The Beatles discussion thread

Re: Teh Beatles OMG FINALLY LOL!!!!!!1111111

Heh.

I downloaded a higher quality copy of "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society" in stereo and mono from one of the links marvelman sent me and guess what? I prefer the mono. I suppose it just varies.

Anyways, check this out - Paul McCartney doing the first ever live performance of A Day in the Life (leading into Give Peace a Chance):

[youtube]fMCeN6ZA3V4[/youtube]

I've finally got a copy of every UK album in either mono or stereo format. Now I just need to grab all the songs I'm missing, a process that will probably take vast lengths of time. :(

I've finally got a copy of every UK album in either mono or stereo format. Now I just need to grab all the songs I'm missing, a process that will probably take vast lengths of time. :(

There are 2 Past Masters volumes that collect all of the singles, b-sides, and compilation tracks that weren't on any Beatles UK album. If you get all of the UK albums and the 2 Past Masters volumes, you have everything they released commercially.

i think he has the vinyl versions though...

if you want all the singles and EPs in vinyl format quality, PM me your email address and i will see what i can do.

Last edited:

i think he has the vinyl versions though...

Shouldn't matter. The CDs are just replicas of the UK albums after all.

Past Masters 1 & 2 still collects everything not on the British albums, no matter what format they are in.

That's okay, I don't really care about the different versions/quality at the moment. I just want to listen to the songs.

Found both Past Masters albums on Megaupload. Downloading now. Thanks.

That's okay, I don't really care about the different versions/quality at the moment. I just want to listen to the songs.

Found both Past Masters albums on Megaupload. Downloading now. Thanks.

The funny thing is that the Past Masters albums have some of their biggest hits on them.

Today, on a whim, I decided to download some of the Purple Chick "Beatles Deluxe" albums. They are quite good.

But what really blew me away was one called "Meet The Threetles" which collects rehearsals from the Anthology stuff, and includes "Real Love" with the tape slowed down to the original speed. The released version has Lennon's vocal sped up and it's pretty distracting because it sounds funny.

But the slowed down version is so beautiful it sent chills down my back the whole time I was listening to it.

So I've been on a Beatles kick recently for some unknown reason and have downloaded the three Anthology albums and that Love remix thing.

Man, the latter is pretty amazing. I love how everything sort of flows together. I think I'm going to be listening to this for ages. It's beautiful.

YES.

Capitol to release remastered Beatles catalog September 9, 2009

THE BEATLES' ENTIRE ORIGINAL RECORDED CATALOGUE REMASTERED BY APPLE CORPS LTD. AND EMI MUSIC FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE ON SEPTEMBER 9, 2009 (9-9-09)

London, England - April 7, 2009 - Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles' core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.

Within each CD's new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. With the exception of the 'Past Masters' set, newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

A second boxed set has been created with the collector in mind. 'The Beatles in Mono' gathers together, in one place, all of the Beatles recordings that were mixed for a mono release. It will contain 10 of the albums with their original mono mixes, plus two further discs of mono masters (covering similar ground to the stereo tracks on 'Past Masters'). As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD. These albums will be packaged in mini-vinyl CD replicas of the original sleeves with all original inserts and label designs retained.

Tons more info (and pics!) in the link. This is so huge.

The remastered albums come out Tuesday and have leaked - there are FLAC versions available for each (stereo anyway - I haven't seen one for mono).

The sound is incredible. I've just been doing spot checks here and there comparing to the 1987 CD masters but they sound a thousand times better. The sound is much fuller and less tinny. The lows sound great. I'm noticing the most difference in Rubber Soul/Revolver but everything sounds amazing.

I'm trying to find some good links but having no luck. I could probably do with just downloading Rubber Soul and onwards but the best I've found is the whole thing split into parts, like 20 of them, and I know megaupload has a 24 hour download limit. Hm.

Never mind, links found, I've got most of it downloaded.

i was just looking at this on Beatles.com

the mono set is $50 more and doesn't include Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, or Past masters (but it has 'Mono Masters, which i assume is the tracks from Past Masters that were recorded in mono)

are the mono recordings better quality or something? why would you pay more to get less?

Yeah, some albums are definitely better in mono, which might factor into it, but overall that's a bit silly. I don't intend to buy the box sets. I'm not a fan of CDs and I don't think I'd pay $250 for any single music release, no matter what I thought of the artist.

Just listened to Revolver. As a whole it definitely sounded better, but the only songs I thought sounded significantly better were "Love You To", "Good Day Sunshine" (amazing remastering), and "Tomorrow Never Knows" - which sounds even more crazy and ahead of its time.

Listening to Sgt. Pepper's right now.

EDIT: ...which I have to say is sounding quite a bit fuller than Revolver did...

Last edited:
I'm listening to Revolver and it sounds... louder, for lack of a better word. It stands out more - it "pops." I think I'll probably download the FLAC versions of all of these albums.

One question; to import FLAC files into iTunes, you need a plug-in, correct?

i was just looking at this on Beatles.com

the mono set is $50 more and doesn't include Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, or Past masters (but it has 'Mono Masters, which i assume is the tracks from Past Masters that were recorded in mono)

are the mono recordings better quality or something? why would you pay more to get less?

It's really targeted toward collectors. And the mono box set was initially limited to 10,000 but they announced they were going to make more due to demand.

Long story short - back in those days the mono mixes were considered the most important mixes. Radio stations were all AM which isn't stereo, and stereo mixes were done as a sort of novelty. So a lot of songs are different between mono and stereo - it's not like they just took the stereo mixes and reduced them to a single track, they actually did two separate mixes. The differences are most evident on the White Album, but again unless you are a serious collector you either probably wouldn't notice or wouldn't care if you did.

One question; to import FLAC files into iTunes, you need a plug-in, correct?

I've never heard of one that lets you but I'd imagine something has to exist. I usually just convert the FLACs to WAV and reencode the WAV files.

I've been listening to some of the mono masters - many of which I'm hearing for the first time.

There's a part in the mono I Am The Walrus where the drums drop out and adds an odd kind of punch in the middle of the song - sounds cool. It doesn't do that in the stereo version.

Also, in Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, the vocals have this very drugged-out spaciness to them that don't show up in the stereo version.

I was listening to Sgt. Pepper and I realized that it's one of my least favorite Beatles albums. Several of the songs I don't even know the words to and I'm just not as impressed with the music on the album as a whole as most people are. Abbey Road and the White Album are much more interesting, cohesive, and complete. And the songs are better.

I'm the opposite way around. Sgt. Pepper is one of my favourites and while I do like the White Album and Abbey Road, they're not ones I listen to first.

My rankings, from favorite to least favorite, compilations not included:

White Album
Abbey Road
Revolver
Love
Let It Be...Naked
Let It Be
Please Please Me
Anthology 1, 2, & 3
Rubber Soul
Magical Mystery Tour
Live At The BBC