The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Can someone explain this to me?

Marvel Challenges Blackest Night
Incentive to retailers offers up rare variant for Blackest Night covers. Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong!
LATEST IMAGES

View all 39 images

LATEST VIDEO

January 13, 2010 - In an effort to provide assistance to comic retailers in 2010, Marvel is offering retailers an opportunity to turn unsold comics into an extremely rare Siege #3 Deadpool Variant!

Retailers – for every 50 stripped covers of the following comics sent to Marvel, you will qualify to receive one FREE Siege #3 Deadpool Variant. The 50 stripped covers can be any combination of the comics listed below and all submissions need to be received at the Marvel office at the address below by Tuesday 2/16/2010. Also included with the stripped covers must be your store contact information including Diamond Account # and email address.

Stripped Covers To Be Sent:
Adventure Comics #4
Booster Gold #26
Doom Patrol #4
Justice League Of America #39
Outsiders #24.
R.E.B.E.L.S #10

Address To Send Submission:
James Nausedas
Marvel Entertainment, LLC
417 Fifth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10016

Information To Be Included With Submission:
Store Name
Store Address
Contact Person
Email Address
Phone Number
Diamond Account #
List of stripped covers being returned and their quantities

All the directions above must be adhered to in order to receive the free Siege #3 Deadpool Variants and the submissions must be received by Tuesday 2/16/2010 in order to qualify.

Please note that this is not a Diamond-affiliated promotion and Diamond should not be contacted. Retailers will be contacted via email once Marvel receives the submissions. Retailer with further questions should contact [email protected].

It just seems like general jackassery to me, it's also retarded

ORDER 50 DC COMICS AND SEND IT TO US THEIR DIRECT COMPETITORS AND WE'LL SEND YOU 1 MARVEL COMIC.

So DC/Daimond get 200 dollars worth of merchandise moved, and marvel gets a bunch of comics that they'll end up pulping, only to ship off a rare variant of a mediocre series that will probably just have Deadpool posing like a jackass

INNOVATIVE!

Last edited:

ORDER 50 DC COMICS AND SEND IT TO US THEIR DIRECT COMPETITORS AND WE'LL SEND YOU 1 MARVEL COMIC.

So DC/Daimond get 200 dollars worth of merchandise moved, and marvel gets a bunch of comics that they'll end up pulping, only to ship off a rare variant of a mediocre series that will probably just have Deadpool posing like a jackass in the background.

INNOVATIVE!

They want to find out the sales figures on DC's ring incentive to see if something similar will be a worthwhile promotion for them?

So I checked out the latest Black Panther issue which is a prelude to "Doomwar", and it...wasn't that bad. Though I didn't really like
the revelation at the end where T'Challa and Shuri have apparently predicted what Doom was going to do
it really undercut some of the "Oh ****." tension that they should have been trying to build up.

So DC/Daimond get 200 dollars worth of merchandise moved, and marvel gets a bunch of comics that they'll end up pulping, only to ship off a rare variant of a mediocre series that will probably just have Deadpool posing like a jackass in the background.

INNOVATIVE!

They want to find out the sales figures on DC's ring incentive to see if something similar will be a worthwhile promotion for them?

I think more likely they are trying to show to retailers and readers that the rings didn't sell the comics. It didn't get extra eyes on the books it just got more on the shelf of retailers who wanted the rings. If Marvel gets 10,000 books they can yell out that the sales figures were off by 10k every time DC inevitably talks about how great the books did for a blackest night tie-in. Marvel gets to see how many of the books were actually purchased because of the rings and how many were actually bought by customers.

I'm sure that, just as TV stations have access to other TV station's ratings, sales figures are mostly known by both sides.

Last edited:
I finally read all of the JMS run on Thor. It was super fun, I really liked it. Is it worth continuing on after he leaves? I know fraction is getting the book and I generally like what he does but how about this other guy?

Phonogram is fantastic.

I don't really care for S.W.O.R.D. or Thor though.

I'm enjoying S.W.O.R.D. quite a bit, but it needs another artist, or atleast the artist needs to learn that some aliens have different shaped heads, and Beast isn't part horse

His Thor's been pretty decent, as was DR:Ares, and that Beta Ray Bill mini

Latest posts

Back