The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

Who'd make a good Lex Luthor?

Colm Feore

colm-feore.jpg

This is pretty cool http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/888/888464p1.html this is Ign talking about future villains in the Batman Begins universe and how they think they could work. I was impressed a bit as a lot of it was clever.

Ironically they mention villains we were talking about in the dark knight thread a couple of days ago like Bane ,Poison Ivy and Firefly but also go into others like Dr. Hugo Strange.

If it's been posted before sorry but I thought it was a good read.

pretty interesting. but the idea of Monica Bellucci playing Talia is a bit laughable. I mean she's sexy as hell but she is in her 40's. so the idea of her playing someone younger than Bale is silly.

Good article... But their idea for the Riddler is BRILLIANT.

I loved their riddler but my favourite was tying posion ivy to the Lotus flower in begins. That would be awesome plus I want to see her in the films as I've said but the fact is that tying it to the flower that causes the illusions with her ability to manipulate men with a similar gas is perfect.

I don't know... I don't want everything tied into the flower. It gets a bit ridiculous.

I do like most of their ideas though. That is exactly how The Riddler should be. And while I do love Michael Emerson, I think he might be a tad too old for the character. But they've got the right idea.

Penguin, Bane and The Riddler are the characters I really want to see work in the series.

I wouldn't call picking Emerson for the Riddler "brilliant".... he's pop-culture's current defining "charismatic villain of incredible genius". If the article had been written in 1991 they'd have picked Anthony Hopkins for the role, in 1995, Kevin Spacey. I think it's a bit too obvious and he'd basically just be reprising Ben Linus anyway, and like Proj said, he's a bit too old(as would be Kevin Spacey, still the other obvious choice if we're looking at this vein).

And to be fair, I've used Michael Emerson in every single one of my dreamcasts(all three of them), but in each he was playing an un-Ben-like role(J.F. Sebastian in Blade Runner, the Scarecrow in The Wizard Of Oz, Syme in Nineteen Eighty-Four).

I'm still champing at the bit for a younger-than-ever Riddler, like 20, like Octavian Caesar, like so: http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=347693&postcount=8

Penguin, Bane and The Riddler are the characters I really want to see work in the series.

I agree. Especially Bane. And if they cast anybody other than Bardem....:evil:

Last edited:
I didn't say the casting for the riddler was genius, I said the IDEA was. How they have him factoring into the story and whatnot.

I stand by my Sam Rockwell choice or maybe Michael C. Hall. I think Emerson's right for the universe, but not in this role.

I wouldn't call picking Emerson for the Riddler "brilliant"

I think he was referring to how he works in the film universe not who's playing him. At least it's that way for me. Their casts were not great but the idea of how the characters work in the new movie universe is pretty damn clever.

Edit :
I didn't say the casting for the riddler was genius, I said the IDEA was. How they have him factoring into the story and whatnot.

I was right :D

Last edited:
Michael Emerson would make an awesome Hugo Strange, though. Although, I definitely wouldn't go the route with Strange that they suggested.

Last edited:
Good article... But their idea for the Riddler is BRILLIANT.
My idea is still better: Make the Riddler a detective who works for the mob. They, or maybe even Bane, hire him to figure out who Batman is. And if he's not too busy with the Avengers movie, I'd still love to see Edward Norton in the role.

I'd like to see Harley Quinn introduced as the leader of what could be considered a Joker fan club. That y'know, murders people and carve smiles into their own faces as a sign of devotion. Charles Manson gets more letters than any other prisoner in the country, so it's a no-brainer that The Joker would pick up a lot of acolytes, even if he's most likely no longer around.

I was thinking Catwoman, Talia, or even Nightwing could serve one interesting role in a third movie, if they decide to use Bane. Have Batman get defeated by Bane and put into dreadful depression and then bring in one of the aforementioned characters to assume the role of Gotham's top vigilante while he recovers and renew his faith. Catwoman could be a burglar who Batman convinces to turn straight. Nightwing could be a young guy who's parents were murdered and is trying to do what Batman does. The point is, the third movie should affirm the notion that what Batman has done is not invent costumed villainy as a reaction to his own presence, but inspire regular Gotham citizens to be better people.

Iceshadow said:
Me neither since Scarecrow was already a psychologist.

Agreed. That's the same reason I don't like the idea of Poison Ivy being tied to the lotus. Having her be a 21st century eco-terrorist who maybe mimics some of the comic version's powers with stolen pharmaceutical research projects would work though.

My idea is still better: Make the Riddler a detective who works for the mob. They, or maybe even Bane, hire him to figure out who Batman is. And if he's not too busy with the Avengers movie, I'd still love to see Edward Norton in the role.

Dig. Ed Norton would be perfect for the role, and the wrinkle of Batman being hunted by an equally cunning but ruthless detective would be awesome.

moonmaster said:
I'd like to see Harley Quinn introduced as the leader of what could be considered a Joker fan club. That y'know, murders people and carve smiles into their own faces as a sign of devotion. Charles Manson gets more letters than any other prisoner in the country, so it's a no-brainer that The Joker would pick up a lot of acolytes, even if he's most likely no longer around.

Word.

moonmaster said:
I was thinking Catwoman, Talia, or even Nightwing could serve one interesting role in a third movie, if they decide to use Bane. Have Batman get defeated by Bane and put into dreadful depression and then bring in one of the aforementioned characters to assume the role of Gotham's top vigilante while he recovers and renew his faith. Catwoman could be a burglar who Batman convinces to turn straight. Nightwing could be a young guy who's parents were murdered and is trying to do what Batman does. The point is, the third movie should affirm the notion that what Batman has done is not invent costumed villainy as a reaction to his own presence, but inspire regular Gotham citizens to be better people.

I don't know. I don't like the idea of introducing all these ancillary "Bat-family" vigilantes. I think the supporting cast should be made up of allies who are enacting reform in other fields within Gotham, not more costumes.

I think if Bane's going to be a bad guy, Bane/Huge Strange/Penguin could make an awesome trifecta. If Dark Knight is about the Joker tearing to shreds the social order of the old mafia underworld, then the sequel would follow as who comes in to fill the hole. Use Intergang. Hugo Strange is the black market chemist creating steroid cocktails to flood the market with. Cobblepot isn't an umbrella fetishist or freak show monster, but a rotund night club owner with a big nose and a love for preening in public who's trying to establish himself as the new crime czar. He controls the flow of guns and drugs into the city, along with the laundering of money. Bane is the Central American warlord who supplies Gotham City with its black market goods.

Last edited:
Moonmaster, your Riddler and Harley ideas are awesome. I especially could picture the Harley idea working really in Nolan's Gotham. It would be dark and creppy to say the least.

Personally I'd love to see a Riddler/ Bane/ Black Mask combo for the third film.

Latest posts

Back