The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

CBR:

X-Men 4?

While covering a press event for the home video release of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Slashfilm asked producer Lauren Schuler-Donner about the status of the various "Origins" spin-offs. She revealed her intentions to make "X-Men 4" or, um, "X4" and a filmed based on "New Mutants." Slashfilm's report, unfrotunately, does not contain direct quotes from the producer, but this is the first movement on continuing the original "X-Men" series I've heard in some time.

Last edited:
CBR:

X-Men 4?

While covering a press event for the home video release of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Slashfilm asked producer Lauren Schuler-Donner about the status of the various "Origins" spin-offs. She revealed her intentions to make "X-Men 4" or, um, "X4" and a filmed based on "New Mutants." Slashfilm's report, unfrotunately, does not contain direct quotes from the producer, but this is the first movement on continuing the original "X-Men" series I've heard in some time.

the only way I can see myself getting excited for another X-Men movie is if they they completely start over. I know they throw around the idea of rebooting everything, but I think X-Men deserves it.

the only way I can see myself getting excited for another X-Men movie is if they they completely start over. I know they throw around the idea of rebooting everything, but I think X-Men deserves it.

Let's be realistic though, they aren't going to reboot X-Men any time soon. So here's hoping they just do a better job in the future.

I think "X-Men: First Class" and "New Mutants" both have potential. X-4 not so much. I liked X-Men when it first came out b/c i was 14 and it was the first Marvel superhero movie i had ever seen (the first real blockbuster superhero movie Marvel made, besides Blade). Looking back on it, it wasn't that great. X-Men 2 was much better, and X3 was a big let down...but none of them have been superb. And Hallie Berry was an awful Storm.

The most interesting characters, in my opinion, are Iceman, Rogue, Kitty, and Colossus. More needs to be done with them.

Let's be realistic though, they aren't going to reboot X-Men any time soon. So here's hoping they just do a better job in the future.

I think "X-Men: First Class" and "New Mutants" both have potential. X-4 not so much. I liked X-Men when it first came out b/c i was 14 and it was the first Marvel superhero movie i had ever seen (the first real blockbuster superhero movie Marvel made, besides Blade). Looking back on it, it wasn't that great. X-Men 2 was much better, and X3 was a big let down...but none of them have been superb. And Hallie Berry was an awful Storm.

The most interesting characters, in my opinion, are Iceman, Rogue, Kitty, and Colossus. More needs to be done with them.

How is First Class not a reboot?

Rebooting X-Men would be the most wasteful reboot in any series I can think of so far.

I disagree. I don't think any of them were great. The first one was decent and X2 was pretty good, but the third screwed everything up.

How is First Class not a reboot?

They're marketing it as X-Men Origins: First Class which I guess means that it will feature Storm, Jean, Cyclops and some other people (I can't remember who was already part of Xavier's when the first movie began) before the events of X-Men.

But I wouldn't complain if they used it as a reboot for the whole series.

X-Men: First Class will be used as a prequel to the X-Men movies, taking place between Wolverine Origins and X-Men 1. It is not a reboot.

Well darn. I thought I heard they were using Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel...meaning that it would have to be some sort of reboot. My bad.

Well darn. I thought I heard they were using Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel...meaning that it would have to be some sort of reboot. My bad.
That was the general thought when they mentioned an XFC movie. Then Donner mentioned about it being the first class of the characters within the movie. So Jean, Cyclops, Storm, and Beast are the characters that will be appearing, among younger versions of anyone else if they wanted to.

So, the thing that always seemed funny to me about the first two X-Men movies (and Superman Returns for that matter) is that Singer has stated repeatedly how he's not a comic book fan and felt like comics are juvenile literature, but he finally relented and ended up directing the X-movies..... and in the process, created a series of films that are shallow and inferior to the better X-Men stories out there, and just generally mediocre from a script and directing standpoint.

Last edited:
I disagree. I don't think any of them were great. The first one was decent and X2 was pretty good, but the third screwed everything up.

But they were extremely well-received, critically and commercially. Even #3, which only got mediocre reviews, did huge at the box office. All that effort was to solidly establish a huge cast of characters in the public eye, and they succeeded. To suddenly scrap everything and try again now would be a huge waste.

And to be honest, this may turn out to be better than a reboot. Reboots can tend to rehash old info. A Prequel with younger X-Men will give us new actors, probably a new director, and allow for different aspects of the characters and different stories to be explored.

Of course it could suck too, but then so might a reboot.

a side thought just occurred to me. It's been said that Fox has to keep pumping out X-Men movies or they lose the rights. Does that mean they have lost/will soon lose the rights to DareDevil?

EDIT: And I just saw this on SHH

Apparently he has been talking with Lauren Schuler Donner about where the Deadpool movie is going and he's excited. AND they discussed the possibility of Cable showing up in a future X-Men movie.

Last edited:
And to be honest, this may turn out to be better than a reboot. Reboots can tend to rehash old info. A Prequel with younger X-Men will give us new actors, probably a new director, and allow for different aspects of the characters and different stories to be explored.

Of course it could suck too, but then so might a reboot.

a side thought just occurred to me. It's been said that Fox has to keep pumping out X-Men movies or they lose the rights. Does that mean they have lost/will soon lose the rights to DareDevil?

EDIT: And I just saw this on SHH

Apparently he has been talking with Lauren Schuler Donner about where the Deadpool movie is going and he's excited. AND they discussed the possibility of Cable showing up in a future X-Men movie.

Uh-oh... Nothing good can come from Rob Liefeld being excited.

I found this quote hilarious.

SSH said:
Since his creation Deadpool was introduced in X-Men Origins: Wolverine earlier this year, Liefeld has been a great cheerleader for the movie, having returned to Marvel Comics in recent years to revive some of his characters there.

Last edited:
why not?

I had no idea who he was before i read the SHH article, but i would assume the creator of the character being excited would be a good thing.

Because he's a tasteless, no talent hack. Deadpool was basically just a poor rip-off of DC's Deathstroke until Joe Kelly came along years after Liefeld had left and actually made him a fun character.'

When he designed Deadpool and he was told "Uh, dude. That's Deathstroke" his response wasn't "Oh ****! I'd better redesign then!" It was "Hahaha! Let's name him Wade Wilson and call it an homage!"

(I'm kind of hoping my baiting will attract Liefeld's sensitive ears tuned to internet slander and direct him to this forum)

Last edited:
So, the thing that always seemed funny to me about the first two X-Men movies (and Superman Returns for that matter) is that Singer has stated repeatedly how he's not a comic book fan and felt like comics are juvenile literature, but he finally relented and ended up directing the X-movies..... and in the process, created a series of films that are shallow and inferior to the better X-Men stories out there, and just generally mediocre from a script and directing standpoint.

The first 2 films as done by Singer aren't all that shallow and inferior. X-Men 3 screwed the pooch but c'mon Zombi. X1 and X2 were total fangasms. Not just because I'm a Marvel Zombie or a comics fan but they were definitely good and 2 built from the groundwork of the first. They had everything you could want in a superhero movie.

I don't see how you could really consider them mediocre from either standpoint. Nobody else did, anyway, including me and honestly, I can be kind of a dick when it comes to these types of things. Superman Returns was a total ****fest but the first 2 X-Men films were Bryan Singer doing some great superhero stuff, wether or not he considers comics to be juvenile literature.

Maybe that was why those movies were so good. He took what he considered juvenile literature and made it palatable for an audience who had already hit puberty. Or not. Kids liked them, too.

I think they were pretty much spot-on. Agree to disagree?

Latest posts

Back