The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

Michael Bay doesn't employ a publicist anymore.

People stopped applying for the position because the last one exploded.

...in a crowded street full of hot chicks, soldiers toting heavy artillery and a guy with an XBox in his hand.

[/offtopic]

Was Daredevil really that bad?

Last edited:
Was Daredevil really that bad?

Daredevil's not that bad at all. It has an awesome kingpin , Great soundtrack , cool concept of making his suit more modern and on film , Bullseye was cool. I like it.

With Spider-Man, yes. With X-Men and Batman, no.

Batman Begins was basically a more entertaining, more epic and altogether more fun version Batman: Year One and I certainly think it's the most fun I've ever had with anything that ever related to Batman.

As for X-Men, I always hated all of the emphasis on space opera in the comics, so I preferred the more military feel of the movies. They seemed more down to Earth.

Spider-Man just didn't have the charm or the wit of the comics.

I agree with all of this.

Daredevil's not that bad at all. It has an awesome kingpin , Great soundtrack , cool concept of making his suit more modern and on film , Bullseye was cool. I like it.

Yeah. The plot I guess, was a bit weak, but I thought the dialogue and performances were all spot-on and I loved the costume and the music.

Personally, I love the Dark Knight hype. There's hype for Summer movies every year; sometimes they're great and sometimes they're okay. This time it's for Batman.
Remember the last time there was insane hype for a Batman film where the Joker was the draw? I'm not sure I ever saw it although I think I heard it was good. I'll be damned if I remember the name of that movie...

:lol:

Here's my problem with the Dark Knight hype:

I love hype for things. I really do. I get a big kick out of insane, pointless, over-the-top bandwagoning when something popular comes out. When Star Wars Episode III came out, my friends and I went an hour out of our way to see it at the gigantic theater downtown on opening night just so we could be there with the reporters and the crazy neon lights and the giant model X-wings hanging from the lobby ceiling and the people dressed up in Storm Trooper and Darth Vader costumes lining up. And none of us were even huge Star Wars fans. It's just fun to have that kind of atmosphere going on around you.

This was the case with Batman '89 too. Batmania was awesome because it's all about the celebration of this huge fun thing that everybody loves. It was the biggest actor in the world playing the baddest villain of all time in the greatest show on Earth and everybody knew it and went in there to revel in that and came out doing the same. It was pure fun and celebration.

With Dark Knight, Heath Ledger's death has changed everything. It's becoming this sombre, awe-inspiring occassion that'll be just as mourned as it will be celebrated. It's pretentious and less fun.

As for X-Men, I always hated all of the emphasis on space opera in the comics, so I preferred the more military feel of the movies. They seemed more down to Earth.

Completely agree.

You should be Michael Bay's publicity manager.

I'm just paraphrasing.:wink:

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone has a review of Dark Knight up here. Three and a half out of four stars.

Be warned that it might spoil those who kept themselves in the dark about everything, also he gushes about Heath Ledger.

With Dark Knight, Heath Ledger's death has changed everything. It's becoming this sombre, awe-inspiring occassion that'll be just as mourned as it will be celebrated. It's pretentious and less fun.

Out of the ten people I know who are really excited for The Dark Knight; only half of them knew that Heath Ledger who died recently was also playing the Joker.

Plus, I remember before Ledger's death, when there was still hype for TDK and no other Summer movie. Sure, part of the hype is based on Ledger's death, but it's also because this is the sequel to one of the most universally renowned sleeper Superhero hits, ever.

Out of the ten people I know who are really excited for The Dark Knight; only half of them knew that Heath Ledger who died recently was also playing the Joker.

Not a shared experience, I'm afraid. About four people I was talking to about it today who said how psyched they were asked, alternatively, who was playing Batman, if Christian Bale was still playing Batman, and why they were making another Batman movie so soon after the last one. One of them didn't even know it was a sequel to Batman Begins. But they all knew who Heath Ledger was playing and that he was going to be the "most insane Joker ever".

Plus, I remember before Ledger's death, when there was still hype for TDK and no other Summer movie.

Exactly, when the hype machine was merrily chugging along on its normal track before the death changed it.

Can we just keep the Batman movie discussion in the two or three other Batman movie threads we have?

</backseat mod>

I'm staying out of The Dark Knight thread permanently for anti-spoiler reasons. Other than that I think we've just got one about the 90s Quadrillogy.

But then again I don't see what the problem is. If you've got something else you'd like to discuss in this thread right now, by all means bring it up.

I really don't know where exactly to put this, seeing as how there are several threads based on the Batman movies and putting it in just one would be an injustice seeing as how these retrospective reviews encompass every live-action Batman incarnation ever.

Suffice to say, this is one of the most interesting and entertaining views at Batman in live-action, ever. Plus, there's loads of footage in it, from stuff you've probably never seen before.

I bought the Rocketeer on classic VHS the other day. Haven't watched it yet. I don't remember ever seeing it before (though it seems odd I haven't, so maybe I'll remember it when I start watching). Anyway, I hope it's as good as The Shadow.

From a storytelling and plot perspective, it's probably better; but for raw badassery, you really can't beat the first twenty minutes of The Shadow.

I bought the Rocketeer on classic VHS the other day. Haven't watched it yet. I don't remember ever seeing it before (though it seems odd I haven't, so maybe I'll remember it when I start watching). Anyway, I hope it's as good as The Shadow.

Stop living in the past.

As mentioned elsewhere, I got the new special edition Batman Begins DVD today.

The only version I'd ever seen before was the bare bones 1 disc that I borrowed from my sister. (I don't buy a lot of DVDs and she's never interested in special features.)

Besides the actual DVDs, it comes with a lot of extra stuff: a piece of "lenticular art" (A big hologram card thingy, basically.), a bunch of postcards, an extra disc with a preview of The Dark Knight, a cool little Batman flashdrive loaded with TDK images, and (Here's the real incentive.) a $7.50 gift certificate thing to go see TDK.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, the "preview!" of The Dark Knight is just a two minute trailer with very little new footage. And I tried using the flashdrive and my computer doesn't seem to be opening it.

Latest posts

Back