The All-About Books thread

:( I have too many books....
Ugh, me too.

And couldn't get through a single one of them over my winter break. Started and failed to finish Blood Meridian, American Psycho and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. For some reason lately I've lost my ability to concentrate on books most of the time, no matter how much I isolate myself.

Currently trying to get through The Grapes of Wrath for my writing class and ignoring all the other books I'm supposed to be reading. Except Jean Genet's Our Lady of the Flowers, which is great and the gayest thing I've ever read that I didn't write.

The latest installment of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is here in teh Philippinoe bookstore.

Legally.

I must read it even though I don't give a **** about the series so I can spoil it every chance I get.

Just placed an order on Amazon to get all five Percy Jackson & The Olympians (as a set), brand new, for $20!

Also placed another order to get The Demigod Files Hardcover for little over $5.

:rockon:

I'm reading the Steve Jobs biography. I'm only a couple chapters in so I haven't got to the really good stuff yet but it's pretty interesting so far.

I'm reading the Steve Jobs biography. I'm only a couple chapters in so I haven't got to the really good stuff yet but it's pretty interesting so far.
I'm not dissing the book, but I'm actually pretty annoyed at how many people have been reading it and going, "Did you know..." about things about Steve Jobs (particularly aspects of his personality as a manager, creator and idea man from before his exile from Apple and after his return) they've just learned from the book when a lot of that stuff is pretty well documented online and in print.

I mean, of course the purpose of the book is that it's a biography not a trivia book, but still, as someone who used a lot of publicly accessible online sources to write research papers on the history of Apple and Jobs for a living, it's kind of annoying to put up with the 'Hey I'm Columbus and I discovered... THE SECRET HISTORY OF STEVE JOBS."

/endrant /elitistsmartypants

I just started reading The Hunger Games. 4 chapters in - so far, so good.

I enjoyed the book, though it read a bit rushed in some areas. I'm in the same boat with Jaggyd where the movie skimmed a lot of important details and phased out less significant but still important characters with cheap gimmicks and forced interactions of emotion for the sake of saving time.

To be honest, I felt the sequels were nothing compared to the original. They didn't introduce anything new to the story line, and were completely predictable.

I'd had an interesting theory about Foxface in Hunger Games.

I think she deliberately ate the nightlock berries as a painless suicide. It's shown in Capitol that she's as good at Katniss at recognizing dangerous plants, so her death by "accidentally" eating them with the cheese, makes no sense. If you look at who was left, she wouldn't want to kill Katniss or Peeta because of Katniss' kindness, she's no match for Thresh (in the movie, in the book he dies before her IIRC), and she knows that she would suffer at the hands of Cato's sadism. So the nightlock would be a fast (and assumed) painless death.

What makes me happy tho, I've found that they did shoot a lot more of Capitol stuff and the actual Games, I'm hoping there's a director's cut that reincludes them.

To be honest, I felt the sequels were nothing compared to the original. They didn't introduce anything new to the story line, and were completely predictable.

I can't help to agree. I think they were only written in hopes to build another Twilight/Potter franchise.

Last edited:
I'd had an interesting theory about Foxface in Hunger Games.

I think she deliberately ate the nightlock berries as a painless suicide. It's shown in Capitol that she's as good at Katniss at recognizing dangerous plants, so her death by "accidentally" eating them with the cheese, makes no sense. If you look at who was left, she wouldn't want to kill Katniss or Peeta because of Katniss' kindness, she's no match for Thresh (in the movie, in the book he dies before her IIRC), and she knows that she would suffer at the hands of Cato's sadism. So the nightlock would be a fast (and assumed) painless death.

That's a good theory, but I don't see it myself. I felt Foxface was a true survivor and was only thinking about outlasting everyone in the easiest way possible. I feel she was so hungry, she didn't even think to check the cheese, just ate it before realizing it was poisoned.

At least that's how I saw it
I can't help to agree. I think they were only written in hopes to build another Twilight/Potter franchise.

What they don't realize is that a good trilogy (or seven in Harry's case) is that each set builds on the other. Plotlines are redefined, characters evolve and all that. I felt that this didn't happen in these books, Katniss never evolved from the end of the first book, until the very last chapter of the final book, before that it was always the same. And each book to me, felt like a redo, each Harry Potter book for instance stands as something separate on it's own, and together they make something even huger than their parts. Just my thoughts anyways.

Last edited:
I am reading John Carter from Mars series (the entire series is 99 cents on the Kindle), and I'm finding it interesting. Didn't see the movie, but the book builds a nice world.

I finished Hunger Games a few days before seeing the movie this past weekend. I liked the movie but the book was definitely better. I feel like the book kind of ruined the movie for me; I would've liked it better if I didn't know the book was more descriptive and did everything better.

I'll be starting Catching Fire soon. After that I think I'll either read John Adams, 11.22.63, or Drive by James Sallis - the movie was incredibly good.

I have been reading American Psycho and the Hunter on and off.

Has anyone else here read Ready Player One? Its a huge love letter to 80s pop culture. As a child on the 80s i loved it.

As a child of the 90s who watches a lot of 80s films, I liked it a lot as well.

Latest posts

Back