The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

I saw this story on CBR today. Not excited. It sounds like it could be pretty bad.

"the story at present will depict Lobo as "a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc." In this version of the film, Lobo will team-up with a "small town teenaged girl" to stop the villains." :sick:

Plus why make a Lobo movie and have it be PG-13?

A. The story is pulled from another Giffen penned story with Drax the Destroyer

B. Lobo is inherently aimed at 13 year olds. Nothing he does is really R material, he doesn't use the F-Bomb, and as long as there's no full frontal nudity or graphic sex, Lobo would be completely in line with the comic version.

with that, I think I found who should play him.

chino.jpg

Sounds kinda like the Drax mini that came out a few years back.

That's because it is. But since Giffen wrote it, it's pretty interchangeable anyway.

Last edited:
B. Lobo is inherently aimed at 13 year olds. Nothing he does is really R material, he doesn't use the F-Bomb, and as long as there's no full frontal nudity or graphic sex, Lobo would be completely in line with the comic version.

I agree with that for the most part. My thinking was the violence is what would push it over the edge of being pg-13. He needs to able to swear and smoke and rip off limbs etc. I guess my thing is that I don't want a watered down Lobo movie.

with that, I think I found who should play him.

chino.jpg

Holy crap! That guy is Lobo. (not the little fellow. the other guy) He even has the mustache down.

Good find oh casting director extraordinaire!!!!

This guy looks like Danny Trejo, who was basically the ideal choice before he got old and was replaced by this guy as the ideal choice for Lobo.

Lobo sucks. Even with Madonna-less Guy Ritchie at the helm, I have absolutely no interest in this movie. Again, Lobo just sucks. Giffen is pretty good as a creator, usually, but I've always hated Lobo.

The Jonah Hex movie, on the other hand, interests me. Josh Brolin and John Malkovich? Sounds good. Plus, I just heard Mastodon is going to be doing the score for the film. :rockon: So, yeah, it'll have the best soundtrack ever.

Mastodon? Why?

Doesn't seem you're too familiar with their music. Besides being one of the better bands in the music world today, they're pretty good at constructing near-seamless albums that are complete albums and not a collection of radio- or video-friendly singles. They have a grasp of things like mood and structure. Check out Leviathan for an example of that. It's basically a concept album based on Moby Dick.

I mean, I guess they could've done a soundtrack just like Transformers or any other big budget action film where they get Nickelback and Linkin Park to write some garbage and slap little tidbits of those horrible "songs" in the movie during the big action/hero scenes and then while the closing credits roll, but maybe they thought, "Hey, let's get a capable band to write an actual movie score."

Doesn't seem you're too familiar with their music. Besides being one of the better bands in the music world today, they're pretty good at constructing near-seamless albums that are complete albums and not a collection of radio- or video-friendly singles. They have a grasp of things like mood and structure. Check out Leviathan for an example of that. It's basically a concept album based on Moby Dick.

I mean, I guess they could've done a soundtrack just like Transformers or any other big budget action film where they get Nickelback and Linkin Park to write some garbage and slap little tidbits of those horrible "songs" in the movie during the big action/hero scenes and then while the closing credits roll, but maybe they thought, "Hey, let's get a capable band to write an actual movie score."

\m/

Mastodon are truly, absolutely genius. A friend of mine went to high school with them. I've actually briefly met Troy Sanders and Brent Hinds.

But holy ****. I hadn't heard about them doing the soundtrack for Jonah Hex. Along with the casting, this movie sounds just brilliant.

Last edited:

It sounds like you dislike Nickelback and Linkin Park just because they're mainstream, or because you don't like Transformers....

Er, it sounds like the only reason you think Mastadon is a "capable band" is because they're not really that mainstream.

It's okay to like mainstream music y'know.

(Nickelback does suck though)

Last edited:
It sounds like you dislike Nickelback and Linkin Park just because they're mainstream, or because you don't like Transformers....

Er, it sounds like the only reason you think Mastadon is a "capable band" is because they're not really that mainstream.

It's okay to like mainstream music y'know.

(Nickelback does suck though)

Well, I've had this same argument/discussion before, so let me fire back the standard form.

No, I don't dislike Nickelback or Linkin Park just because they're mainstream. I dislike Nickelback and Linkin Park because I think they suck. They both have really textbook, elementary songwriting. Nickelback's songs are mostly interchangable. Simple rhymes, simple verse/chorus/verse structure, and even though I don't like them, I can see why they are popular: lowest common denominator. Just like Idiocracy, most people are stupid. Write a few songs featuring various sexual innuendoes and catchy, every-other-line-rhymes verses and choruses and make sure your lyrics don't get too complex and deep and you can almost guarantee at least a decade of success in the music industry. Especially today. Linkin Park, on the other hand, I will admit liking them for a bit. However, they are a one-album easy band. They haven't shown much growth as artists from one album to the next. In almost every song, they do some screaming, some rapping and some "melodic" vocals. They're all late-20's/early-30's guys still singing about teenage angst. The music itself is tolerable, but not overly appealing or technical. It's sharper-edged muzak, in a nutshell.

Mastodon, on the other hand, are incredible musicians, songwriters, and overall creative guys. When you listen to an album, you can hear the effort that went into it, and in a day and age where digital music has really put a clamp on the time and effort and creativity that goes into album art, Mastodon still takes the extra time and makes the extra effort to at least make their packaging challenge your eyes and your brain a little bit. It's visceral music but it's very cereberal at the same time, and if you enjoy their style of music (which obviously I do) then you can start listening to an album and finish it without skipping over a song. Not a whole lot of bands put out albums that you can listen to like that anymore. It takes planning and after that, it takes execution.

I get called a musical elitist a lot, but I have reasons for disliking certain artists and it has nothing to do with mainstream success, even though a lot of artists I dislike are pretty mainstream. Sometimes that adds to the problem. People get lazy when times are good, it's a fact for everyone. If you're making money and you don't have to put a lot of effort into doing it, then you don't put out that effort. Look at Metallica, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith. They all used to put out albums that were full of good music, but after the money started to flow and they all went to rehab, the music started to get dull. They released decent singles but the albums themselves were pretty lackluster. After a time they started doing a LOT of throwaway soundtrack songs for big budget movies. Cheesy "music-for-the-masses" garbage that was catchy but disposable.

Then again, I'm a huge fan of certain big mainstream artists. Justin Timberlake is excellent, a creative and talented guy who makes good music to dance to when you're on a date. He's one of the Disney kids who I can actually stand listening to. I still think Thriller is one of the best albums ever made. The Beatles have always been one of my favorite bands, as have artists like Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, The Steve Miller Band and Huey Lewis and the News.

But yeah. Jonah Hex + Mastodon = Awesome.

Yeah, I don't think the planet exploding would sound good.

But I like Mastodon. They were on the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie Colon Film For Theaters Colon The Soundtrack.

If you're not on the planet while it's exploding, the planet exploding would sound pretty cool, actually. Just my opinion. Though, I would describe Mastodon's music more like Earth splitting in half at the core, or minus that scale of destruction, the soundtrack to the whole story of how the earth was formed.

I think Mastodon could do a good job on a soundtrack for Green Lantern, Annihilation or Infinity Gauntlet, too. They get pretty cosmic.

I don't listen to mastodon alot, but from what i have listened to, meh. Linkin Park used to be listenable but they're new songs sound just like the last album and like Will said, are very interchangeable. What i've Done sounds alot like the new on the Transformers soundtrack. that's a very displeasing outcome as a music lover. Nickleback, well.... they suck.

Well, I've had this same argument/discussion before, so let me fire back the standard form.

No, I don't dislike Nickelback or Linkin Park just because they're mainstream. I dislike Nickelback and Linkin Park because I think they suck. They both have really textbook, elementary songwriting. Nickelback's songs are mostly interchangable. Simple rhymes, simple verse/chorus/verse structure, and even though I don't like them, I can see why they are popular: lowest common denominator. Just like Idiocracy, most people are stupid. Write a few songs featuring various sexual innuendoes and catchy, every-other-line-rhymes verses and choruses and make sure your lyrics don't get too complex and deep and you can almost guarantee at least a decade of success in the music industry. Especially today. Linkin Park, on the other hand, I will admit liking them for a bit. However, they are a one-album easy band. They haven't shown much growth as artists from one album to the next. In almost every song, they do some screaming, some rapping and some "melodic" vocals. They're all late-20's/early-30's guys still singing about teenage angst. The music itself is tolerable, but not overly appealing or technical. It's sharper-edged muzak, in a nutshell.

Mastodon, on the other hand, are incredible musicians, songwriters, and overall creative guys. When you listen to an album, you can hear the effort that went into it, and in a day and age where digital music has really put a clamp on the time and effort and creativity that goes into album art, Mastodon still takes the extra time and makes the extra effort to at least make their packaging challenge your eyes and your brain a little bit. It's visceral music but it's very cereberal at the same time, and if you enjoy their style of music (which obviously I do) then you can start listening to an album and finish it without skipping over a song. Not a whole lot of bands put out albums that you can listen to like that anymore. It takes planning and after that, it takes execution.

I get called a musical elitist a lot, but I have reasons for disliking certain artists and it has nothing to do with mainstream success, even though a lot of artists I dislike are pretty mainstream. Sometimes that adds to the problem. People get lazy when times are good, it's a fact for everyone. If you're making money and you don't have to put a lot of effort into doing it, then you don't put out that effort. Look at Metallica, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith. They all used to put out albums that were full of good music, but after the money started to flow and they all went to rehab, the music started to get dull. They released decent singles but the albums themselves were pretty lackluster. After a time they started doing a LOT of throwaway soundtrack songs for big budget movies. Cheesy "music-for-the-masses" garbage that was catchy but disposable.

Then again, I'm a huge fan of certain big mainstream artists. Justin Timberlake is excellent, a creative and talented guy who makes good music to dance to when you're on a date. He's one of the Disney kids who I can actually stand listening to. I still think Thriller is one of the best albums ever made. The Beatles have always been one of my favorite bands, as have artists like Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, The Steve Miller Band and Huey Lewis and the News.

But yeah. Jonah Hex + Mastodon = Awesome.

If you're not on the planet while it's exploding, the planet exploding would sound pretty cool, actually. Just my opinion. Though, I would describe Mastodon's music more like Earth splitting in half at the core, or minus that scale of destruction, the soundtrack to the whole story of how the earth was formed.

I think Mastodon could do a good job on a soundtrack for Green Lantern, Annihilation or Infinity Gauntlet, too. They get pretty cosmic.

I actually agree with most of that.

Latest posts

Back