The All About Comics Thread 4: Gemini Loves Crappy Variant Covers

I felt Final Crisis was pretty bad when I was coming out. Now my nice, shiney, collected edition says otherwise, but as a monthly exercise it failed.

hahaha. Well, I liked it in both formats, honestly. It is irritating me that "Summer events" now seem to last eight to nine months though.

YA RLY

I don't care for the idea of superheroes being registered because it's kind of boring but I like the idea of Tony Stark being Director of SHIELD, Spider-Man unmasking (though that didn't turn out well), Captain America as a fugitive and the revamped Thunderbolts.

Ah. Well, I largely agree with you. I like a lot of the "bold new directions" for some of the characters but I also really like the idea of a SHIELD-driven Initiative, and I feel like the 50-state teams are a great idea that haven't gotten enough play.

But the books themselves were boring, flooded with blunt and overwrought pseudo-philosophical exchanges, and bloated by ****ty tie-ins.

Really? I felt the opposite. To me it seemed like an interesting premise with piss-poor execution.

Same here, the idea of super hero collateral damage grows to the point of a registration act is good, But the whole "Whose side are you on?" was ridiculous. I just couldn't buy these characters going so hardcore to opposite ends and fighting like that.

Same here, the idea of super hero collateral damage grows to the point of a registration act is good, But the whole "Whose side are you on?" was ridiculous. I just couldn't buy these characters going so hardcore to opposite ends and fighting like that.

I felt like they really jumped the shark with the Phantom Zone prison, or whatever.

I felt like they really jumped the shark with the Phantom Zone prison, or whatever.

Definitely. The whole time I kept thinking "Why didn't they build that for the people using their powers to actually kill people instead of helping them." It just made no sense

I thought it jumped the shark when SHIELD, an international organization with no reason to be America's *****, decided to arrest Captain ****ing America because he refused to lead the registration. And they did it before the ****ing law even got passed.

So about 11 pages in I was done with that cluster**** of stupidity and mischaracterization and followed the rest in reviews and parody scans.

Speaking of events... Bendis has said that the Dark Reign storyline will wrap up in December with a Siege special which will be followed by a 4 issue mini-series in January written by him and drawn by Oliver Coipel. It will have the big three Avengers assembling together to defeat Norman Osborn.

Sounds a bit easy and predictable to me.

Speaking of events... Bendis has said that the Dark Reign storyline will wrap up in December with a Siege special which will be followed by a 4 issue mini-series in January written by him and drawn by Oliver Coipel. It will have the big three Avengers assembling together to defeat Norman Osborn.

Sounds a bit easy and predictable to me.
Only 4 issues? Bendis?

Really?

Steve Rogers will break into Norman Osborn's office and throw him against the wall, where it will be revealed that Osborn has been a Skrull this entire time. Steve's eyes will widen in terror.

Coming in 2011: SECRET INVASION!

That's just the opening act. Act 2 will be 7 issues. Act 3 will be 15.

Then we'll have the aftermath for 8 issues before THE MARVEL UNIVERSE CHANGES FOREVAHS (again) for 5 issues.

Rinse and repeat.
That's more like it.

Seriously though, I've all but given up on Marvel Comics entirely because of severe Event Fatigue. If this thing leads into another thing I swear I'll drop every title on my pull list.

I thought it jumped the shark when SHIELD, an international organization with no reason to be America's *****, decided to arrest Captain ****ing America because he refused to lead the registration. And they did it before the ****ing law even got passed.

So about 11 pages in I was done with that cluster**** of stupidity and mischaracterization and followed the rest in reviews and parody scans.

hahaha. Agreed. Yeah. Marvel obviously has a pretty hazy understanding of how their espionage agencies work.

Steve Rogers will break into Norman Osborn's office and throw him against the wall, where it will be revealed that Osborn has been a Skrull this entire time. Steve's eyes will widen in terror.

Secret InvasionS!

See.... I felt like Secret Invasion could have been an interesting story too, if they'd hired someone who could do a story like that justice. I like the idea of event books playing with genres that aren't typically superheroic. Secret Invasion hinted at it with the whole 50's B-film motif but it just turned into a nonsense superhero brawl. Blackest Night is doing a better job, but I still wish they'd dial up the horror on it a little more.

Last edited:

Quesada: LOVE IT! When can I have the script to the first issue?

That's more like it.

Seriously though, I've all but given up on Marvel Comics entirely because of severe Event Fatigue. If this thing leads into another thing I swear I'll drop every title on my pull list.

I'm worried that they're hamstringing Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man (who have all had great runs by letting the creators just do their own things) so that they can channel that whole manufactured "Trinity" thing for another big Avengers event.

hahaha. Agreed. Yeah. Marvel obviously has a pretty hazy understanding of how their espionage agencies work.

That's why I'm liking Hickman's Secret Warriors. He's actually giving these things a proper structure.

I think Millar forgot that he wasn't writing for the Ultimate Universe.
I'm worried that they're hamstringing Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man (who have all had great runs by letting the creators just do their own things) so that they can channel that whole manufactured "Trinity" thing for another big Avengers event.
I'd bet money on it.

Seriously. Any takers?

Son of a *****!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bet money on it.

Seriously. Any takers?

Hell no. That's a bet I'd lose.

But yeah, JMS leaves Thor because Marvel supposedly wants to tie him into big events, Steve Rogers comes back, and Fraction is wrapping up a twelve issue storyline that probably shouldn't have been longer than six. I get a feeling they're lining these guys all up for the Siege event.

As for Shadowlands, I don't mind events if they're kept low-key and isolated to a particular editorial line.

Last edited:
Shadowlands has me intrigued, it's a neat name, and it's got to be a Street-Level event. Which has been wanted for awhile. Kingpins back in town, The Hoods still kicking around, Mr. Fear, Mr. Negative, The Owl's back, Matt's leading the Hand, Moon Knights back, IIF and GR seem to be conveniently tied up before this starts. It could be real interesting if handled by the right guys (Diggle, Sweirczynski, Hurwitz, Remender, Aaron, and the like)

Shadowlands has me intrigued, it's a neat name, and it's got to be a Street-Level event. Which has been wanted for awhile. Kingpins back in town, The Hoods still kicking around, Mr. Fear, Mr. Negative, The Owl's back, Matt's leading the Hand, Moon Knights back, IIF and GR seem to be conveniently tied up before this starts. It could be real interesting if handled by the right guys (Diggle, Sweirczynski, Hurwitz, Remender, Aaron, and the like)

I don't think Ghost Rider is a good fit for street level vigilantism, honestly. I could see Brother Voodoo possibly fitting though.

Latest posts

Back