The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

The Hellboy collection "Seeds of Destruction" is available as an iPhone/iPod Touch app for $1.99. That's how you do digital comics. It's a great way to republish old comics and at a low price like that more people would be more open to buying them (and MUCH less resistant if the comic is in a non-transferable format like this is).

I <3 Joe Casey.

Joe Casey said:
Despite Casey's eager and positive attitude to push the envelope, he made his opinion of the "aftermath" labeling of "Superman/Batman" perfectly clear. "Anyone with a brain knows that the 'Superman/Batman' book needs a big kick in the ass," he said. "I never thought an 'Our Worlds at War' tie-in was going to do it, but in this case DC editorial seemed really stoked on the idea and I was happy to do them a solid. Besides, I looked at it as an opportunity to write two classic characters that I've always loved. And, to put the final nail in this interview, this whole 'Aftermath' term that certain books–two that I've written for DC in the past year–have been saddled with as a marketing angle... let's put it on the scrap heap with 'Year One,' 'widescreen,' 'Ultimate,' 'New (fill-in-the-blank),' 'brain trust,' 'secret (fill-in-the-blank),' 'Absolute,' 'rebirth,' '(fill-in-the-blank) crisis' and other similarly overused terms that have wormed their way into the comic book lexicon and worn out their welcome. At the very least, replace anything with 'aftermath' in the title with a more appropriate word... like 'hangover.' I hope readers check out the book despite the 'Our Worlds at War' branding. Just think of it as unfortunate cover art... it's what inside that counts."

I got Batman RIP for my birthday.

It's not the worst thing I've read, but it's definately on the bad side of mediocre.

Seriously, the Devil Joker is crap. All the genericness of a psychopath with none of the entertainment value the Joker's known for. You could have him replaced with Zsaz and the story would be exactly the same.

I <3 Joe Casey.

Agreed.

There were some good parts, like imagination being the 5th dimension, but the story did nothing for me.

Jason Aaron finished his awesome run on Ghost Rider this week with the last issue of Ghost Rider: Heavens on Fire. It was a pretty great issue with some pretty awesome moments, I'm sad it's over.

Guys, even though I didnt think I would, I am really enjoying Haunt (Spawnderman).

I got Batman RIP for my birthday.

It's not the worst thing I've read, but it's definately on the bad side of mediocre.

Seriously, the Devil Joker is crap. All the genericness of a psychopath with none of the entertainment value the Joker's known for. You could have him replaced with Zsaz and the story would be exactly the same.

Agreed.

Seriously, brah?

The Batman of Zurr-En-Arh?

That moment with Jezebel Jet and Bruce in the Batcave where she breaks down exactly why he's broken?

The Club of Villains?

I thought it was brilliant. Not the best of Morrison's run in and of itself, but within the context of the story as a whole, it's really really great.

As for the Joker, no, you couldn't just replace him. While his presence was definitely underwhelming for me as well, the only reason he's there is because he is the Joker. That's why he's the Maitre. And well I feel like there wasn't a lot interesting done with the idea of the Devil Joker, I feel the idea that the Joker's persona being entirely codependent on Batman is a cool premise.

Last edited:
Seriously, brah?

The Batman of Zurr-En-Arh?

That moment with Jezebel Jet and Bruce in the Batcave where she breaks down exactly why he's broken?

The Club of Villains?

I thought it was brilliant. Not the best of Morrison's run in and of itself, but within the context of the story as a whole, it's really really great.

As for the Joker, no, you couldn't just replace him. While his presence was definitely underwhelming for me as well, the only reason he's there is because he is the Joker. That's why he's the Maitre. And well I feel like there wasn't a lot interesting done with the idea of the Devil Joker, I feel the idea that the Joker's persona being entirely codependent on Batman is a cool premise.

I loved the ideas and concepts in the story the art was great, but I found the narrative a bit too incoherent. I know the basic story before hand and I still found myself confused.

So I've been reading The Uranian which is about the titular Agents of Atlas character's superheroing days in the 50's. I've been enjoying it, but at the end of issue 2 on the solicitation page at the end it says "NEXT MONTH: DARK SECRETS OF URANUS".
.....:lol:

Last edited:
I loved the ideas and concepts in the story the art was great, but I found the narrative a bit too incoherent. I know the basic story before hand and I still found myself confused.

Really? That actually kind of surprises me.

What bits confused you?

Really? That actually kind of surprises me.

What bits confused you?

Like the explanations of the back up personality, the club of villains, and things like that jumped around too much. I get everything, but it's more how the story choose the explain it to the audience that had me a bit confused at times. I meant to add in my post that I've been meaning to reread it and see if I just glossed over a few points which may very well be the case. I also didn't read anything leading up but I knew the cliff notes.

Latest posts

Back