The All About Sports Thread: Even Sportier.

So what do you when you win a Championship? You let people go/trade away all the best players for people you traded away years ago! Nice ****up, Cashman!

Last edited:
I just watched the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary The U and I enjoyed it immensely. It's a nice look at the culture and atmosphere that produced championship teams and all that swagger that made Miami football famous.

Check it out.

These playoffs suck.

7 games in and exactly 1 of them has been competitive. Jets/Chargers are next. Hopefully that will actually be watchable, unlike the rest of this weekend's games.

Both teams looked bad. The Vikes couldn't hold onto the ball for the life of them and the Saints had no offense to speak of in the second half.

I've got the Colts winning handily.

Agreed.

Worst of all? Vikings had the game won! 4th qtr with less than a minute left......Farve past the 1st down point.....within 30 yards of the endzone....decides to throw a deep pass?

Whatever happened to winning the game by a field goal? Oh yeah...that's right....New Orleans opted to do that instead!

Was really looking forward to a Manning Vs Farve Super Bowl.

Ah, Brett Favre. Is he good? Sure. But he's soooo overrated.

Brett Favre's success has much, much more to do with risk than it does skill. And that's why you get what you saw last night - he lost the game on an interception of a terrible pass that no quarterback with half a brain would have made. Taking risks like that will only get you so far, until you meet up with an opponent with real skill. I have no idea why Favre gets the accolades he gets. He played most of his career - including this season - playing the Bears and the Lions twice each per season. I feel like I've seen him lose more games like he did last night than he's ever won.

I love seeing Favre fail. It's nothing personal - I don't hate him or anything like that. I just hate the hype. He's good. But he's not as good as ESPN would have you believe.

He owns every significant quarterback record; victories, touchdowns, completions, attempts, and interceptions (you take the good with the bad) and the consecutive games record at a position where most players seem to be injured at least once a year. He's a superbowl champion, an 11 time pro bowler, a 3 time league MVP, he's the only player in NFL history to beat all 32 teams in their own house, and he's had more completions in his career than all but 7 quarterbacks in history have had attempts.

He's damn good and hearing a Lions fan (or all the Bears fans I know in the real world) say otherwise always sounds like sour grapes. I'm a Dolphins fan. Dan Marino is the closest thing I have to a God and it physically hurts me to say this, but he may be the best QB to ever play in the NFL.

Last edited:
Ah, Brett Favre. Is he good? Sure. But he's soooo overrated.

Brett Favre's success has much, much more to do with risk than it does skill. And that's why you get what you saw last night - he lost the game on an interception of a terrible pass that no quarterback with half a brain would have made. Taking risks like that will only get you so far, until you meet up with an opponent with real skill. I have no idea why Favre gets the accolades he gets. He played most of his career - including this season - playing the Bears and the Lions twice each per season. I feel like I've seen him lose more games like he did last night than he's ever won.

I love seeing Favre fail. It's nothing personal - I don't hate him or anything like that. I just hate the hype. He's good. But he's not as good as ESPN would have you believe.

You, sir, are mad!

Farve did make it big by being a risk-taker, but ......

He owns every significant quarterback record; victories, touchdowns, completions, attempts, and interceptions (you take the good with the bad) and the consecutive games record at a position where most players seem to be injured at least once a year. He's a superbowl champion, an 11 time pro bowler, a 3 time league MVP, he's the only player in NFL history to beat all 32 teams in their own house, and he's had more completions in his career than all but 7 quarterbacks in history have had attempts.

He's damn good and hearing a Lions fan (or all the Bears fans I know in the real world) say otherwise always sounds like sour grapes. I'm a Dolphins fan. Dan Marino is the closest thing I have to a God and it physically hurts me to say this, but he may be the best QB to ever play in the NFL.

McCheese is correct here.

Right now the only person in the league that can come close to Farve is Peyton Manning. That guy is too good for his own good. Any time a coach gives up running the offense and allows his QB to call his own plays............wow.

I'm not really a Lions fan. Really. I watch them because they are the local team so that's what's on (except when they are blacked out because they suck so bad no one will buy tickets). I don't really follow them that closely and they've never done anything to endear me to them. There are several other teams I like more. I'm not bitter that he's beaten the Lions time and time again - if I was I'd be bitter toward every quarterback over the last 50 years. So really, it's not sour grapes.

As far as records...he's been in the league 16 or 17 years. You're going to rack up records if you are even a good quarterback, let alone great. Records don't mean much when you look at them in terms of longevity.

I'm also not denying he's good. Obviously he is.

I'm just saying he's not as good as ESPN/Sports Illustrated/Packers fans/Vikings fans make him out to be.

As far as best QB ever? You're on crack. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are better and smarter - and those are just the active guys I can think of off the top of my head. To suggest Favre is better than Marino, Montana, Young, Aikman...come on. Brett Favre at his absolute best MIGHT be top 10.

I'm not really a Lions fan. Really. I watch them because they are the local team so that's what's on (except when they are blacked out because they suck so bad no one will buy tickets). I don't really follow them that closely and they've never done anything to endear me to them. There are several other teams I like more. I'm not bitter that he's beaten the Lions time and time again - if I was I'd be bitter toward every quarterback over the last 50 years. So really, it's not sour grapes.

As far as records...he's been in the league 16 or 17 years. You're going to rack up records if you are even a good quarterback, let alone great. Records don't mean much when you look at them in terms of longevity.

I'm just saying he's not as good as ESPN/Sports Illustrated/Packers fans/Vikings fans make him out to be.

As far as best QB ever? You're on crack. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are better and smarter - and those are just the active guys I can think of off the top of my head. To suggest Favre is better than Marino, Montana, Young, Aikman...come on. Brett Favre at his absolute best MIGHT be top 10.
I said he may be. I certainly didn't say that was my opinion. All I was pointing out is that if someone wanted to they could make a strong argument that he's the best ever. There's no doubt he's in the Top Ten, personally he'd be just outside my Top 5.

That's still really ****ing great. And I'm getting sick of the Favre-hype-backlash that a lot of fans are expressing right now. Yeah, ESPN talks about him too much, but no more than they talked about Tom Brady for most of this decade when he was the wunderkind who was the second coming of Montana and could do no wrong. He's an amazing player who, up until Sunday, was killing it at the age of 40. That's impressive. That's worth talking about. And I hope he comes back next year because the league is more exciting when Brett Favre's old ass is on Sunday Night and Monday Night football 3-4 times a year and leading a really talented young team into the playoffs.

Actually, statistically, he IS better than Marino and Aikman.

To me, Brady is the most overrated QB in football, he took up the mantel from Troy Aikman.

But, I think by the time Peyton's facing retirement, he will be recognized as one of the greatest QB's of all time.

oh and PS: As much as I was rooting for a Manning/Farve Super Bowl, but after watching the NO/Minn game, I can't say either team deserved to go to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
So the Tampa Bay Rays are possibly being forced out of Florida. I heard this from a Psych webchat where John Cena was with Dule Hill (Cena guest stars in tonight's episode) and Cena had mentioned this. I thought it was a joke, but it's true. They are looking to either come to the Southern part of Connecticut or New Jersey if they move. Even though the Rays are contracted to play in Tropicana field through 2026, looks like that may no longer be the case.

Andre Dawson's going into the Hall as an Expo. :lol:

okay... how is this, oversexualized/objectification of Lindsey Vonn?

ept_sports_oly_experts-416916678-1265247935.jpg

The article in question is here.

Heh, the site's probably crashed because of Yahoo Sports' hotlinking to the article. Fortunately, i still had the page up, so I'm copy/pasting.

I've thought to myself and predicted out loud that leading up to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics that we would see a LOT of Lindsey Vonn in the media.
Vonn is first a GREAT athlete, but she also represents norm of feminine attractiveness. The combination of athleticism and attractiveness make Vonn the likely poster girl of the US Olympic Team, and the media hasn't disappointed in constructed her as such.
Not to be left out, Sports Illustrated is featuring Vonn on their February 8,2010 cover (pictured here). For those of you who follow SI Covers, know that female athletes are RARELY featured on the cover.

2007 Sports Illustrated Covers Featuring Women
Over the last 60 years researchers have shown that about 4% of all SI covers have portrayed women.
When females are featured on the cover of SI, they are more likely than not to be in sexualized poses and not in action–and the most recent Vonn cover is no exception.

Latest posts

Back