronos plot line can be brought up in the next book pretty easy, with Luke admitting there was a power higher than him at work and that power was Kronos

they also missed out of Clarisse La Rue

and your thoughts so far on the book?

That's why she mentioned it would b easily written in the second movie.

The books themselves I am finding to be quick reads, then again I tend to read anything new quickly, so it could just be me. It's pretty easy to guess what is coming next for the most part.

Nico is my favorite.

they are quick reads, i finished them over a single weekend, while working.

i liked Zoë Nightshade, there was just something about her i liked.

Please tell me that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is as awesome as it sounds.

I'm reading 'Dune' for the third time because I realized that I'd forgotten what all of Frank Herbert's made-up words actually mean. Also planning a reread of Dostoevsky's body of work, sans 'Crime and Punishment' and 'The Brothers Karmazov' (which I basically have memorized at this point). I really want to try to get into Sci Fi, though. And, I don't just mean reading Slaughterhouse-Five over and over again. I'm familiar with some of the bigger names (Asimov, Herbert, Vonnegut, etc.), but I'd like to read something more niche. I hear that Moorcock's fantastic. Apparently, some of the Science Fiction that J.R.R. Martin wrote before 'A Game of Thrones' is pretty good too. Anyone have an opinion?

Also, I've been reading a lot of books about human function, psychology in particular. Crossed 'How The Mind Works' and 'The Blank Slate' by Steven Pinker off the list recently, and plan on consuming everything else the man's ever written. He's brilliant. I read 'The Blind Watchmaker' by Dawkins as well (which is sort of tangential from this topic), which manages to be a middle ground between the intrigue of 'The Selfish Gene' and the obnoxious, misguided posturing in 'The God Delusion'. 'The Red Queen' and 'Nature via Nurture' by Matt Ridley are on my list, along with 'Human' by Michael Gazzaniga, 'Nonzero' by Robert Wright, and probably something by Pascal Boyer (though I haven't decided what yet). It's a really dense subject, and proving tough to properly educate myself on (since my courses in psychology and anthropology are leaving a lot to be desired). Again, if anyone has an expertise, recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Dawkins is something of a hero but the only book of his I'm all that interested in reading is The Greatest Show On Earth. I've been into evolutionary biology lately and I want to get a more permanent understanding of it, rather than just sort of glimpses when it "clicks"(the tiny, technical, sciencey parts, not the concepts and stuff).

I think Contact is an excellent science fiction book that I'd highly recommend but.... the film is just better. I'd definitely see it first, if you haven't done either.

And of course, Dick.

Just read the graveyard book. Loved it. Neil gaiman may have my babies.

Latest posts

Back