The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

I'm not suggesting Marvel's going to stop making IM/CA/Thor movies while they're still making them money. I'm just questinoing how long they can be sustained before the audience loses interest. IM is the golden goose but it could be argued that's almost all Downey's doing. I'm skeptical of how well the franchise will do without him.

Without RDJ the franchise would certainly lose some of it's box office appeal. That said, I think it would still do big business, especially depending what actor replaces him. It would certainly be interesting to see how an Iron Man movie does without him though. As for how long they can sustain audience interest; I think they can sustain it a pretty long time. There are people that will see these movies just because of brand recognition, regardless of the quality of the film (look at Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc). Additionally, these big blockbusters play very well overseas because so much of it is spectacle. They've been making X-Men, Spider-man, and Batman movies forever and they're still big box office draws.

As for Cap and Thor, I guess we'll see, but I don't exactly expect their numbers to soar. I just don't think these movies can be sustained into perpetuity. Sooner or later that revenue boom is going to slow down and they're going to need other franchises to fall back on.

I don't think there numbers will reach Iron Man levels, but I bet the sequels to both films are significantly higher than their first films. I know a ton of people who didn't see either in theaters, but have since caught them on DVD. That, coupled with interest stemming from the Avengers movie, should lead a lot more people to see them in theaters. I'm just skeptical about how many of the other characters that Marvel has the rights to would be able to sustain movie franchises. Just like, X-men, Spider-man and Batman, once any of the big 3 franchises become stale, I have feeling that they'll just reboot.

I think they can have success outside of those three as long as they're carefully about waiting for solid scripts and loosen up their purse strings a little. It's not like Cap/Thor/Iron Man were these hugely successful pop icons before the movies. I don't think GotG is going to turn into a major franchise, because, well, they have STAR WARS now but they have a fairly robust library to work with. I'm not sure if Ant-Man will be successful, but I think it certainly can. It's got Edgar Wright behind it and that test footage looked fantastic. If Blade can be a successful franchise then I don't see why Doc Strange, Runaways, Black Panther, Punisher, Daredevil, etc. can't as well.

I'll agree that Cap/Thor/Iron Man weren't pop icons before the movies, but they were still miles ahead of characters like Doc Strange, Black Panther, Runaways in terms of pop culture consciousness. I know much more than the general person about comics and such, and even I have no idea what Runaways are. Before their movies, the normal person on the street was probably at least aware Cap/Thor/Iron Man existed, even if they didn't know anything about them. I don't doubt that those other properties can be successful, I just doubt that they can on the level of Iron Man, and even Thor/Captain America.

I seem to be unable to find the Iron Man 3 thread.

Enjoyed the film, it was a romp. I figured out the Mandarin was an actor well before they showed it. The scene with the President calling him was the final give away for me. Thought that was cool.

I seem to be unable to find the Iron Man 3 thread.

Enjoyed the film, it was a romp. I figured out the Mandarin was an actor well before they showed it. The scene with the President calling him was the final give away for me. Thought that was cool.

You're the second person to say this in the last couple days.

[thread=13186]It's right here where it's always been.[/thread]

You're the second person to say this in the last couple days.

[thread=13186]It's right here where it's always been.[/thread]

It was in the comic solicitations and shipping lists forum for a brief period for some reason.

It was in the comic solicitations and shipping lists forum for a brief period for some reason.

Well I see that Venom Melendez was here yesterday so I guess it's fair to just blame him.

wow. That's confident.

So was the decision to make a Super Mario Bros. movie...but they did it. However I'm sure these will turn out much better.

Also, as for Man of Steel sequel in 2014 and Justice League in 2015, I'm surprised they're thinking they can pull that off. Realistically for the Man of Steel sequel, they're going to have to aim for the end of 2014, which can be a tough time to pull in big bucks at the box office due to the holidays, as opposed to summertime. It also means an incredibly rushed shooting and effects schedule. Even filming all the scenes requiring effects first so CGI work can begin while filming of scenes without effects, I just find it difficult to believe they're going to aim for a release within a year and a half. I'd expect they'll have to start filming within a few months, and since its doubtful there's even a script yet...yeah, that's shaping up to be a recipe for disaster. But who knows, could turn out well, and maybe allow Goyer and Snyder to focus and aim at things they glossed over or ignored in the first movie since that experience is likely still fresh in their minds.

Justice League in 2015 also seems like it'll need to be rushed, though not quite as much. I'm assuming Cavill will have to shoot them essentially back to back since there'll likely only be a 6-8 month span between their release dates (I'm assuming JL is aimed at a May or June 2015 release to capitalize on the summer blockbuster season). JL will no doubt be a much larger endeavor, likely with more CGI and an obviously larger cast (meaning we'll start seeing WB's casting for the other hero roles in the next 6 months). Shooting for JL will likely occur in early 2014, and again need a decent amount of CGI.

Personally if I were the powers that be at WB, I'd try to release a MoS sequel in 2015 and JL in 2016. 2015 is already going to be a packed year of blockbusters, with Avengers 2 and Star Wars Ep VII both out that summer. Think it'd benefit WB to aim for releasing JL in 2016 which is pretty wide open (at this point anyway) in terms of major releases.

Latest posts

Back