The All About Manga Thread

I will kill you in your sleep if you don't read...

McCheese's Weekly Jump Manga Review
Warning: I'm for serious. I will kill you.​

Bleach - Ichigo goes to help Nell. He is stopped by Weirdo-scythe-guy's minion. Then we go to Nell's backstory. She was an espada. She was powerful. She got beat by Weirdo-scythe-guy, but the other dude who's fighting Ishida and Renji right now helped... somehow. I don't know, the art wasn't clear. They tossed her out in the desert. We knew almost all of that already. Kind of a waste of an issue, but relatively well executed.

3/5 Mindless Minions

Naruto - In the past Jiraiya identifies Pein's creepy eyes. I forgot the name, but it has an apostrophy and he says it's more powerful than the sharingan. He decides to train them in ninjutsu. He has a heart to heart with Pein. They aren't calling him Pein at this point, but again, I forgot the name. :oops: These things happen. Anyway after three years of training Jiraiya walks away from his pupils and returns to the Leaf Village. Back in the present time Pein shows up in his new body, which happens to have the same color hair as the missing orphan that Jiraiya trained with Pein and Konan. Coincidence? Probably. A lot of people have white hair in manga and anime.

3.5/5 Evil Orphans

One Piece - The strawhats stand around the toppled Oz. He threatens them a lot, but finds that he can't get up because his horns are stuck in the ground. The Strawhats pounce on him. He howls in pain. He manages to get up, but Zoro and Franky take out his knees. The more rational strawhats say that they just have to stall Oz till Luffy can beat Moria, but Sanji and Zoro want to kick his ***. Zoro talks about how awesome his new sword is. We cut to Nami as she searches for treasure. She finds Perona loading it onto the Sunny. They seem to be setting up a fight, but they're interrupted by Bartholomew Kuma. Perona stupidly challanges him to a fight. He teleports her somewhere. He notices Nami and teleports up to her. He recognizes her, no doubt from the wanted poster, and asks if Luffy has a brother. She says yes and asks what he wants. He teleports away saying that's not her business. Teleporting seems to be his thing. That and being really, ridiculously huge. We end with a very nice reminder to fans that not only is Luffy still around (when was the last time we saw him?), but he's still an idiot.

4/5 Tricky Shadows

Bleach - Ichigo goes to help Nell. He is stopped by Weirdo-scythe-guy's minion. Then we go to Nell's backstory. She was an espada. She was powerful. She got beat by Weirdo-scythe-guy, but the other dude who's fighting Ishida and Renji right now helped... somehow. I don't know, the art wasn't clear. They tossed her out in the desert. We knew almost all of that already. Kind of a waste of an issue, but relatively well executed.

3/5 Mindless Minions

Chibi Bleach

I will kill you in your sleep if you don't read...

Warning: I'm for serious. I will kill you.​

3/5 Mindless Minions

I think the room she wandered into nulled her powers. Which totally makes sense.

Naruto - Back in the present time Pein shows up in his new body, which happens to have the same color hair as the missing orphan that Jiraiya trained with Pein and Konan. Coincidence? Probably. A lot of people have white hair in manga and anime.

3.5/5 Evil Orphans
:lol:
It's obviously Deidara's son.

Last edited:
So this may come as a shock to the two or three people who actually read this thread, but it turns out that Jump mangas aren't the only mangas I read. So I thought I'd give you all a look at the rest of what I'm reading.

NEW STUFF
Bitter Virgin - High school romance manga #2,164,007. But this one has a disturbing twist from the girls past. Not great, but good enough to keep me reading it when it comes out.

Detective Conan - Loved the anime when they used to play it on Adult Swim so I jumped on this one when I saw it. Good stuff. Truthfully they've used a lot of these cases for the anime. So I had to cherry pick the occasional mystery that hadn't been ruined for me yet. The manga is just as good as the anime. If you haven't seen the anime yet I can't recommend this enough. If you have seen the show there are still a few good new mysteries to read.

Fairy Tail - Pretty young woman joins a magical guild that gets in constant trouble. She quickly partners up with the Flame mage that recruited her and his flying pet cat. They are joined by an Ice mage and an Armor mage. Magic fights are a near constant and this book has a look and feel that is crazy-similar to One Piece. That's a good thing. Two thumbs up.

MxO - I've never read a Harry Potter book and I've never watched the movies (seen bits and pieces of a few on HBO), but this seems to be the manga equivilent. Magic school? Check. Lead character is famous and always has people gunning for him? Check. Mean teacher threatens him a lot? Check. The only big difference seems to be that MxO's main character Kuzumi is the only person in school who completely incapable of using magic and his classmates are clueless. It follows his exploits as he fakes magic and tricks his classmates (and most of his teachers) so that he can be near the girl he likes. Good at first, but the no magic gimmick is starting to get old.

OLD STUFF
Fullmetal Alchemist - It's still great, but it comes out so rarely.:cry:

STUFF I'VE STOPPED READING
High School of the Dead - Not getting any better so I quit.

The Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - Switched to the anime. Liked it a lot, but never went back to the manga.

Ares - Lost interest due to lack of plot and/or character development.

Hot Gimmick - Lost interest due to it sucking.

UnbalanceX2 - Ditto.

Last edited:
Right now I'm reading something called Rosario Vampire, in which a human ends up going to a ll monster school were they are being trained to resemble humans. He meets the vampire in the title, a beautiful girl. They become friends, and she tells him she keep her vampire side in check with help of a Rosary. Somehow, they manage to get into a fight with another monster at the end, and somehow, the human is able to remove the rosary so that she can kick the awakened monsters ***

IT's getting boring and repeptitive.

I'm liking One Piece right now

Today I started Shin Angyo Onshi and I'm really liking it so far. Basically a Shin Angyo Onshi is a Korean special agent (in somewhat ancient times) whose job is to kill Lords who abuse their power. The main character is pretty cool, and mostly relies on tricking his enemies to win the fight. There's only four chapters but I give a 4/5 for now.

So this may come as a shock to the two or three people who actually read this thread, but it turns out that Jump mangas aren't the only mangas I read. So I thought I'd give you all a look at the rest of what I'm reading.

NEW STUFF
Detective Conan - Loved the anime when they used to play it on Adult Swim so I jumped on this one when I saw it. Good stuff. Truthfully they've used a lot of these cases for the anime. So I had to cherry pick the occasional mystery that hadn't been ruined for me yet. The manga is just as good as the anime. If you haven't seen the anime yet I can't recommend this enough. If you have seen the show there are still a few good new mysteries to read.

Might check it out.

Fairy Tail - Pretty young woman joins a magical guild that gets in constant trouble. She quickly partners up with the Flame mage that recruited her and his flying pet cat. They are joined by an Ice mage and an Armor mage. Magic fights are a near constant and this book has a look and feel that is crazy-similar to One Piece. That's a good thing. Two thumbs up.

:D I'm loving the current arc right now.
You might want to check out Rave (which is by the same guy). Be warned I thought the first 30 or so chapters were "meh" but around chapter 40 things get interesting. It might be worth your time if you stick with it.

MxO - I've never read a Harry Potter book and I've never watched the movies (seen bits and pieces of a few on HBO), but this seems to be the manga equivilent. Magic school? Check. Lead character is famous and always has people gunning for him? Check. Mean teacher threatens him a lot? Check. The only big difference seems to be that MxO's main character Kuzumi is the only person in school who completely incapable of using magic and his classmates are clueless. It follows his exploits as he fakes magic and tricks his classmates (and most of his teachers) so that he can be near the girl he likes. Good at first, but the no magic gimmick is starting to get old.

I think I'll try it.

Right now I'm reading something called Rosario Vampire, in which a human ends up going to a ll monster school were they are being trained to resemble humans. He meets the vampire in the title, a beautiful girl. They become friends, and she tells him she keep her vampire side in check with help of a Rosary. Somehow, they manage to get into a fight with another monster at the end, and somehow, the human is able to remove the rosary so that she can kick the awakened monsters ***

Yeah that one got boring fast.

Last edited:

Hmmm. Interesting. But boring and repetitive? Probably going to skip it then.
Yup.
Today I started Shin Angyo Onshi and I'm really liking it so far. Basically a Shin Angyo Onshi is a Korean special agent (in somewhat ancient times) whose job is to kill Lords who abuse their power. The main character is pretty cool, and mostly relies on tricking his enemies to win the fight. There's only four chapters but I give a 4/5 for now.
Sounds good.
Might check it out.
Once you get past the gimmicky beginning, there are a lot of good murder mysteries. I think you'll enjoy it.

:D I'm loving the current arc right now.
The element four are cool and the walking mansion is great.
You might want to check out Rave (which is by the same guy). Be warned I thought the first 30 or so chapters were "meh" but around chapter 40 things get interesting. It might be worth your time if you stick with it.
Is that the same as the Rave Master show CN used to run?
I think I'll try it.
It's interesting stuff.
I'm checking out Fairy Tale it seems
I think you'll enjoy it.

I couldn't think of a funny introduction for...

Bleach - Iceshadow was right. Nerdguy helped Scytheguy by creating a room that stopped Nel from using her powers. Then they had an idiotic explanation for why Nel turned into a kid. And the rest of the issue is about Nel's little goofball minions who explain that they decided to let her stay a little girl so she wouldn't have to fight. Yawn. They also help Ishida and Renji in their fight against Nerdguy by taking away his voodoo dolls and sicking a big bug on him. Elsewhere Nel prepares to release her sword.

2.5/5 Ridiculous Backstories

Naruto - Jiraiya talks to Pein, who reveals that he is off his ****ing rocker. He believes that he is a god. That he became a god by experiencing a lot of pain. That by creating enough pain he can fix the world. That's why he's been collecting the Jinchuuriki, he can create an attack powerful enough to destroy an entire country in a single blow. Not exactly what he explained to Hiden. But then again I get the feeling that Tobi isn't down with the blow everything up for no apparent reason scheme. He's probably playing Pein, which means there may be a third as yet unrevealed plan for the tailed beasts. Anyway, Jiraiya rightfully suspects Pein ain't right in the head. They fight and the chapter ends with them both using a summoning jutsu. Jiraiya pulls out a frog, but not Boss Frog. And Pein calls out what appears to be some kind of chamelean.

3.5/5 Psychotic Peins

One Piece - Luffy loses track of Moria's shadow. Elsewhere Zoro tries out his new sword on Oz. He doesn't really do any damage, but he is impressed with his new blade nonetheless. Everyone is worried about the approaching dawn. Switch again to Moria meeting up with Kuma. Kuma has come to tell him that they'll be accepting Blackbeard into the Shichibukai and to warn him about Luffy and the Strawhats. Moria is offended by Kuma thinking he could possibly lose to Luffy. He promises to absorb them all into his zombie horde. Outside Oz and the Strawhats continue to fight until Oz's stomach opens up to reveal that Moria's been inside him all along. He starts calling the shots and pounds Usopp when he goes to get salt, but surprise the bone guy shows up with Usopp alive (if a tad unconscious) and a huge bag of salt for Oz.

3.5/5 Helpful Skeletons

Last edited:
I still think Detective Conan should be about Conan being found in a glacier in modern times, being defrosted and becoming a detective. That's how I'd write it.

I still think Detective Conan should be about Conan being found in a glacier in modern times, being defrosted and becoming a detective. That's how I'd write it.

You mean Conan the Barbarian? That is... the greatest idea I've ever heard!

Unfrozen Caveman Detective?

You'd think they wouldn't have a big bag of the salt lying around, you know since it's their big weakness.
Why do you insist on thinking!?!
Awesome.

Just awesome.
You mean Conan the Barbarian? That is... the greatest idea I've ever heard!
It may very well be.

Latest posts

Back