The All About Manga Thread

I missed nothing! NOTHING!!!

Also, onemanga.com has a whole lot of free manga and the usually get the new stuff up fairly quickly. That's where I get my manga fix.

You were way to critical on One piece. Yeah it was a sword fight, but it was one issue, and the whole time the warriors were trying to out flank the other one. The ending of the first one combined with the this shows that the samurai was simply looking for someone to carry his sword when he finally died. He witnesses Zoro's techniques, sees that he's trying to end the fight quickly so his sword's don't break, and the flame attack seals the deal. The sword gets passed, and while ashamed he lost a match, he's happy that his sword went to a new master.

Seriously McCheese, I can't believe you didn't see that.

Stop reading the drivel known as Bleach, it's affecting your other reading.

You were way to critical on One piece. Yeah it was a sword fight, but it was one issue, and the whole time the warriors were trying to out flank the other one. The ending of the first one combined with the this shows that the samurai was simply looking for someone to carry his sword when he finally died. He witnesses Zoro's techniques, sees that he's trying to end the fight quickly so his sword's don't break, and the flame attack seals the deal. The sword gets passed, and while ashamed he lost a match, he's happy that his sword went to a new master.

Seriously McCheese, I can't believe you didn't see that.

Stop reading the drivel known as Bleach, it's affecting your other reading.
I caught all that, but was unimpressed by it. Bleach was what I read first, so it's fair to say that it put me in a bad mood before I read the rest of my weekly mangas, but it's important to note that I MISSED NOTHING!!!

Still, next week I'll save Bleach till last so as not to effect my other reviews.

Read the new Naruto and Bleach for the week, lotta talking in both though I did like the reveals in Naruto (it seems they're saving the mindz battle for later), and the Espada's speech in Bleach about how waiting until someone is at there strongest to fight them is retarded, and you should finish them off at their weakest.

Last edited:
Ever wanted to kill a hooker? Then you'll love...

McCheese's Jump Manga Review
Warning: I may give three good reviews this week. What? It could happen.

Bleach - Prepare yourself folks... I liked this issue. Not I kinda liked this issue, but a full blown I actually enjoyed reading this. My reasons are two fold, during my review of last weeks chapter I made two predictions that turned out to be false. First, that the fight between Ichigo and wierd scythe guy would continue on for 15 issues. But this issue isn't really about that fight. It's about Renji and Ishida vs the other guy (I've given up trying to remember the Espada's names). Second, that the art would be ugly. But the art in this issue is actually very nice. The transformation of glasses man is teh pretties. The set up for the next issue, assuming they don't change the focus back to Ichigo, is good and the overall execution is better than this series has had in some time. Keep it up Bleach.

7.5/10 Sword Swallowers

Naruto - There has been a lot of talk about Naruto's parentage since this series started and we're finally starting to get the answers. But we'll start with the skirmish between Itachi and Sasuke. They chat briefly, Sasuke impales Itachi on what I'm sure would be an extremely painful extended version of the chidori, if it had actually hit Itachi. Genjutsu is fun. Itachi tells Sasuke to go to the Uchiha hideout alone and they'll settle things. We switch to Tsunade and Jiraiya having a heart-to-heart before he goes to investigate the man he believes is the Akatsuki leader. In fact, they have too good of a heart-to-heart and Tsunade's track record with men speaks for itself. It's fairly obvious that this old boy is gonna die tragically in the near future. Too bad. Anyway they reveal that Naruto is the 4th's kid with a ninja from another village and that Naruto's been sporting her last name and attitude. Jiraiya tells Tsunade to bet the farm on him dying because she always bets wrong and then he takes off. Later we see a small toad vomiting up the full size Jiraiya outside the Rain village. Pein senses a disturbance in what he refers to as "my rain". What exactly are this guy's powers? Good stuff.

9/10 Puking Hokages

One Piece - It's Chopper vs Hogback this time around, or so the title to this chapter would lead you to believe. But those two never actually come to blows. Chapter starts with Robin and Chopper having already been beaten by Sanji and Zoro's zombies. Chopper lectures Hogback about being a good Doctor. Hogback responds by prattling on about how he hates patients and having his zombie servant lick the ground. He goes on to explain how he enslaved Cindry and has her fight Chopper. Chopper tries to talk some sense into her, Hogback sicks Sanguin and Zormbie on him. But they start to fight each other. It seems that even as zombies with no memories these two just can't get along. Robin tricks Hogback into ordering the two of them to jump off the tower, which they do. He then tries to send Cindry after them again, but she refuses to move. Hogback is in trouble.

7/10 Gullible Villains

Mother****in' Bleach. For more check out this weeks...

McCheese's Weekly Jump Manga Review
Warning: Bleach will suffer for this.

Bleach - Mother... ****... Last week gave me hope. This week swooped in like an eagle to snatch that hope away. Let's start from the beginning. Crappy fight, crappy fight, Nell is an espada, mother****.

-5/10 GIVE ME BACK MY SOUL!!!s

Naruto - Sasuke goes to find his brother. Duh. There's no way we could have seen that coming from the end of the last chapter. Waste of page space. Next we switch to Jiraiya. He has infiltrated the village and is looking for information. Fortunately for him two idiot lackeys happen to stop inside a new bar looking for drinks. Well the two numbskulls proceed to identify Pein as they prattle on while standing in front of the bartender, apparently unconcerned with hiding ANY information about the Akatsuki. Well that might not be the smartest thing to do since Jiraiya is the bartender and the bar is really a giant frog. The frog hops into the water and Jiraiya sets about his interrogation. Meanwhile, Pein stops the rain and his partner, finally given a name in this chapter, Konan turns herself into a bunch of paper butterflies who go to search the town. Lamest. Power. Ever.

6/10 Butterflies of Doom

One Piece - Chopper and Robin's fight is coming to a quick end. We switch to Luffy who is still facing off against the shadowman. I forgot they already started this fight. We haven't seen any of this for months. Anyway the giant zombie with Luffy's shadow seems to have given up its dreams and settled into being a mindless zombie. Shadowguy makes it attack Luffy and the rest of the Strawhats. It does, but it doesn't really know the meaning of the word overkill. It smashes its way into Robin and Choppers fight and squishes Hogback. It stomps around for the rest of the issue looking for Mugiwaras. Meanwhile Sanji is carrying Nami, till she is stolen away by the lion guy... again. He wants to try and marry Nami... again. But this time Sanji seems a little preoccupied with Luffy's zombie. A lot of set up, but fairly entertaining.

8/10 Flat Doctors

I like how Naruto is now more about it's supporting cast than it's namesake. All Naruto's done in recent chapters is jump around the forest and moan about Sasuke.

I like how Naruto is now more about it's supporting cast than it's namesake. All Naruto's done in recent chapters is jump around the forest and moan about Sasuke.

That's what happened in the first few episodes of the anime. There doesn't seem to be much progress.

Naruto - Sasuke goes to find his brother. Duh. There's no way we could have seen that coming from the end of the last chapter. Waste of page space. Next we switch to Jiraiya. He has infiltrated the village and is looking for information. Fortunately for him two idiot lackeys happen to stop inside a new bar looking for drinks. Well the two numbskulls proceed to identify Pein as they prattle on while standing in front of the bartender, apparently unconcerned with hiding ANY information about the Akatsuki. Well that might not be the smartest thing to do since Jiraiya is the bartender and the bar is really a giant frog. The frog hops into the water and Jiraiya sets about his interrogation. Meanwhile, Pein stops the rain and his partner, finally given a name in this chapter, Konan turns herself into a bunch of paper butterflies who go to search the town. Lamest. Power. Ever.

If it's anything like Agent Paper from Read Or Die then I'll be happy. But otherwise this week isn't as good as the last one so far. I've yet to read Bleach, hopefully Eyesheild21 will be decent.

EDIT: Just read Bleach, I didn't think it was that bad. Okay, true it introduces a future deus ex machina, but it's still better than Ichigo vs "Pantherjow". This also just ocurred to me: how long have Rukia and Chad been bleeding out?

Last edited:
Indeed.
If it's anything like Agent Paper from Read Or Die then I'll be happy. But otherwise this week isn't as good as the last one so far. I've yet to read Bleach, hopefully Eyesheild21 will be decent.
Read or Die is cool, but I don't think that Agent Kanon would last three seconds against any of the other Akatsuki.
EDIT: Just read Bleach, I didn't think it was that bad. Okay, true it introduces a future deus ex machina, but it's still better than Ichigo vs "Pantherjow". This also just ocurred to me: how long have Rukia and Chad been bleeding out?
They're long dead. Looooooooooooooong dead.

Read or Die is cool, but I don't think that Agent Kanon would last three seconds against any of the other Akatsuki.

I keep picture her trying to butterfly swarm Kisame, he just waves his sword around a few times, and she reverts back to human form missing an arm and a boob.

They're long dead. Looooooooooooooong dead.

Oh noez!

Answering a question from the Naruto thread here because it has nothing to do with Naruto (I mistakenly brought up the topic, my fault):

I'll get into it someday, but which is better Death Note or Monster?

Wow. That's a real tough one. I think Monster has better characters, even though the plot might not be as good. The art is very different for each comic, but I like both styles equally. When I opened the first volume of Monster, I was imagining something dramatic and realistic, like Death Note, but it's actually a very simple style. It looks like it was drawn with a ballpoint pen and at first I was like "What is this crap?", but as I read I realized how well the art worked with the story and how consistent all the proportions were.

If you were asking me before the
Light amnesia twist
in Death Note volume 5, I would've said Death Note was better for sure. I might even have stuck with Death Note up until volume 7 and
L's death.
Death Note never stopped being good and I liked the twist in volume 5, but I think that was where the tension that kept it going through red-hot writing-things-down internal-monologuing action started to die. The twist in volume 7 sucked and even though I liked the parts with
Mello and Light as L and Teru
, I just didn't care as much about what happened.

Monster's titular character would definitely make a list of my top five villains. I think the parts with Tenma wandering around started to get a little bit repetitive, but now the action and the tension are getting ratcheted up as new characters and conflicts are introduced and the world of Monster expands. I think the part with Tenma meeting his old classmate was where it started picking up. The latest volume has me actually wanting to see what happens next, unlike with the later volumes of Death Note.

If you only had the money to get one, I would... well, I would recommend selling organs so you could get both. See if you can throw in some fillings and get Fullmetal Alchemist, while you're at it.

Wow. That's a real tough one. I think Monster has better characters, even though the plot might not be as good. The art is very different for each comic, but I like both styles equally. When I opened the first volume of Monster, I was imagining something dramatic and realistic, like Death Note, but it's actually a very simple style. It looks like it was drawn with a ballpoint pen and at first I was like "What is this crap?", but as I read I realized how well the art worked with the story and how consistent all the proportions were.

If you were asking me before the
Light amnesia twist
in Death Note volume 5, I would've said Death Note was better for sure. I might even have stuck with Death Note up until volume 7 and
L's death.
Death Note never stopped being good and I liked the twist in volume 5, but I think that was where the tension that kept it going through red-hot writing-things-down internal-monologuing action started to die. The twist in volume 7 sucked and even though I liked the parts with
Mello and Light as L and Teru
, I just didn't care as much about what happened.

Monster's titular character would definitely make a list of my top five villains. I think the parts with Tenma wandering around started to get a little bit repetitive, but now the action and the tension are getting ratcheted up as new characters and conflicts are introduced and the world of Monster expands. I think the part with Tenma meeting his old classmate was where it started picking up. The latest volume has me actually wanting to see what happens next, unlike with the later volumes of Death Note.

If you only had the money to get one, I would... well, I would recommend selling organs so you could get both. See if you can throw in some fillings and get Fullmetal Alchemist, while you're at it.

No need for money, I read for free. But based on your reviews, I think that I'll read Monster first.

No need for money, I read for free. But based on your reviews, I think that I'll read Monster first.

I can't believe I missed this.

I'm just going to come out and say that I like Death Note more. Monster and Death Note are similar in the sense that they're both about a interesting character who has no morals (though Light claims to) and the people who try to hunt him down. Death Note, though, I feel has much better plot twists and characters than Monster. Everyone in Monster (Besides Johan) feels very contrived, or is just plain uninteresting. Dr. Kenzo Tema may as well be called Dr. Boring Boringness.

But all in all, they're both very good. Death Note is just more exciting.

Where in the world is...

McCheese's Weekly Jump Manga Review
Warning: May contain Bleach copying itself. Again.

Bleach - This doesn't deserve a real review. Nell was an espada. Ichigo believes in his friends. The bad guy is teh evils. Nell transforms into a fully grown, barely dressed woman. Sound familiar? Yeah, last time it was a cat. They are officially out of ideas.

1/5 Busty Nells

Naruto - Jiraiya may be the lamest ninja ever. He tickles the captured ninjas for info. Tickles them. Funny though. Then he threatens to turn them into frogs. Well I guess the Japanese word for frogs and the Japanese word for gay sound a lot alike because there is some confusion as to exactly what he's threatening to turn them into. I'm sure it was very funny in Japanese, not so much in English. Anywho he gets the info out of them. And that info is: Pein is a super mysterious badass. Duh. We already knew that. Also he killed the old leader of this village, a man who beat all three of the Sannin when they were younger, named them the Sannin, and spared them in exchange for them calling themselves Sannin from that point forward. So he was a silly old fart and it's better that he's dead. GO PEIN!!!

3/5 Stasis Ninjas

One Piece - Oz tears the strawhats a new one. That's all that happens. A whole chapter of nothing but Oz beating the crap out of the entire Mugiwara crew. I usually rip nearly dialogueless fighting a new one, but they needed to establish just how badass Oz is and this chapter sure as hell does that. So this works.

3.5/5 Badass Zombies

Also he killed the old leader of this village, a man who beat all three of the Sannin when they were younger, named them the Sannin, and spared them in exchange for them calling themselves Sannin from that point forward. So he was a silly old fart and it's better that he's dead. GO PEIN!!!

3/5 Stasis Ninjas

Silly old man indeed, why do half of the ninja's in Naruto never kill their enemies?

I was immensely disappointed in Jiraya this chapter. I was expecting some serious Jack Bauer torture action out of him. And I'm still not entirely unsure that Pein isn't actually the Fourth...though everything is pointing to the contrary at this point.

Silly old man indeed, why do half of the ninja's in Naruto never kill their enemies?
That was the wierd thing, the Sannin were surrounded by Leaf ninjas he did kill. He just decided he liked them. Made no sense.
I was immensely disappointed in Jiraya this chapter. I was expecting some serious Jack Bauer torture action out of him. And I'm still not entirely unsure that Pein isn't actually the Fourth...though everything is pointing to the contrary at this point.
You're insane. Give it up.

Srsly.

Latest posts

Back