The Apple Products Thread

im going to london at the end of august. my current phone is this one: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2100-366.php

i've had it since freshman year of high school (I'm going to be a college junior), and it has served me well- ridiculously long battery life (i call lots of people, and it lasts 1-2 weeks), reception everywhere, etc. however, the buttons hardly work on it (i have to put balled up paper into the connector holes under the keypad), i have no texting (and who would want it with these buttons), and it is in general just dying.

AT&T is my provider.

the question is, should i invest 200 bucks on a new iPhone (3G) before I go to London? Or should I save my money so that I can use it in London?? hurm.

the question is, should i invest 200 bucks on a new iPhone (3G) before I go to London? Or should I save my money so that I can use it in London?? hurm.

You can't use it in London unless you want to pay unbelievable roaming fees. I mean, it's really ridiculous. Search online for horror stories of people coming back to the US and being faced with extra thousands of dollars on their phone bills.

You can get an overseas roaming package but I believe that too is ridiculously priced.

Has anyone tried the Remote app?

It's pretty cool, even though I have absolutely no practical use for it. (I don't have an Apple TV thing, I could always use FoxyTunes to control music from my web browser and I don't use usually use my computers speakers....But it's still just kind of neat.)

It's pretty cool, even though I have absolutely no practical use for it. (I don't have an Apple TV thing, I could always use FoxyTunes to control music from my web browser and I don't use usually use my computers speakers....But it's still just kind of neat.)

I love Remote and use it all the time, my home stereo is the output for my AirTunes, so it's nice being on my bed drawing, and being able to use my iPhone or my Touch to control the playlists, etc.

Last edited:

I use it at work. I plug my speakers into my Mac and control iTunes with my iPhone. It's good for Last.fm; if I listen on my iPod it doesn't update unless I sync.

Remote would be awesome if it could stream through the phone, and I could be outside working and listening to anything in iTunes on my phone. Hopefully they do that in the next update.

So I just installed the latest version of iTunes and Quicktime Player and now every time I go to close it it freezes. I then CTRL ALT DEL it to end program and it goes away... and then pops up. Every time. I can't get rid of the program at all. I googled it and apparently it's a problem with other applications using iTunes. Supposedly last.fm can do this too... grr.

So I just uninstalled last.fm... and it's still doing it. WTF? WHY?!

Seems everyone has the same problem... this is why I don't update.

Last edited:
So I just installed the latest version of iTunes and Quicktime Player and now every time I go to close it it freezes. I then CTRL ALT DEL it to end program and it goes away... and then pops up. Every time. I can't get rid of the program at all. I googled it and apparently it's a problem with other applications using iTunes. Supposedly last.fm can do this too... grr.

So I just uninstalled last.fm... and it's still doing it. WTF? WHY?!

Seems everyone has the same problem... this is why I don't update.

Please don't use the hyperbole of "everyone has this problem". Yes, a few people have it, and the easiest fix is to uninstall, and reinstall iTunes (and/or run disk defrag). If you need them, I'll include the instructions on how to back up your iTunes info (like playlists, etc).

First, deauthorize your iTunes account. I dunno if you ever buy music from iTunes, but just to be safe.

1. Navigate to your iTunes music folder (usually - C:/Documents and Settings/<your user name>/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/)

2. Find and copy the files: "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library". Put them somewhere safe, like your desktop. (would be wise to back up your music too, dunno how many times people accidentally deleted their music while deleting iTunes)

3. Uninstall iTunes.

4. Run Disk Defragmenter, then reboot.

5. Reinstall iTunes, but do not open the application.

5a. If you deleted your iTunes folder in My Music, put it back.

6. open the saved "iTunes Library" file woth notepad/wordpad. It should look like a mess of random characters. Select everything and delete, so it's a blank page. Save and close it.

7. Put the back up copies of "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" in the iTunes folder (if asked to overwrite, say yes).

8. Open iTunes, it'll eventually tell you that your library file is damaged and would you like to fix it, select "Yes".

That should fix your problems. The instructions are great if you ever need to move your music to a new computer as well.

Please don't use the hyperbole of "everyone has this problem". Yes, a few people have it, and the easiest fix is to uninstall, and reinstall iTunes (and/or run disk defrag). If you need them, I'll include the instructions on how to back up your iTunes info (like playlists, etc).

First, deauthorize your iTunes account. I dunno if you ever buy music from iTunes, but just to be safe.

1. Navigate to your iTunes music folder (usually - C:/Documents and Settings/<your user name>/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/)

2. Find and copy the files: "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library". Put them somewhere safe, like your desktop. (would be wise to back up your music too, dunno how many times people accidentally deleted their music while deleting iTunes)

3. Uninstall iTunes.

4. Run Disk Defragmenter, then reboot.

5. Reinstall iTunes, but do not open the application.

5a. If you deleted your iTunes folder in My Music, put it back.

6. open the saved "iTunes Library" file woth notepad/wordpad. It should look like a mess of random characters. Select everything and delete, so it's a blank page. Save and close it.

7. Put the back up copies of "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" in the iTunes folder (if asked to overwrite, say yes).

8. Open iTunes, it'll eventually tell you that your library file is damaged and would you like to fix it, select "Yes".

That should fix your problems. The instructions are great if you ever need to move your music to a new computer as well.

That's solid.

I have a different problem. My main installation of iTunes is on my Mac and works fine, but on my XP machine I cannot install iTunes at all. It is a brand new Windows install on a brand new hard drive, and I haven't had any other problem. It goes through the installation and when it gets to installing Quicktime it freezes up at the registration part. I even tried older versions of iTunes - no dice. Same thing, every time.

That's solid.

I have a different problem. My main installation of iTunes is on my Mac and works fine, but on my XP machine I cannot install iTunes at all. It is a brand new Windows install on a brand new hard drive, and I haven't had any other problem. It goes through the installation and when it gets to installing Quicktime it freezes up at the registration part. I even tried older versions of iTunes - no dice. Same thing, every time.

I know it's going to sound like a stupid question, have you tried rebooting and defragmenting the hard drive?

I am following Skotti and E's instructions and advice at the moment... so far so good. Thanks guys.

Just to clarify... this is the one that's already in the folder and not the one I've copied to the desktop, right?

Just to clarify... this is the one that's already in the folder and not the one I've copied to the desktop, right?

nono, sorry I didn't make it clear. You're going to want to work with the one that you've copied to your desktop. You'll use the two files save to your desktop to replace the ones in your iTunes folder.

Well, I did everything and it still freezes when I try to exit out. Thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll wait for Apple to release a patch or something. :(

Well, I did everything and it still freezes when I try to exit out. Thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll wait for Apple to release a patch or something. :(

I'll look around for a fix.

Question I forgot to ask, is this doing it whenever you use iTunes, or just when you're synching your ipod?

Last edited:
I know it's going to sound like a stupid question, have you tried rebooting and defragmenting the hard drive?

Yes, and the drive is brand new so it's not fragmented at all.

It's part of a RAID but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I have plenty of other software installed.

I'll look around for a fix.

Question I forgot to ask, is this doing it whenever you use iTunes, or just when you're synching your ipod?

Just when I try to exit iTunes. I haven't even tried syncing my iPod as I've read about all the music being erased on it over at the Apple Support forums...

I HAVE DEFEATED IT.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1275

I used the above and now iTunes closes without freezing. I just hope now that I've changed all those settings that other programs don't **** up.

Yatta!

I was checking the support stuff this morning, and it looks like you found the solution before I did.

Now off to try and figure out E's dilemma.

E, are you running antivirus/spyware while trying to install?

Latest posts

Back