The Beatles discussion thread

I was really intrigued by the first trailer when I thought it took place in the present day and took place as society lead up to a World War III-type scenario, but after I found out it was still the 60s I lost interest.

Everyone I know outside this board who's seen it ADORES it though, from my-agers to a ton of people from the Beatle generation including both my parents. My sister owns it. I intend to watch it sometime soon.

My favorite part of Across the Universe is when Bono shows up and the plot literally disappears for a half an hour in favor of surreal musical numbers.

No really, most of the songs up until that point are at least placed within some kind of narrative context but then Bono starts singing "I Am the Walrus" and everyone gets on the crazy LSD bus with him and disappears. Then they go to some bizarre circus with Eddie Izzard singing "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and then they sing "Because" while swimming around naked. This literally takes up 20-30 minutes of the movie, and then they're just inexplicably back in New York and the plot picks up again and they make some occasional vague references to going away on the bus.

Okay, I tried watching it... I really tried enjoying it, but Across the Universe is arguably one of the worst things I've seen in a long time.

Listening to remastered Abbey Road right now. So far my rankings as far as albums that seem to have benefited most in being remastered would be Abbey Road > Rubber Soul > Revolver > Help! > Sgt. Pepper's > The White Album > Magical Mystery Tour.

I've never been a big fan of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" but *******, is it just the remastering or has the second half always sounded that amazing?

EDIT: Yeah, Abbey Road is still my favorite album of theirs. Basically perfect. Like they took everything they do well and did it better than they ever did before.

Last edited:
No really, most of the songs up until that point are at least placed within some kind of narrative context but then Bono starts singing "I Am the Walrus" and everyone gets on the crazy LSD bus with him and disappears. Then they go to some bizarre circus with Eddie Izzard singing "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and then they sing "Because" while swimming around naked. This literally takes up 20-30 minutes of the movie, and then they're just inexplicably back in New York and the plot picks up again and they make some occasional vague references to going away on the bus.

Yikes.

I will have to see this for myself.

Listening to remastered Abbey Road right now. So far my rankings as far as albums that seem to have benefited most in being remastered would be Abbey Road > Rubber Soul > Revolver > Help! > Sgt. Pepper's > The White Album > Magical Mystery Tour.

Really? Abbey Road is where I heard it the least, along with Let It Be. I just think that mixing and recording technology and techniques came so far by 1969 that there wasn't a lot more they could do, compared to earlier albums - especially Rubber Soul and Revolver, which without a doubt benefited the most - where they were so far ahead of existing recording technology.

By the way, the remasters all sound great but if you want to be blown away listen to Love with a good pair of headphones. The songs there are all remixed (obviously) and the sound is incredible. The remasters are just that and haven't been remixed, so sonically they are still limited to whatever passed for mixing standards the day they were done.

More thoughts, just because I'm on a major Beatles kick right now (check out my Last.fm):

I've never been a big fan of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

I find this interesting because I know you like Revolution 9 and I feel the complete opposite about the two songs. I've always loved "I Want You" and even more so in the way it was used on Love (which was BRILLIANT and sounds even more amazing than the remaster).

I always thought Revolution 9 was extremely self-indulgent and transparent. I joked earlier that it was nothing more than John trying to prove to Yoko that he was avant-garde enough to bone her...but I was only half-joking because I really do think that was the case. The only thing interesting about it is the supposed "Paul is dead" clues in it. It's not art. There is no substance.

But "I Want You"...what a masterpiece. It drips and oozes lust and frustrated passion. This is John completely enamored with Yoko and frustrated that he's not cool enough to bone her. And the ending...I haven't figured out how that works into that interpretation but it's awesome. Especially in relation to "Her Majesty"; side 2 of the LP ends exactly the same - extremely abrupt.

On that note, the two songs work in tandem. "I Want You" has John lamenting that he can't have her, and "Revolution 9" has him deciding to give it a shot and clumsily trying to score.

The Beatles are so awesome.

Well I think you're completely wrong about "Revolution 9" but I'm sure you expected me to say that. To discredit it entirely is to say that it has no effect on the listener and no point, but if that song doesn't creep you out or have some effect then I'm not sure if you're human. Plus, while we're spoiled by computers and modern technology, I can't even imagine how much trouble it was to make a sound collage out of samples back then. I just think it's a perfect climax to the album. The 80 minutes of scattershot music you just heard, the general atmosphere of tension and discomfort that surrounded the recording of it, all folded together into eight minutes of surreal terror. It's only natural, after all that you've heard at that point, that the band push 'music' to its very breaking point, followed brilliantly by of all things an orchestral lullaby.

And it goes back to that Opinz article I wrote about Metal Machine Music. Someone has to go as far as possible, to the point of becoming unpalatable, so that at least the ceiling is broken and someone else can start making something of it. In this case of course, we're talking about sampling, something that has become invaluable in hip-hop, electronic music, and so much else, but before then was the realm of avant garde composers and not pop musicians. I really do think that the huge amount of experimental music that emerged in the 70s - krautrock, noise and industrial music, various bands before and after punk - as far as they seemed from The Beatles, wouldn't have existed if The Beatles hadn't proven as thoroughly as possible that pop musicians can do whatever the hell they want.

I do see a point of comparison in "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". In those guitars, I hear Sonic Youth, noise rock, shoegaze, genres and ideas whose roots were only just forming, being explored by the biggest band in the world.

Both songs were made for the same reason, I think: The Beatles made them because they were The Beatles, and they did ****ing everything.

[/rant]

Last edited:
Plus, while we're spoiled by computers and modern technology, I can't even imagine how much trouble it was to make a sound collage out of samples back then.

I'm more impressed by the creation of a stereo mix that was constructed so closely to the mono version...

I watched all of the mini documentaries last night. They're great. They're like the Cliff's Notes versions of Anthology. I think even some of the footage is from Anthology actually.

Have you seen this?

batman222june1970.jpg

I was going to wait until Christmas and make someone get Beatles Rock Band for me because I'm cheap and Christmas break will be the only time I have to actually play it, but seeing this makes it really hard to wait:

[youtube]JbgZ1opIZNU[/youtube]
Have you seen this?

batman222june1970.jpg
I'm pretty sure it's the one who got shot by a fan.

Reminds me of this:

jimmyolsen79.jpg

That intro video is even more glorious on a 42 inch display running at 1080p

and the outtro video is equally brilliant

and every "dreamscape" is freaking jaw-dropping

I was going to wait until Christmas and make someone get Beatles Rock Band for me because I'm cheap and Christmas break will be the only time I have to actually play it, but seeing this makes it really hard to wait:

:shock: trippy
I'm pretty sure it's the one who got shot by a fan.

no it turns out that the one Rock star that they think is dead (the equivalent of Paul) turns out to be the only one who is still alive. The other three died in a plane crash and were replaced.
Reminds me of this:
jimmyolsen79.jpg

:lol::lol:
oh, Jimmy!

Last edited:

That is indeed awesome.

Reminds me of this:

jimmyolsen79.jpg
:lol:
I love how Superman assumes that Jimmy could never reach John or Paul level popularity. Or alternately, Supes is a huge Ringo fan and really meant it as a compliment.

no it turns out that the one Rock star that they think is dead (the equivalent of Paul) turns out to be the only one who is still alive. The other three died in a plane crash and were replaced.
Wow.

I think they got The Beatles mixed up with Lynyrd Skynyrd.
:lol:
I love how Superman assumes that Jimmy could never reach John or Paul level popularity. Or alternately, Supes is a huge Ringo fan and really meant it as a compliment.
supermanheartsringo.jpg

Latest posts

Back