The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

Lots of people at school were talking about how Sin City sucked "because it's all in black and white." Holy ****, you ****ing dumbasses. It's supposed to be in black and white. It's more effective.

I should go all Marv on their asses.

HA, Kids today, what are you going to do.:lol:

Lots of people at school were talking about how Sin City sucked "because it's all in black and white." Holy ****, you ****ing dumbasses. It's supposed to be in black and white. It's more effective.

I should go all Marv on their asses.

You should get all Dwight on their asses and lure them into an ally trap set by you and some New Zealand hookers.

I don't think what you said to Gothamite is fair, Ice. People were having a discussion, Gemini comes in and complains that the discussion annoys him instead of just not reading it or attempting to change the subject. Gothamite suggests, politely, that he does either of those things, which I've seen you do a million times in this kind of situation, and you come down on him?

Sorry, but Gothamite's right. On this board as often as I can remember it's been that if you don't like the discussion at hand, unless it's off of the thread's topic or something, it's up to you to just move on or to change the subject. Gemini posted three times in a row just complaining and mocking us for what we were talking about. Gothamite's right.

I find that comic book movies never live up to what I actually read in the comics.

Do the rest of you feel the same way?

Yes, especially superhero movies. The non-superhero original creations (Sin City, 300, V For Vendetta and Hellboy to an extent) normally stand up to the original comics, probably because the creators have been involved in some way or form, and they're actually adapting a proper story.

I always thought that Batman Begins was really the only one that 'truly' stood up to my expectations.

I always thought that Batman Begins was really the only one that 'truly' stood up to my expectations.

I think Batman Begins is so good because I didn't even know what it was about. I hadn't read anything about it, I hadn't researched it, I hadn't paid attention to any of it. All I knew was that is was new and had Scarecrow in it. And it was ****ing amazing.

On the other hand, I know too much about The Dark Knight. I hope it's not disappointing...

I think Batman Begins is so good because I didn't even know what it was about. I hadn't read anything about it, I hadn't researched it, I hadn't paid attention to any of it. All I knew was that is was new and had Scarecrow in it. And it was ****ing amazing.

On the other hand, I know too much about The Dark Knight. I hope it's not disappointing...

It will be. If for no other reason that it'll be unable to live up to your memory of the first.

Anyone else scared as hell of The Spirit? I keep telling myself that Eisner and Miller were good friends and Miller wouldn't **** it up... then I see trailers.

It will be. If for no other reason that it'll be unable to live up to your memory of the first.

Anyone else scared as hell of The Spirit? I keep telling myself that Eisner and Miller were good friends and Miller wouldn't **** it up... then I see trailers.

Apparently the movie is nothing like the trailer.

I'm terrified The Dark Knight will be disappointing because of the literally INSANE amount of hype people have been gulping down and spewing out at equally lightningesque speeds for the past year. Seriously, everybody, put a sock in it before you ruin the damn thing. "OH MY GOD HEATH LEDGER LICKED HIS LIPS BEFORE HE DELIVERED THAT LINE I'M GOING TO ORGASM AND I'M NOT EVEN SURE WITH WHAT BODY PART BECAUSE THE DARK KNIGHT HAS REPLACED THE MEMORY OF MY OWN GENDER.... WITH AWESOMENESS!!!". Oh my god, shut up. You'll only be disappointed when it turns out that yeah, it's a really great, occasionally awe-inspiring superhero movie and not the second coming of Christ, which, by the way, could actually happen at this point and STILL RECEIVE LESS EXOLTATION THAN A SECOND COMING OF HEATH LEDGER ON OSCAR NIGHT 09 TO ACCEPT THE POSTHUMUS BEST ACTOR NOMINATION THEY'LL ALMOST CERTAINLY BE GUILTED AND POLITICED INTO GIVING HIM.

Seriously. Stop. Please. I want to enjoy this, and that sort of hinges upon being able to hear the movie's dialouge and not have it drowned out by applause at every single line.

(and by the way this post isn't even really directed at this board, it's directed at the internet as a whole, not to mention the parade of never-read-a-comic-or-cared-about-superhero-movies-before-this-one mainstream morons who have suddenly become Dark Knight experts because of Heath Ledger's death. It takes away from it for me)

Last edited:

That's exactly why I've been mostly staying out of the Dark Knight thread.

Same here. I think I watched a teaser trailer for Batman Begins, once on the internet. Other than that, I had seen the promo pics for Bruce, Gordon and Ducard, who all looked perfect. This was enough to get me excited.

Then Superman Returns came along and I saw and watched everything. Every trailer, every TV spot; EVERYTHING. That was ruined a bit for me.

With the Dark Knight, it's been a blend of less and more. I've seen both trailers, but only in theatres and only once each. I prefer a bunch of vague, jumbled scenes dancing around in my head than a perfect recollection of things.

Personally, I love the Dark Knight hype. There's hype for Summer movies every year; sometimes they're great and sometimes they're okay. This time it's for Batman. So what? I never even heard anyone reference to the licking lips bit and people don't really applause every ten seconds in a movie, the way they appear to in the States and Canada.

I find that comic book movies never live up to what I actually read in the comics.

Do the rest of you feel the same way?

With Spider-Man, yes. With X-Men and Batman, no.

Batman Begins was basically a more entertaining, more epic and altogether more fun version Batman: Year One and I certainly think it's the most fun I've ever had with anything that ever related to Batman.

As for X-Men, I always hated all of the emphasis on space opera in the comics, so I preferred the more military feel of the movies. They seemed more down to Earth.

Spider-Man just didn't have the charm or the wit of the comics.

Last edited:
I want to enjoy this, and that sort of hinges upon being able to hear the movie's dialouge and not have it drowned out by applause at every single line.
This is why I will never watch comic book movies in the Aggregate Provinces of Yanqui.

I prefer civilization.

I'm terrified The Dark Knight will be disappointing because of the literally INSANE amount of hype people have been gulping down and spewing out at equally lightningesque speeds for the past year. Seriously, everybody, put a sock in it before you ruin the damn thing.

Remember the last time there was insane hype for a Batman film where the Joker was the draw? I'm not sure I ever saw it although I think I heard it was good. I'll be damned if I remember the name of that movie...

:lol:

"OH MY GOD HEATH LEDGER LICKED HIS LIPS BEFORE HE DELIVERED THAT LINE I'M GOING TO ORGASM AND I'M NOT EVEN SURE WITH WHAT BODY PART BECAUSE THE DARK KNIGHT HAS REPLACED THE MEMORY OF MY OWN GENDER.... WITH AWESOMENESS!!!".

You should be Michael Bay's publicity manager.

Latest posts

Back