The Boys

pffffft.... I grew up in the country, lady. I was raised in Deep Georgia, where (despite everything I heard in the media) I saw more interracial relationships and less racism than any of the cities I've been. Folks aren't more stupid, and they don't **** animals. There is a LOT of meth, though. a LOT of meth.

So I take it you don't watch family guy. Yeah, there have been three meth labs busted since the begginning of this year, but for another thread. I don't wanna get yelled at. So can anyone tell me the character names and what they do that's so great. Also, why is there a werewolf blowing a guy with a zorro mask? And why there is a guy that looks like shawn of the dead in a spy van?

So I take it you don't watch family guy. Yeah, there have been three meth labs busted since the begginning of this year, but for another thread. I don't wanna get yelled at. So can anyone tell me the character names and what they do that's so great. Also, why is there a werewolf blowing a guy with a zorro mask? And why there is a guy that looks like shawn of the dead in a spy van?

Yeah. I've been watching Family Guy since day one. ****'s funny. I'm just irritated because I live in Atlanta and have to deal with all these loud, obnoxious yankees who come here to live and ***** about everything.

In regards to Teenage Kix, here's my theory. The Seven is a brutally obvious riff on the Justice League (and DC comics in general). They even have an analogue for all the classic JLA'ers. I'm pretty sure Teenage Kix is supposed to be a riff on the Marvel style of super hero teams, but I'm guessing Ennis couldn't be as explicit with that because of possible civil infringement. I don't think we have the tools to determine who (if anyone) the characters are analogs for, but I think it's more a parody of the companies than the teams themselves. This issue was the first appearance of the Kix, so we don't know much about them. We don't know anything, really, except that A-Train, who was a TK member got promoted to the Seven. Wee Hughie's girlfriend was a casualty of a fight between A-Train and a super villain. She literally got ran through, and her body got torn from her arms.

And Butcher and his buddies are going to rock all their faces.

I've been surfing the net and checking out reviews and the future of The Boys is not looking good as far as my collection goes. It reads to me like a whole lot of pointless scenes for shock value. Preacher is one of my favorite comics ever so I wanted to hope that The Boys would be for me but... it seems not. If anyone has any opinions with or against me, I'm all ears.

I've been surfing the net and checking out reviews and the future of The Boys is not looking good as far as my collection goes. It reads to me like a whole lot of pointless scenes for shock value. Preacher is one of my favorite comics ever so I wanted to hope that The Boys would be for me but... it seems not. If anyone has any opinions with or against me, I'm all ears.

Those reviewers are wrong. The first issue (and the second for that issue) felt like needlessly glorified violence and ****ing to me, but I shouldn't have underestimated Ennis. It's a smart book, but just a different kind of smart book from Preacher. I think there's going to be a lot of metaphor for the comic book industry in it, and Ennis is really setting the stage to explore pretty much every niche of superhero comics in a hyper-realistic manner. Hughie's an incredibly sympathetic character and whiel the rest of the Boys seem like hard SOB's, he's really setting them up to make them believable, three-dimensional characters. The book's really revving up, and it's going to be great in a couple of issues.

So #6 just finished the "Cherry" arc.

Ennis has really made this one of the must read books. Since there's not a spoiler tag at the top I'll just put these few notes in spoiler markings....

- Hughie kills Blarney **** by accident in battle. Huge remorse and whatnot.
- Butcher revelas why he does this----his wife was raped and impregnated by a "supe" and she died when the baby fetus was kicking inside her....or something to that nature. He doesn't know who it was exactly but he's gonna find out. It is obviously hinted to the readers that it's the Superman character of The Seven.
- Hughie decides to stay on the team.

That reveal by Butcher really gave him some depth. I hope to hear more about the other members of the team.

Still a must-read for any Ennis fan or anyone really.

It deffinatly started that way. I've dropped the book but since I get my comics online I received the latest issue and can say that its vastly improved. If Ennis had put the level of characterization into the last two issues into the first four I'd have stayed on. As is might pick up some issues later on to see how its coming.

...that poor hamster.

...that poor hamster.

BWAHAHAHA! :lol:

and all the tape involved. :lol:

But yeah....some of the issues were really lacking some character development and just progress in the storyline altogether. Instead they just served as a purpose for Ennis to put some really ****ed up and funny panels in there. If he had stuck with the development in say issue 3 and 4---the arc might've actually felt like something. The first arc just ended and other than Hughie making a decision that could've been made in issue 3 or 4...I still feel like nothing has happened yet.

Normally I'd drop a book by now for lack of story----but its Ennis....so I'll give him another arc or 2 before I decide on what to do with this. I mean hey---Fables started out slow too. :D

Last edited:
I stopped reading preacher when a redneck was ****ing a chicken. I don't live too far from people like that. I live in the city but the country isn't too far away. And alot of the settings happen in Texas which I thought was cool. But yeah, the chicken ****ing was a turn off and then when the girl gets ressurrected by what I'm guessing was God. That was little bit of a turn off.
Well to be fair, you have to understand that Ennis pulls off that sick insensitive kind of humor simply because he tends to exploit his perspective as a non-American to make cheap gross swipes at the entire spectrum of American culture.

I get the feeling he does this to show that Anglophonic culture is not the same as American culture, which is a mistake that many people make (regardless of whether or not they are in fact American), simply becuase American media has a very hegemonic presence among Anglophones, when in fact America has a very specific and nuanced way of being different from other Anglophones, for better or worse.

Of course, sometimes Ennis just doesn't know how to execute that and the result is a really bad joke with no taste or point at all. His best moments are perhaps when he does both --- make intelligent points with bad taste.

Well, that's that for this series. Oh well, I wanted to like it but dropped it after three issues. I haven't consistently followed an Ennis title since Hitman ended and I really planned on staying with this one, but it didn't do it for me.

And I guess it didn't do it for a lot of people since it just got cancelled.

fiddlesticks. i was really enjoying this. first nextwave, and now this. well, hopefully, as they were saying in the article, they'll find another publisher and keep it going. pretty sudden, though. i mean the next one was coming out next week.

I'm not too surprised. I think it was getting to the point where Ennis just wanted to see how far he could go. If it gets another publisher I might give it another chance. Depends on if Robertson comes back or if I'm interested in the other artist.

Atleast I have a full run now. :D

Goddammit.... I can't believe this got canceled. That's such a huge disappointment...

Although, I'm really surprised it got as far as it did in the first place. He was bashing DC pretty intensely. If it gets a new publisher, he can be even more extreme with it.

From what I saw. DC is being really friendly with Robertson, they are reverting the rights so they can find another publisher for the story.
There are many issues that could made DC do it. He was bashing the whole caps community, wich is not a good thing to make in a mostly superheroes publisher.
I think it was a bad move since it had so many readers, but DC is handling this extremelly good. This could be a nightmare if the rights would go to a neverending battle.

It's a shame that it got cancelled......but the idea had been done before. Only this time it had Ennis' flare for the vulgar.

I liked it....even loved it at points. But I'll take what I can get. I'll grab the TPBs and add it to the future Ennis Collection.

Re: For those who read THE BOYS....

I read the first issue, and wasn't that interested. Just typical Ennis stuff. Apparently it got better, so maybe I'll download it someday.

If anyone can pony up the link to where we were discussing it, I'll merge the threads.

Its deffinatly getting better. 6 issues from now its either be great or I'll be disgusted with myself for still buying it. either way I think I'll still be buying it...

I doubt that. :)

Latest posts

Back