The All About Sports Thread: Even Sportier.

People will stop bringing it up when it stops being true.
It's not whether it's true or not. They make the most money because they know how to make it with winning and all.

Pittsburgh Pirates 2009 Team Salary: 25,197,000
Alex Rodriguez's 2009 Salary: 33,000,000

Please explain to the beleaguered Pittsburgh fans how everyone is benefiting from the current system and they're just not seeing the big picture.
MLB has a Luxury Tax, which is their version of a Salary Cap. It's "an arrangement by which teams whose aggregate payroll exceeds a certain figure (determined annually) are taxed on the excess amount. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its industry-growth fund." MLB then uses that for who/whatever they have to. The more money a team makes, the bigger the tax will be, obviously.

Have fun with that.
I will! Thank you so kindly.

Hey guys, at the end of the day, we're all winners.

Except for the team that scored less goals! Yeah!

They bought this championship before the season even started. But you're right, I'm being a sourpuss.

Congratulations on having an unlimited bankroll! Woot!
People can get so b****y when it comes to that. If they have the money to get the players, then why the **** not use it? Any team that has that kind of money would use it if they could.

MLB has a Luxury Tax, which is their version of a Salary Cap. It's "an arrangement by which teams whose aggregate payroll exceeds a certain figure (determined annually) are taxed on the excess amount. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its industry-growth fund." MLB then uses that for who/whatever they have to. The more money a team makes, the bigger the tax will be, obviously.
Paying more in taxes doesn't boost other teams spending. A SALARY CAP would keep one team from outspending all the rest and purchasing championships before the season starts.

One system has a proven track record of creating parody in the NFL and the NBA. The other keeps the Evil Empire rolling in championships.
People can get so b****y when it comes to that. If they have the money to get the players, then why the **** not use it? Any team that has that kind of money would use it if they could.
Yeah, but no one else can. That's the complaint. A SALARY CAP would allow everyone to compete on a level playing field.

Yeah, but no one else can. That's the complaint. A SALARY CAP would allow everyone to compete on a level playing field.
Because no one else can has nothing to do with the Yankees. How much you make doesn't necessarily mean you're automatically helping the your team every game/every year.

If that was the actual case, Yankees would win every year (though that wouldn't bother me. :lol:)

Because no one else can has nothing to do with the Yankees. How much you make doesn't necessarily mean you're automatically helping the your team every game/every year.

If that was the actual case, Yankees would win every year (though that wouldn't bother me. :lol:)
Was there any season in the past decade where the Yankees weren't one of the 2-3 favorites to win the championship? If A-Rod hadn't been such a choke artist for much of that time they would have won a lot more. Do you have any idea how aggravating it is to have a great young player like Gordon Beckham (AL Rookie of the Year) and know that when his contract expires the Yankees will buy him out from under you?

They don't just spend more money, their purchasing power undermines other teams' ability to build championship squads. It's ****ing asinine and you know it deep down in you blackened Yankee-fan heart.

Last edited:
They don't just spend more money, their purchasing power undermines other teams' ability to build championship squads. It's ****ing asinine and you know it deep down in you blackened Yankee-fan heart.
I'm not even going to bother to reply to anything else in your post. That right there? I'm going to let that slide. Step the **** off your high horse and calm down. I have a "blackened Yankee-fan heart?" As if whatever the Yankees do with their money is up to me in any shape or form.

Don't let me see any more that.

I'm not even going to bother to reply to anything else in your post. That right there? I'm going to let that slide. Step the **** off your high horse and calm down. I have a "blackened Yankee-fan heart?" As if whatever the Yankees do with their money is up to me in any shape or form.

Don't let me see any more that.
I've said way worse to E about the state of Detroit sports.

I too really hate the complaints about the Yankees payroll. People complain about it as if they wouldn't LOVE if "their team" spent the same money for the same players.

Please explain to the beleaguered Pittsburgh fans how everyone is benefiting from the current system and they're just not seeing the big picture.

Pittsburgh fans should be pissed at Pittsburgh owners and management for having no clue how to run a baseball team instead of getting mad at the others who do. There are other teams that spend less and still do well (see Florida Marlins). Pittsburgh doesn't care to spend money or do the work to develop from the bottom.

Many/most of the MLB teams have the means to spend the same or close to the same as the Yankees. They just choose not to.

I too really hate the complaints about the Yankees payroll. People complain about it as if they wouldn't LOVE if "their team" spent the same money for the same players.
If "my team" spent the kind of money the Yankees spend than the Yankees would just spend more.
Pittsburgh fans should be pissed at Pittsburgh owners and management for having no clue how to run a baseball team instead of getting mad at the others who do. There are other teams that spend less and still do well (see Florida Marlins). Pittsburgh doesn't care to spend money or do the work to develop from the bottom.
Pittsburgh fans do hate their owners. So do Florida fans. Because every time the Marlins do well they disassemble their team and sell it to the highest bidder.
Many/most of the MLB teams have the means to spend the same or close to the same as the Yankees. They just choose not to.
Horse****.

If "my team" spent the kind of money the Yankees spend than the Yankees would just spend more.

Like I said, there are 2 components to this. You can spend money all you want but if you don't do it wisely and on the right people, you get the Mets.

Another thing people who gripe about the Yankees spending like to leave out or conveniently forget is that the Yankees have gone NINE YEARS paying more than any other time and NOT winning a championship. They didn't even make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh fans do hate their owners. So do Florida fans. Because every time the Marlins do well they disassemble their team and sell it to the highest bidder.

That's on the owners. The major point is that it is possible to win without spending a ton of money. The Yankees don't win every year.

Horse****.

If I cared enough to look into financial records of each team I bet I'd find that all of the other owners are pocketing at least the same amount of money percentage-wise as Steinbrenner in regards to overall income. They could take less and spend more on players. But most would never do that because they are too greedy. That nobody will build a stadium that isn't heavily tax subsidized by the city government even though they clearly have the means is proof of this.

In other news, White Sox GM Kenny Williams is busy today. He just traded Josh Fields and Chris Getz to the Royals for Mark Teahen and then signed Mark Kotsay to a 1 year deal.

Fields had to get traded this off-season. That was a given when Beckham stepped up, but I hate to see Getz go because I think he's going to be pretty good somewhere down the line. Teahen should be an immediate upgrade next season and Kotsay is a good player that will solidify the outfield.

Good work, Kenny.

Last edited:
I quoted you to respond point by point, but I deleted it.

Honestly, I'm sick of arguing this. Let's just agree to disagree.

I wasn't trying to argue - I was just debating. But fair enough. No harm no foul.

In other news, White Sox GM Kenny Williams is busy today. He just traded Josh Fields and Chris Getz to the Royals for Mark Teahen and then signed Mark Kotsay to a 1 year deal.

Fields had to get traded this off-season. That was a given when Beckham stepped up, but I hate to see Getz go because I think he's going to be pretty good somewhere down the line. Teahen should be an immediate upgrade next season and Kotsay is a good player that will solidify the outfield.

Good work, Kenny.

White Sox suck. :D

Latest posts

Back