The Bendis Debate

Do you like BENDIS!

• Total voters
plastikpulse said:
I think that Bendis tells amazing stories and he's not just writing crap to pad out a story arc.

This is exactly what he does. He says he puts 'story' and 'character' first, as if action can be neither or is less important.

It's sheer nonsense. Character is revealed through action, verbal or physical. This is what makes story.

'Story' and 'Character' is not people sitting around discussing things that are going on. That is the definition of 'crap to pad out a story arc' as all it ever is, is exposition designed to continually repeat what has been going on in previous issues to fill out space since there are not enough things going on. Scenes are more than just people talking at each other.

House of M, Hobgoblin - virtually his arcs are just crap to pad out stories. There is no action, and there is no character because character is only revealed through action. His characters, his stories, and his action, when he bothers to write it, are like his dialogue - a stuttering, repetative mess.

plastikpulse said:
Yeah, I might be trying to get a rise out of him. I just can't see how someone would say Bendis doesn't deliver? It's mind-boggling

Fair enough. Tell you what - tell me how he delivered on something that was the first 25 issues of USM or his Daredevil run. Just tell me on how he delivered and I'll show you a non-ending deus ex machina that he wrote because he couldn't be bothered to write an ending, or thought that the 'story' was telling him to end it without a point.

Or... we could agree to disagree. I've kinda said my peace several times now. :)

It's not just the stories, his dialogues pretty much sucks.... I mean...everyone talk like the same... You can't tell if itt's spider-man or Captain America or Doc Strange if you don't see the panel...this is not right :evil:

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
It's not just the stories, his dialogues pretty much sucks.... I mean...everyone talk like the same... You can't tell if itt's spider-man or Captain America or Doc Strange if you don't see the panel...this is not right :evil:

I don't have this problem when I read USM or Daredevil or New Avengers.

Now that's where you're TOTALLY wrong. Show me where Captain America or Doctor Strange spill out jokes like Spider-Man and act 'immaturely'.

You can't. Because they don't.

icemastertron said:
Now that's where you're TOTALLY wrong. Show me where Captain America or Doctor Strange spill out jokes like Spider-Man and act 'immaturely'.

Have you seen the last New Avengers? Cap's trying to be funny... he can't be funny, he's freacking captain america...and ppl all talk the same way.

You're right.

But if they did crack a joke, it would be the same as Spider-Man's.

I dunno what's worse - that Bendis has his characters all sound the same whenever they do something similar, or that Spider-Man has one dimension, "immature" (with Ultimate Spidey's being "guilt-ridden") which is exemplified by no one else having that dimension, and people claim he writes full, three dimensional characters.

Have you seen the last New Avengers? Cap's trying to be funny... he can't be funny, he's freacking captain america...and ppl all talk the same way.
He tried to crack one smalljoke, and didn't have the 'attitude' that Spider-Man does it with. So no, you're still wrong.

Bass said:
You're right.

But if they did crack a joke, it would be the same as Spider-Man's.

I dunno what's worse - that Bendis has his characters all sound the same whenever they do something similar, or that Spider-Man has one dimension, "immature" (with Ultimate Spidey's being "guilt-ridden") which is exemplified by no one else having that dimension, and people claim he writes full, three dimensional characters.

THANK YOU!!!

Oh c'mon, have you read powers? They all talk the same way, and his doing this now in the marvel universe.

You know one of Bendis' amusing cliches that really gets to me lately? It's not the stuttering, or the talking alike or the deus ex machinas. It's the rant-page.

It's when a character sits on his tuchas taking crap from some guy like he or she is the ******* of the year. Then just when he can't take it, he/she looks up and says "I can't take this!" and follows it up with a long rant that says something to the effect of "I don't deserve this!" "What did I ever do to you?" and "You think I woke up this morning and ASKED for this to happen to me?" and basically accusing the crap-disher for being a righteous ***.

In all cases, the character is usually correct. The crap-disher IS a righteous ***. But after awhile those rants just all start to sound the same. Hell, most of them even feature at least one panel with the character pointing his finger at the guy giving out the verbal abuse. and the readers get to 'feel' the moment by being that guy staring down the barrel of that finger.

I know I sound angry, but it bugs me so much, it just invites lame parody that my girlfriend and I make fun of it so much.

icemastertron said:

You are narrowing the argument. What he's saying is that the way they talk is similar. I agree. It's not any one thing they say, it's their speech pattern.

Cap and Spidey should NOT have the same speech pattern.

ourchair said:
It's when a character sits on his tuchas taking crap from some guy like he or she is the ******* of the year. Then just when he can't take it, he/she looks up and says "I can't take this!" and follows it up with a long rant that says something to the effect of "I don't deserve this!" "What did I ever do to you?" and "You think I woke up this morning and ASKED for this to happen to me?" and basically accusing the crap-disher for being a righteous ***.

In all cases, the character is usually correct. The crap-disher IS a righteous ***. But after awhile those rants just all start to sound the same. Hell, most of them even feature at least one panel with the character pointing his finger at the guy giving out the verbal abuse. and the readers get to 'feel' the moment by being that guy staring down the barrel of that finger.

I know I sound angry, but it bugs me so much, it just invites lame parody that my girlfriend and I make fun of it so much.

You forgot where they start smashing stuff. :D

Dude?! How could you possibly use that as an argument when it's stated in the comic how out of place Captain America is for trying to be funny.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Dude?! How could you possibly use that as an argument when it's stated in the comic how out of place Captain America is for trying to be funny.
Because he's out of actual discussion material, so now he's throwing whatever he thinks he can use.

There is no action, and there is no character because character is only revealed through action.

This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Character is only shown through action? How does that account for all the non-action character development in any comic ever? Anyway, I'm out. I'm not going to keep this argument up because it will get reduntant and just sort of piss me off. We can agree to disagree.

plastikpulse said:
There is no action, and there is no character because character is only revealed through action.

This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Character is only shown through action? How does that account for all the non-action character development in any comic ever? Anyway, I'm out. I'm not going to keep this argument up because it will get reduntant and just sort of piss me off. We can agree to disagree.

You are taking action as only meaning physical action i.e. fighting. That's not what he meant. Action simply means doing things. What Bass is saying is that Bendis relies too much on things like dialogue and physical expression.

He does have a point about constantly repeating things that have already happened. That drove me nuts in Hobgoblin.

Bass said:
Bull****.

Like you have a girlfriend, you pinko homo scum.
Not that he really has anything to prove but...

03.jpg

[makes 'angry face']

And you know what? How come the burden of proof always falls on us, huh?

[panel repeats]

You think because you're some self-appointed Nexus of the Universe, keeping things in cosmic harmony, you can just vent your bile on the rest of us little people every time your panties bunch up.

[panel repeats, only this time with a little spittle flying out my lips]

I'm serious. I'm sick of it. You don't realize how many people there are who routinely put up with your charade of nigh omnipotence, because it's harder to convince you otherwise. We're foolish enough not to break your heart, by pointing out that you're just a flawed human being underneath that veneer of quasi-godhood. So we let you play these stupid games, even when it makes life hell for the rest of us.

[pointing furiously at Bass]

Doesn't it ever get through to you?

[head bowed slightly; pinching bridge of nose in contemplative resignation]

You know what? Never mind. Just go off and do your whole Nexus routine, or whatever the #$*! it is you do out there, when you're on the forums. Just don't come back wondering why i'm in such a pissy mood.

;)

*achem* Getting back on topic...

Last edited:
Did you just search Jammi's old site just to post that picture?

compound said:
[angry face]

And you know what? How come the burden of proof always falls on us, huh?

[panel repeats]

You think because you're some self-appointed Nexus of the Universe, keeping things in cosmic harmony, you can just vent your bile on the rest of us little people every time your panties bunch up.

[panel repeats, only this time with a little spittle flying out my lips]

I'm serious. I'm sick of it. You don't realize how many people there are who routinely put up with your charade of nigh omnipotence, because it's harder to convince you otherwise. We're foolish enough not to break your heart, by pointing out that you're just a flawed human being underneath that veneer of quasi-godhood. So we let you play these stupid games, even when it makes life hell for the rest of us.

[pointing angrily]

Doesn't it ever get through to you?

[head bowed slightly; pinching bridge of nose in contemplative resignation]

You know what? Never mind. Just go off and do your whole Nexus routine, or whatever the #$*! it is you do out there, when you're on the forums. Just don't come back wondering why i'm in such a pissy mood.
Your Bendis rant-pacing is off. I wish you sent this to me so I could've edited it to be more Bendisy.

ourchair said:
Did you just search Jammi's old site just to post that picture?
Yup! I also wanted to see just how much had been archived. You'll realize why very soon ;)

ourchair said:
Your Bendis rant-pacing is off. I wish you sent this to me so I could've edited it to be more Bendisy.
Edit it? [a beat] Edit it? Dude, you take this waaaay too seriously.

Latest posts

Back