The Apple Products Thread

I just updated to 5.0.1 via over the air updates. Much better than having to plug in to iTunes.

Didn't you have an iPhone 4? And aren't you still under contract? Why would anyone bother with this upgrade? The 5 is likely going to be a huge upgrade over the 4 and 4S.

Aside from a case redesign, and *maybe* 4G, I don't see the iPhone5 as being the "huge upgrade" the press is expecting. The A6 CPU (Quad Core) won't be ready for the iPad until Q2 2012, and probably won't see die shrink small enough for the iPhone till Q3 2013.

Looks like Apple is looking at a record 5 Million Macs sold in this quarter.

Also, testing out the whole iTunes Match thing, I've a feeling this is going to make me very happy, since I generally do Lossess audio, I can't fit most of my music onto my iPhone.

What's iTunes Match?

basically, if you have music from CD rips/torrents/other music stores, you can essentially launder them for $25. Which is nice, because I have some bad rips and some old 96 - 128k format. Most of my gallery is lossless, and I hate the "compress to 128" option in iTunes, so this gives me the ability to access all my music via the cloud on my iPhone.

I wish iTunes Match streamed like Amazon Cloud or Google Music. The way it works now is completely useless to me.

basically, if you have music from CD rips/torrents/other music stores, you can essentially launder them for $25. Which is nice, because I have some bad rips and some old 96 - 128k format. Most of my gallery is lossless, and I hate the "compress to 128" option in iTunes, so this gives me the ability to access all my music via the cloud on my iPhone.

None of this makes any sense to me. Launder rips? Access music via the cloud?! I'm 31, and I feel like an old man from a bygone era.

Last edited:
None of this makes any sense to me. Launder rips? Access music via the cloud?! I'm 31, and I feel like an old man from a bygone era.

Here's what it means: iTunes unveiled a new service called iTunes Match. For $25/year, you can store music in the cloud (read: on their servers) to access anywhere.

The amusing aspect of this is that with one of the features, the music industry seems to have given up, on some level, against piracy. When you subscribe to the service, iTunes will scan your music library and rather than needing to upload songs to the server, which would take a long time for a large library, it will just see that you have the song and allow you access to it, already on their server. So even if the music was downloaded illegally, iTunes will see that you have it and basically make it legitimate at no extra charge. And on top of that, they will improve the quality to 256kbps!

Now, Apple paid the music industry a huge fee to be able to do this (I think one report said $25 million), but as fervently as the music industry has fought against piracy, it seems like they are letting a LOT go by allowing this.

The cloud is, possibly, the most frightening name they could've given an invisible and growing information cyberspace thing. It's sweet, harmless name is just a cover!

The cloud. It forecasts Armageddon.

While I love iTunes Match so far. I wish they'd licensed Shazam's algorithms instead of the vastly inferior GraceNotes Listen. I have imported CDs (Example; Gorillaz - Gorillaz), and that album is on iTMS, and 3 tracks will not match, at all.

One cool thing I noticed. I rip my CDs in Apple Lossless, both Matched and Uploaded, when I download from the Cloud to my iPhone, it auto converts to the smaller 256k, even the Uploaded.

Here's what it means: iTunes unveiled a new service called iTunes Match. For $25/year, you can store music in the cloud (read: on their servers) to access anywhere.

The amusing aspect of this is that with one of the features, the music industry seems to have given up, on some level, against piracy. When you subscribe to the service, iTunes will scan your music library and rather than needing to upload songs to the server, which would take a long time for a large library, it will just see that you have the song and allow you access to it, already on their server. So even if the music was downloaded illegally, iTunes will see that you have it and basically make it legitimate at no extra charge. And on top of that, they will improve the quality to 256kbps!

Now, Apple paid the music industry a huge fee to be able to do this (I think one report said $25 million), but as fervently as the music industry has fought against piracy, it seems like they are letting a LOT go by allowing this.

you know, for $50/month why not just allow for full access to the library in it's entirety, with a netflix aspect or PS+ where you own the songs as long as your paying the fee. But if you downgrade or cancel then you're only allowed access to the music you've purchased/own.

Still, it's a pretty neat and smart idea. For 25 mil, I think Apple made out like a bandit on this deal.

you know, for $50/month why not just allow for full access to the library in it's entirety, with a netflix aspect or PS+ where you own the songs as long as your paying the fee. But if you downgrade or cancel then you're only allowed access to the music you've purchased/own.

Still, it's a pretty neat and smart idea. For 25 mil, I think Apple made out like a bandit on this deal.

Because renting music never works, ask Microsoft. Okay, with the "canned Apple fan" answer out of the way. Mostly, it was because Zune Market has failed, is why the RIAA didn't let Apple do something like that. Personally, I think there's should have been iTunes Music Match for those of us who prefer to "own" our music, and iTunes+ for a subscription service. As a music fan, I don't think it's being subscription, is what caused Zune Market to fail, I think it was the ubiquitous nature of iTunes/iPod/iPhone that killed Zune Market.

Plus, there are exactly 0 people on this planet who would pay $50/month for that feature. They have a hard enough time getting people to pay what they are paying now.

Plus, there are exactly 0 people on this planet who would pay $50/month for that feature. They have a hard enough time getting people to pay what they are paying now.

even $15/mo was too much for most.

Now, $50/yr for access to the entirety of iTunes, I'd soooo pay (i'll be honest, I'd pay $100/yr) for that.

I'd probably pay that if it was steaming on demand...

I have to admit, loving the Messages Beta right now.

Me too. Besides being handy to use messages on my Mac it seems to have (at least temporarily) fixed the message syncing issue between my iPhone and iPad.

Alright, I've been having issues with my trackpad.

Started about a week ago, it was intermittent, now it's all the time. Basically it seems to not respond to my movements, and the pointer goes in it's own direction, using right to left, without any movement from me.

The clicking doesn't work either, either clicking several times (which leaves me on random pages) or it secondary clicks.

To make my computer usable, I had to disable the trackpad almost completely. Any ideas on what is going on?

Alright, I've been having issues with my trackpad.

Started about a week ago, it was intermittent, now it's all the time. Basically it seems to not respond to my movements, and the pointer goes in it's own direction, using right to left, without any movement from me.

The clicking doesn't work either, either clicking several times (which leaves me on random pages) or it secondary clicks.

To make my computer usable, I had to disable the trackpad almost completely. Any ideas on what is going on?

How old is the computer? The track pad might be wearing out. Is it under warranty?

If anyone is interested in a like-new 16GB iPod Nano (6th generation) let me know...

Latest posts

Back