The All About Comics Thread 4: Gemini Loves Crappy Variant Covers

Re: The All About Comics Thread 4: Mole Is Reading Watchmen?!

Not surprising. Everything you've ever read has tried to be Watchmen in its own twisted way, especially in the last 5 or so years. When you read the original after the fact it makes it harder to enjoy.

That is probably it. Good point. Had I read it at the time or even 7 years ago It may have felt diffrent

Not surprising. Everything you've ever read has tried to be Watchmen in its own twisted way, especially in the last 5 or so years. When you read the original after the fact it makes it harder to enjoy.

Kind of makes me fortunate, since Watchmen was one of the first comic books I read.

Kind of makes me fortunate, since Watchmen was one of the first comic books I read.

Indeed. I read it in the middle of Ultimates Vol. 1 and even that ruined it slightly for me.

I just finished reading Superman & Batman 08 - 13 (The Supergirl From Krypton arc) It was brilliant I thought. I loved the conflicting monologues e.g Superman "It's a love story" Batman "It's a detective story"

I also thought it was great how superman took out Darkseid and I thought it was good how batman mentioned what Jason Todd meant to him and how he had difficulty with Dick Grayson going on his own as Nightwing.

Next I start reading my Supergirl comics.

I just finished reading Superman & Batman 08 - 13 (The Supergirl From Krypton arc) It was brilliant I thought.

:noway:

Great action. No depth. The best part was Supergirl's fight with Luthor.

:noway:

Great action. No depth. The best part was Supergirl's fight with Luthor.

What? Luthor wasn't in it. Are you sure your talking about the same comic? I'm talking about the one where Supergirl's ship is found in gotham and well it's basically her re-introduction in to the dc universe. Superman even says iin it that Luthor is dead at this point when the doomsday clones appear

Last edited:

What? Luthor wasn't in it. Are you sure your talking about the same comic? I'm talking about the one where Supergirl's ship is found in gotham and well it's basically her re-introduction in to the dc universe. Superman even says iin it that Luthor is dead at this point when the doomsday clones appear

Oh hang on, yeah, I'm thinking of her second story-arc where it's basically her fighting everyone in the DC Universe for no reason and there's something about Kryptonite chains and an evil version of her powered by Black Kryptonite.

The first one wasn't all that great, either. I liked Michael Turner's artwork, though.

once I become unbroke again I will be purchasing Watchmen

and probably Sandman

once I become unbroke again I will be purchasing Watchmen

and probably Sandman

I suggest something else before Sandman. Kingdom Come is a good start.

AWESOMENESS:

The new guy who works at my LCS put up a flier for his garage sale, where he had comics and trades. We went yesterday but the comics weren't all out yet so I decided to come back today. (I did get a special issue of TIME magazine from the RFK assassination for a buck. I haven't yet discerned whether it's actually an original copy or just a special reproduction or something. It looks like the real thing...)

The trades were mostly indie/small press books. I decided to pick up "Jinx", because I find it hard to hate Bendis when Loeb is siphoning all my vitriol. I started looking through the back issues and they were pretty nice. Garage sales tend to deal in old, forgotten collections of random issues of Spider-Man comics and ****, but this was actually a lot of quality stuff: all of All-Star Superman, Seven Soldiers, Morisson's Batman, Millar's Wolverine and Spider-Man, 1602. (The LCS guy seems to have good taste.) And then I saw it. For a second I thought I must be mistaken, it must be a reprint or something, but the series has been so infamously out of print, it's unlikely.

MIRACLEMAN #1.

Having only been able to stare at Miracleman pages on my computer screen, it's quite a jolt to see it there in front of you. I had to get it.

The best part? Four ****ing dollars. That's how much I paid for it. I would've paid far, far more just for the sentimental value of it. (I don't care much about collecting.) He actually said he had a bunch of other issues out but that they might've been sold. I obsessively searched the three or four long boxes of issues and couldn't find any more. But I'm happy with what I've got. I might frame it or something. Seriously.

And I'm so glad that Planet-man isn't around to point out that he has all the issues of Moore's run. (The little bastard hasn't even read them yet.)

Last edited:

It's funny you mention garage sales actually as my family is going to have one next weekend... unfortunately, there will be no comics involved.

Congratulations on finding Miracleman #1. I'm about to break into Planet-man's house and steal his collection.

It's funny you mention garage sales actually as my family is going to have one next weekend... unfortunately, there will be no comics involved.

Congratulations on finding Miracleman #1. I'm about to break into Planet-man's house and steal his collection.
I'm closer.

I'll get there first.

MIRACLEMAN #1.

Having only been able to stare at Miracleman pages on my computer screen, it's quite a jolt to see it there in front of you. I had to get it.

The best part? Four ****ing dollars.

See if he's got (I think) #14 & 15. Those are the really hard to find issues.

I suggest something else before Sandman. Kingdom Come is a good start.

He is a crazy person.

Sandman = Too Cool for School.

And I'm so glad that Planet-man isn't around to point out that he has all the issues of Moore's run. (The little bastard hasn't even read them yet.)

Luckily I am here to say that... I had to find 15 separately, but I've got it in fancy condition too. I also have most of the Gaiman run (i'm still hunting down the last three issues of the series).

Last edited:

The trades were mostly indie/small press books. I decided to pick up "Jinx", because I find it hard to hate Bendis when Loeb is siphoning all my vitriol. I started looking through the back issues and they were pretty nice. Garage sales tend to deal in old, forgotten collections of random issues of Spider-Man comics and ****, but this was actually a lot of quality stuff: all of All-Star Superman, Seven Soldiers, Morisson's Batman, Millar's Wolverine and Spider-Man, 1602. (The LCS guy seems to have good taste.) And then I saw it. For a second I thought I must be mistaken, it must be a reprint or something, but the series has been so infamously out of print, it's unlikely.

Tell me what you think of 1602. I was disappointed.

Latest posts

Back