Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man post-Spider-Island (ASM #674 and beyond)

So #680-681 were okay, I always like when Johnny and Spidey team up. The stories are pretty good and I'm looking forward to "Ends of The Earth" (#682 was pretty good too, btw) but I think what's missing from this book right now is Peter's supporting cast. Jameson and the crew at Horizon have been featured recently, but I miss Harry, Aunt May, Flash, Betty, Robbie, and most of all MJ. I was just thinking today how much I like Spidey's new status quo (working at Horizon, JJJ as the Mayor of New York, and Spidey as an Avenger, everything except that he's not married to MJ). I like that they took some risks and aren't just rehashing the same ole stuff, but I think I want some more of Peter's personal life in the comics. Besides that, I'm loving it.

So #680-681 were okay, I always like when Johnny and Spidey team up.

So do I, but the whole thing about being in space was pretty crappy. Spider-Man does not belong in space.

So do I, but the whole thing about being in space was pretty crappy. Spider-Man does not belong in space.

Yeah, but it's not like he's constantly in space. He went to space for two issues to save John Jameson - who's been a supporting character and an astronaut since issue #1. And he took Torch with him, who goes into space a lot, and it ties into Doc Ock's "master plan." (dun dun dun)

So I find it very forgivable.

By the way, they keep using the phrase "master plan" because Doc Ock went by the name "Master Planner" for a while back in the 60s.

[video=youtube;pele5vptVgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc[/video]

Last edited:
So what do we think of Ends of the Earth so far?
I think it's cool to get a Spidey/Silver Sable team-up. We haven't had one of those in a while.

And I like that Spidey's getting some respect instead of looking like the jr member of the Avengers like he usually does. Slott has done a good job of setting up Doc Ock as a credible threat even to the Avengers.

I'm not a big fan when writers make Spidey a globe-trotting pulp hero. I don't think it works because you lose everything that makes Spidey "Spidey" and turn him into a crappy, generic superhero.

Doc Ock's plan is a good one though.

I'm not a big fan when writers make Spidey a globe-trotting pulp hero. I don't think it works because you lose everything that makes Spidey "Spidey" and turn him into a crappy, generic superhero.

Agreed, and this is why I don't like having him in the Avengers.

Did you guys see the spoilers for #698 that are going around?

By the time I saw mentions of it, they were already taken down.

There is a Youtube video that goes through the book. I don't have the link, though.

E said:
Did you guys see the spoilers for #698 that are going around?

Nope.

EDIT: here it is. NSFW (language)

[video=youtube;Zpo8ilDVWRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpo8ilDVWRA[/video]

Basically it looks like
Doc Ock switches bodies with Peter Parker and then Peter dies in Ock's body.

Not surprising, but ugh.

Last edited:
Yeah. I just read it.

It's kind of an OK idea but I can't see how it fits in. If Doc Ock's consciousness is in his body, he wouldn't be talking about how he's always done certain things or how things used to be, etc.

Decent idea, bad execution.

Doc Ock pulling the old switcheroo is fine; switcheroo happens all the time, its an old trope.

Killing off your hero completely and expecting your audience to stick around as your villain basks in his victory... I can't understand that decision.

I haven't read it yet.
Maybe it's a temporary thing? Maybe they'll find out later that Doc Ock never actually pulled the old switcheroo, just made him think he had as a last act of revenge? I don't know.

I haven't read it yet.
Maybe it's a temporary thing? Maybe they'll find out later that Doc Ock never actually pulled the old switcheroo, just made him think he had as a last act of revenge? I don't know.

For what it's worth, a preview for #700 shows Peter
in some kind of afterlife, where he meets his parents, Uncle Ben, Gwen, Captain Stacy, and other dead friends

Obviously it's temporary, what I mean is this: the switcheroo is that villain is now posing as the hero, so the hero is trying to prove to his friends they've switched bodies, ultimately does and switches back. That's the form and its fine. Now, you may have twists, turns and departures from that form (like the hero never getting back) BUT the point is the hero is trying to get back his life.

Now, another thing you can do that's part of the fun of the switcheroo is that the audience starts to empathise with the villain. This isn't required, but can be a lot of fun, as it is in FACE/OFF.

But whether the hero gets his body back or the villain becomes empathetic, the whole *spine* of the story is "the hero tries to get back his body".

If you *kill* the hero as soon as they switch bodies, who's driving the story? Well, it has to fall to one of the hero's sidekicks, but who? This is Spider-Man, not "Black Cat", and so who drives the story?

It's a self-defeating premise. Killing Spidey doesn't work because without Spidey, no one is driving the story. Even if you trapped Spidey in a prison for 12-issues, you could have him trying to break out (imspiderman.com) and then if he does, he's a fugitive and on and on, all the while Doc Ock has his own solo book or takes over the main book and is front & center, but Spidey has to be there or there's no story.

EDIT: Apparently, Spidey is in the afterlife fighting to get back, which would be akin to a prison except it still doesn't work; the *threat* of the story, what's at stake is Spidey's life. If he's in the afterlife with his family and friends and comes back to life, there is no jeopardy. Even if you have Doc Ock kill MJ, so what? *Shes in heaven now*. Even if Slott can somehow rectify these basic structural problems, these would only be solutions to problems that should never have existed.

Slott's better than this.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it happened either, which leaves Slott plenty of room in changing the game to fit whatever thing he needs to get Spidey back in his own body.

Latest posts

Back